The road begins to hear once again!!!

Yay! Can't wait to see your posts after activation, too! We're all glad you're doing well. :)

I finally got courage to walk upstairs after surgery and can post my results ..... Im one day into healing from surgery, the head band and all wrapping are removed. its a tiny lil bugger og a incision.I have a slight metallic " blood taste" in my mouth that comes and goes. and a slight popping going on in my ear when i lay down that poping is a lil painfull but not too bad.. tinnitus was friggen horrible last night but seems to be leveling out at a low hum right now. which is even better than it was before surgery. activation is 2 weeks away. I opted for the nucleus 5. Will post pics soon.... WEll gonna go back to bed as I'm a lil doped up still.. take care all.

Glad to see you doing well. As long as you keep a positive attitude and don't expect too much first time it's turned on you will be in great shape and enjoy hearing like you've been missing for a long time. I was real shook up first time they activated mine as I sat there for at least 5 min. and not hearing a thing. Thought it might not be working but finally heard a faint sound. I think they were just being carefully not to make it loud and do damage. Kind of sneaking up on it :) I will most likely take some time as things sound a bit different but boy it's nice to hear. mine has been active now for about three months and can even use fine and do fairly well most but not all the time. Lately it seems that sometimes I understand better and some times not as good? Could be that I am not paying attention. Glad to see you picked the Nucleus 5 and in case you did not know, it is the fist one that you can wear swimming or in the shower when you are using the rechargeable battery but not with the replaceable ones. They do not recommend putting your head under water or strong stream from shower but if you drop it in the water, just reach in and get it and dry it off and away you go again. Good luck and please keep posting.

I guess my experience at Sunnybrook/Toronto was much quicker.In early Jan/07 I was immediately referred by St Michaels ENT for Implant consideration. I was "deaf"examined in early Feb/07. Scan/physical examined in Jun/07. Operation July/07 and the Advanced Bionic Harmony Atria activated in Aug/07. I suspect that my extensive Hearing Help classes at Cdn Hearing Society/ Toronto showed I was a "good" candidate for an Implant. In the end-that is what happened as a number of "rehab" appointments were stopped last year. Just yearly reviews.
The choice of Advanced Bionics was made by the surgeon/staff. I have no complaints as to me unable to determine which of the 3 different companies is "best".
I became deaf on December 20/06 after losing all hearing in my right ear in Feb/92. Duly advised then likely to become deaf in the future.Almost 15 years.
Have read much of the discussion re Cochlear Implants as "genocide instruments of the Deaf culture" Harlan Lane et al and disagree-totally. All decisions re on getting my Implant were triggered by me. No regrets! Now ORAL deaf like Beverly Biderman/Toronto
Advanced Bionics Harmony Atria July07

I am one week into recovering from surgery. Things seem to be going well , albeit I have good days and bad days. I do have one question tho is it safe to try to sleep on the implanted ear cause my neck has begun to start acheing laying on just the one side of my head. and also My head at times feels like I had gotten in a fight and feels like its bruised " sore" ohh also I have this dripping effect inside my ear it feels like something is leaking into it I hope this is something I should still be experiencing.

The numbness is still present on my ear itself which isnt really all that annoying but feels weird. My tinnitus has been about the same as it was pre surgery but it does quiet down if I dont exert myself too much. I am also experiencing my balance is a tid bit off its like I am walking drunk sometimes I go see my surgeon on aug 6th hopefully he gives me the AOK to get turned on.
I really want to thank everyone on this forum for all the info about the implants, It's reassuring to know there are alot of other people like me out there in this world and that I have a place to come to and confide in my daily issue's with my loss.:ty:

I am one week into recovering from surgery. Things seem to be going well , albeit I have good days and bad days. I do have one question tho is it safe to try to sleep on the implanted ear cause my neck has begun to start acheing laying on just the one side of my head. and also My head at times feels like I had gotten in a fight and feels like its bruised " sore" ohh also I have this dripping effect inside my ear it feels like something is leaking into it I hope this is something I should still be experiencing.

I slept on my implanted side from day one as it's my favourtie sleeping side and never had problem. As per rest I have answered in the PM.

The numbness is still present on my ear itself which isnt really all that annoying but feels weird. My tinnitus has been about the same as it was pre surgery but it does quiet down if I dont exert myself too much. I am also experiencing my balance is a tid bit off its like I am walking drunk sometimes I go see my surgeon on aug 6th hopefully he gives me the AOK to get turned on.

I really want to thank everyone on this forum for all the info about the implants, It's reassuring to know there are alot of other people like me out there in this world and that I have a place to come to and confide in my daily issue's with my loss.:ty:

IF you have had auditory stimulation (hearing) during your earliest and formative years OR have become deafened, after having had hearing, I feel (from family experience) that the CI will be of real help to you. If you have NEVER had hearing, especially during your formative years, 0 to 4) the outcome will depend on your dedication to training to use the CI, which can be frustrating. Two CIs did not help my family member, it was a waste of time and money, but I know that newborns and young (the younger the better) usually do fare better and, of course, the post lingually deaf. God Bless. SK HH

Here's my newest tattoo.. My loverly scar from my implant surgery. It's the best tattoo I own :giggle:

scar.jpg
[/IMG]

Activation is set for tuesday 8-10 at 1pm. I have never ever been so excited in my life for anything. I soo hope it goes well, But I know it isnt going to be an easy road to ride. But this is my one shot at regaining something I've lost for 10 yrs and never thought I would be given it back. I have an apt with rachel at 1pm and at 230 pm on tuesday and then I go back to see her weds at 1pm. I will post back after activation to give ya all a heads up!!

Good luck! It looks like they didn't really shave your head much. :)

Activation is set for tuesday 8-10 at 1pm. I have never ever been so excited in my life for anything. I soo hope it goes well, But I know it isnt going to be an easy road to ride. But this is my one shot at regaining something I've lost for 10 yrs and never thought I would be given it back. I have an apt with rachel at 1pm and at 230 pm on tuesday and then I go back to see her weds at 1pm. I will post back after activation to give ya all a heads up!!

Awesome! I am having my 2 year review on the 8-11 !! Hope it all goes well for you, don't expect a lot. Good Luck.

Awesome! I am having my 2 year review on the 8-11 !! Hope it all goes well for you, don't expect a lot. Good Luck.

Yep dont go in expecting to hear perfect at first that will take time to hear with it good. As someone said it will seem robotic at first and probably be annoying. That will go away over a few weeks and youll notice more sounds that you havent heard in 10 years. It'll be a good experience. As for me I remember hearing my cat purr and the sound of coke fizzing when poured into a cup of ice. Follow your audis instructions but when i was activated i didnt wear it ALL the time at first. just a little more each day to get used to it. Good luck with it and remember to be patient it will take months for you to hear with it good.

Yea It's perfect timing too cause cochlear corp. is having a get together here in a town 20 mins away from me on the 17th for implantees and people looking into them. Gonna be neat to get others expeirence first hand.

I'll give you a heads up on something, when I went for activation before I left my audi filled out the registration papers for my stuff to send in to Cochlear. I always use my PO box for my mail so thats what she used. But Cochlear sends a welcome kit to recipients via Fed Ex and they don't deliver to PO boxes and I got a notice and had to go pick it up at the Fed Ex place which was an hour away. I'd think they will still send that welcome kit so be sure to use your actual address for registration of your equipment if you use a PO box.

Awesome! Let us for sure know how A-Day goes! My friends daughter got soooo much stuff on her A Day a few weeks ago...And really cool that you get to go to a Cochlear event..we don't have any in our area but we are trying to see if it's possible to arrange one here:)

Had my post op with surgeon today.. ALL electrodes are inside my cochlea and are all functioning. It is amazing how well the body adapts He was pushing hardcore on the implant i guess to make sure theres no puffyness or anything and i was amazzed it didnt hurt or get sore. incision is all healed and ready to go. SO roll on tuesday yahooo

Yes he should get alot of stuff. When I went for activation I left with a BIG box full of stuff and it was the size of a small suitcase!

Good luck and you will really be surprised. Don't get excited as you well may set there for what seems like ever before you hear the slightest sound but once you get to that point then the rest will come much faster. I'm talking about getting all the tones set to volume, then things start to happen. for me the sound seemed like it was about three feet from my head/ear. Gradually came closer and now all natural and where it belongs :) I may be different than some but I put mine on the Minuit I get up and they are the last thing to come off at night. Still find myself wondering what "that" sound is? Go in on the 18th for first three month mapping.

Glad everything has gone well so far. Good luck with activation!

Back