The Talking Deafie

But seriously, everyone not born deaf. Listen and think. It is really hard to develop spoken language if you never heard it.

If isn't prejudice against post lingual deaf, but it is just stupid to say you can talk if you were post lingual deaf. Because obviously of course you could. It is redundant.

I could really get on my soapbox about this.

But seriously, everyone not born deaf. Listen and think. It is really hard to develop spoken language if you never heard it.

If isn't prejudice against post lingual deaf, but it is just stupid to say you can talk if you were post lingual deaf. Because obviously of course you could. It is redundant.
yes. a few born completely deaf can talk and I find that pretty amazing

let's not lol

I am the ones who is born completely deaf and can talk.

Yeah, that's right - retired them in 2001

then you learned how to speak when you had sound. that's different from what I'm talking about. A deafie learning how to speak with no hearing sound at all. no HA, no CI, nothing. that's amazing.

Last edited:
still feel I qualify. I am late deafened, but I didn't start talking until age 5 and I had speech therapy. Even though I didn't know about a deaf community until about 5 years ago, I still feel like I belong.
AWESOME!!!! Yeah, we're not saying you guys aren't really deaf. Just pointing out that we prelingal dhh folks had to deal with extensive speech therapy *shudders*

Count me in also, I'm a talking deafie too, many hearing people were surprised that I'm deaf because of the fact that I can talk very well. :dunno: I do know sign language (SEE, PSE and ASL) ;)

then you learned how to speak when you had sound. that's different from what I'm talking about. A deafie learning how to speak with no hearing sound at all. no HA, no CI, nothing. that's amazing.

Count me out then.. :io:

Count me out then.. :io:

oh no no you stated that you can talk so you're still in.

I was just talking about what I'm amazed about - a deafie born completely deaf who has never heard a sound in his/her entire life..... and yet he/she can talk.

I am kinda talking deafie... I can talking and signing same time, but most ASL.

I am kinda talking deafie... I can talking and signing same time, but most ASL.

hmm just to make sure - are you able to verbally communicate with hearing people fluently?

My grandma's deaf sister can talk. She didn't use hearing aids and I don't think they were widely available when she was younger anyhow. My grandma is in her 80's and she is older than her, so that should give you idea generation she came from.

Anyway, She sign in ASL mostly, but will talk if she have to. She talked to my grandma all the time but she rather communicate in ASL so she have to rely on her daughter for interpretation (her daughter is hearing). I should mention that she was a residential deaf school student (VSDB) all her life.

I guess I am out then. I hear around 95 dB with my HAs. That's pretty deaf. Does that count?

I guess I am out then. I hear around 95 dB with my HAs. That's pretty deaf. Does that count?

oh i was just talking about something else added to this thread. I KNOW there are deafies out there who were born completely deaf and can speak so if there are ADers who fit that description - c'mon! confess to me now! :)

and of course - you're still in :)

let's not lol

epgml5.jpg

High Horse?

Back