The Talking Deafie

It is a given late deafened people can speak.

He is talking about those of us who are pre-lingual.

I know, which is why I didn't even mention that I can speak. But in terms of if I sign only, speak only, or both, I think the question still applies.

I know, which is why I didn't even mention that I can speak. But in terms of if I sign only, speak only, or both, I think the question still applies.

:hmm: Can you use voice production if you were born deaf is a completely different question.

:hmm: Can you use voice production if you were born deaf is a completely different question.

Some are born HOH.. so does the question still applies to them as well? Since they grew up orally and learned ASL later on in life..

Some are born HOH.. so does the question still applies to them as well? Since they grew up orally and learned ASL later on in life..

Probably if they could not learn speech from hearing it.

Got my first set of hearing aids when I was four.. I had mild to moderate hearing loss back then and each year my hearing goes downhill. So I learned to speak by hearing the sounds and taking speech therapy. Other words I grew up orally.

No, it's not an AG Bell debate. I just think there.s a difference between being oral deaf and having oral skills. Oral skills says that you can speak but you also have sign abilty.
Now here's an interesting debate. Back in the old days of Dumbnotes, there was a certain VERY bitter little boy who was postlingally hoh (learned speech like a hearing person) BUT claimed to be "oral deaf", just b/c he'd had some articualtion therapy.
I'm a talking deafie since I had dhh speech and language therapy as a little girl.

I was born profoundly deaf and yet was able to develop good speech like hearing people but yes, there were moments when people recognized my deaf accent. It depends on my mood and my laziness.

We're always the misfits. Never quite part of "this" group or "that"... **sigh**

I still feel I qualify. I am late deafened, but I didn't start talking until age 5 and I had speech therapy. Even though I didn't know about a deaf community until about 5 years ago, I still feel like I belong.

I was born severe HOH in both ears.. I never could hear without my hearing aids. But not deaf enough to hear with hearing aids.

I was born profoundly deaf and yet was able to develop good speech like hearing people but yes, there were moments when people recognized my deaf accent. It depends on my mood and my laziness.

Me too. I was born with a severe to profound loss. I can't remember the last time people recognized my deaf accent.. Five or more years ago, I think. People ask me if I'm deaf only when I keep asking them to repeat themselves.

My loss is in the profound range now.

Late deaf here, get the swatter! (run awwaaay) (I will go sit on the fence with Deaf Doc) Sigh, neither here nor there.

Late deaf here, get the swatter! (run awwaaay) (I will go sit on the fence with Deaf Doc) Sigh, neither here nor there.

Form a group with Deaf Doc to vent. If you don't hate hearies , you could invite Rockdrummer and CJB.

:laugh2: Nope, having been a former hearie, I have no hate. Hehe, however, I do tend to avoid a fly swatter in the hands of able deafies. Like the rest - exit, stage left.

:laugh2: Nope, having been a former hearie, I have no hate. Hehe, however, I do tend to avoid a fly swatter in the hands of able deafies. Like the rest - exit, stage left.

I have no hate either. I just like accuracy. I love to play Castle Age with Deaf, Late Deaf, Hearing, etc.

Back