The quest for silence

Really: that humans have evolved with our hearing/speaking being "eliminated" to other possibilities over time? Don't recall much discussion on this. Is this some future "happening"? Now future neuroscience to consider.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

To the best of my knowledge humans haven't evolved that much to "discard body parts" which have been previously utilized.

Actually,they have. Might want to check that claim out.

Yup - one of the most common examples is the appendix. (of course there's other things like Wisdom Teeth etc all of which were critical for our ancient ancestors - but are no longer and often have to be removed today because they can actaully become harmful)

Anij: I don't consider our Cochlea in the same category as one's appendix or even wisdom teeth. Just consider what our Cochlea does in comparison to our appendix. Its use is definitely of value to most people!

Anij: I don't consider our Cochlea in the same category as one's appendix or even wisdom teeth. Just consider what our Cochlea does in comparison to our appendix. Its use is definitely of value to most people!

Let's think a bit loud. Sure nature can ditch functions within todays cochleas in the future. Check the numbers of HOHs(HA companies loves loud headspeakers) on the rise in america, and the decrease of violence the same time. Nature obviously either want homo sapiens to listen to music or go deaf. War is a tool nature use to control the size of the population. Why is so many hearing people enaged into wars, compared with deaf people? Deaf people have deafhood, community, culture, international sign language, ILY handshape. The world is embracing sign language among toddlers. Sign language is on the increase in media.

Are spoken languages sensitive to misunderstanding and hate because of it's limits to include body language and facial expressions when we communicate? The communication between two deaf people from two different cultures is superior compared to two hearing people from different cultures. Is the nature, in it's sublime ways, in the beginning of a crusade against spoken languages?

This claim is a result of imaginative thinking, with less support in hard science. But so are claims about the importance of the Cochlea for each human individual or the humankind.

The idea that cochleas not operating in the manner the majority do, allways must be facilitated and utilized with electric amplifiers to perceive a limited range of sounds is also a product of the same imagination.

Flip: one can wonder why humans have Cochleas amongst other body parts eg arms legs etc. Yeah you are right- a philosophical question. To the best of my knowledge humans haven't evolved that much to "discard body parts" which have been previously utilized. It is a different question on how can deal with "missing something". eg hearing. I can easily empathize with you -as stated before-I became totally deaf on December 20, 2006. This will never change. When I disconnect my implant- immediate silence!
Again Flip much success in your new "adventure in silence".

Sure you aren't projecting your experiences with your cochlea over on my experience with my cochlea?

No Flip I am not projecting my Cochlea experience to anyone else are you? It clearly seems to me a substantial portion of humanity does USE the cochlea's function as "hearing".Why not?
As for your bald assertion that nature uses "hearing persons" to make war to keep the
"hearing" population down?-doesn't make sense.A philosophical question: how is "nature" an entity to effect such a proposition? Are you in fact making "nature"- God? As for your further assertion re deaf persons being peace loving etc- is completely unsupported! A person signing in ASL can easily "understand" a person signing in SSL (Spanish)?-again unsupported.
As for the "crusade" against SPOKEN language this is wholly only in your imagination only. Why do humans have vocal chords-if not to speak?
As for "body reading" do deaf person have some special ability to ACCURATELY "READ ANOTHER PERSON"? Like you being deaf I guess I should have this "special ability" from the last 4 years.
My Hearing loss problem was sensor- neural/genetic. Having this "type" was why the Cochlear Implant was possible. I knew from 1992 I would become deaf when I lost all hearing in Right ear. The ENT clinic eliminated tumours/cancer etc. Yeah it happened on December 20, 2006. Thus my ongoing study of deafness/ASL. and Cochlear Implants. As for your further claim that the increasing deafness is the way of the future seems to be negated by the very fact of the success of Cochlear Implants-- "creation of science". Plus the vast decrease of previous deafness problem- eg meningitis etc. Decrease in "deaf" people? Enough for now-off to real work: Deaf swimming!

Last edited:
No Flip I am not projecting my Cochlea experience to anyone else are you? It clearly seems to me a substantial portion of humanity does USE the cochlea's function as "hearing".Why not?
As for your bald assertion that nature uses "hearing persons" to make war to keep the
"hearing" population down?-doesn't make sense.A philosophical question: how is "nature" an entity to effect such a proposition? Are you in fact making "nature"- God? As for your further assertion re deaf persons being peace loving etc- is completely unsupported! A person signing in ASL can easily "understand" a person signing in SSL (Spanish)?-again unsupported.
As for the "crusade" against SPOKEN language this is wholly only in your imagination only. Why do humans have vocal chords-if not to speak?
As for "body reading" do deaf person have some special ability to ACCURATELY "READ ANOTHER PERSON"? Like you being deaf I guess I should have this "special ability" from the last 4 years.
My Hearing loss problem was sensor- neural/genetic. Having this "type" was why the Cochlear Implant was possible. I knew from 1992 I would become deaf when I lost all hearing in Right ear. The ENT clinic eliminated tumours/cancer etc. Yeah it happened on December 20, 2006. Thus my ongoing study of deafness/ASL. and Cochlear Implants. As for your further claim that the increasing deafness is the way of the future seems to be negated by the very fact of the success of Cochlear Implants-- "creation of science". Plus the vast decrease of previous deafness problem- eg meningitis etc. Decrease in "deaf" people? Enough for now-off to real work: Deaf swimming!

My point was that we are discussing subjective perspectives, not facts.

We could go on and compare polarized and subjective ideas against each other for years.

Subjective perceptions is just that which can be "tested against reality".

Real deafness-silence- happened December 20, 2006
Implanted -Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

It seems for most people the "output" of their Cochlea is hearing perceptions by the brain. So far " nature" hasn't "eliminated" it yet. In the future-perhaps transfer of one mental thoughts- how effected?

Real deafness-silence- happened on December 20, 2006
Implanted -Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Back