The quest for silence

flip

Reaction score
It was disappointing to see my thread closing after only two days.

I didn't get the chance to thank some of you for your support and for really trying to save my thread from derailing into a mess. It's easy to see that two hellbent parents just couldn't stop, so know that I don't blame the rest of you.

I also question how Calvin solved this.

Btw, this monday I've an appointment with the doctor. We will work with my ASL therapy, with some mini weights for fingers. I am so excited :):)

Yay!!!!!!!! Work on your ASL!

I have a little finger strengthener with separate push downs for each finger.

I have a little finger strengthener with separate push downs for each finger.

All those finger weights that I took in my ASL classes lead me to a lifetime commitment to weightlifting hence my super super "cut" body when I turned 30. No joking!

Good luck. :) Bet learning ASL will be more funner than learning other languages!

*keeps looking at "LEARN ASL IN 5 MINUTES" advertisement and scoffs "Bullshit. Takes more time than that!!"* Gotta try it out myself... *nods*

All those finger weights that I took in my ASL classes lead me to a lifetime commitment to weightlifting hence my super super "cut" body when I turned 30. No joking!

Pics or it didn't happen. :cool:

Good luck. :) Bet learning ASL will be more funner than learning other languages!

*keeps looking at "LEARN ASL IN 5 MINUTES" advertisement and scoffs "Bullshit. Takes more time than that!!"* Gotta try it out myself... *nods*

I was in the same shoes as you were at 25 years old when I took my first ASL class. 13 years later, ASL is the dominant language I use in my daily life.

I was in the same shoes as you were at 25 years old when I took my first ASL class. 13 years later, ASL is the dominant language I use in my daily life.

Damn takes years! Wonder if my college offers ASL classes and have some deafies over there... Next year class registration is tommrow... :deaf:

Idk idk idk idk!

It's like learning Spanish from the very bottom! :eek3: I think a everyday learning ASL program would be best for everyone new into ASL like vocabulary list from Youtube w/ captions for each word! :D

Damn takes years! Wonder if my college offers ASL classes and have some deafies over there... Next year class registration is tommrow... :deaf:

Idk idk idk idk!

It's like learning Spanish from the very bottom! :eek3: I think a everyday learning ASL program would be best for everyone new into ASL like vocabulary list from Youtube w/ captions for each word! :D

For some, they learn it within months, for others, it takes years. In my situation, I was married and pregnant when i was in college so I didnt have time for socializing to become fluent in ASL in a shorter amount of time. Going to Gallaudet for my MA degree did the trick.

For some, they learn it within months, for others, it takes years. In my situation, I was married and pregnant when i was in college so I didnt have time for socializing to become fluent in ASL in a shorter amount of time. Going to Gallaudet for my MA degree did the trick.

Yeah just can't fit in a "ASL Learning" schedule in my life just like that, but I'd probably say the same thing years from now so... :whistle:

got to "sit down" and see what the deal is just like OP (flip)... :cheers:

Thanks for the support and great ideas. I ordered a powerball with maxium lighting effects online yesterday for additional therapy. I'm not taking this easy, it's a matter of improving my life drastically, after all!

Phew. That visit to the doctor was challenging. First we talked about my upbringing in both the deaf and hearing world.

The doctor was concerned that I was too depedent on the hearing world to make the immersion into a silent world. It seems that deaf people who have lived in a hearing world for a prolonged time, more or less lacking experience with deaf people are prone to failures. But I told the doctor I won't let that stop me. I'll work hard to success, it's about opportunies!

Then we went on training with weights. Boy, that was tiresome on the hands. I'm too tired to show the fingers to anyone at the moment!

Then she did something that I am not sure I appreciate, but I guess it's a part of the work one have to do to become a better human with more resources. She asked me to remove the HAs for a short moment, not forever like I am going to do on friday, and close the eyes. Then she tramped with her legs, and I had to try to feel where the vibrations came from on the floor before she hit me with a boxing glove. I manged to locate her a couple of times, but it was not enough to avoid me become dizzy and sore in the head. But I know it will be worth it in the long run!

I'll report more on how this develops.

Cheers from a still excited, Flip!

Phew. That visit to the doctor was challenging. First we talked about my upbringing in both the deaf and hearing world.

The doctor was concerned that I was too depedent on the hearing world to make the immersion into a silent world. It seems that deaf people who have lived in a hearing world for a prolonged time, more or less lacking experience with deaf people are prone to failures. But I told the doctor I won't let that stop me. I'll work hard to success, it's about opportunies!

Then we went on training with weights. Boy, that was tiresome on the hands. I'm too tired to show the fingers to anyone at the moment!

Then she did something that I am not sure I appreciate, but I guess it's a part of the work one have to do to become a better human with more resources. She asked me to remove the HAs for a short moment, not forever like I am going to do on friday, and close the eyes. Then she tramped with her legs, and I had to try to feel where the vibrations came from on the floor before she hit me with a boxing glove. I manged to locate her a couple of times, but it was not enough to avoid me become dizzy and sore in the head. But I know it will be worth it in the long run!

I'll report more on how this develops.

Cheers from a still excited, Flip!

Who was the referee in the ring? :eek3:

The doctor was concerned that I was too depedent on the hearing world to make the immersion into a silent world. It seems that deaf people who have lived in a hearing world for a prolonged time, more or less lacking experience with deaf people are prone to failures.

Really?? Is that really true?? I have lived in a hearing world all my life and I have tried too hard to fit in there, and since I dont know ASL well enough, I dont even fit in the deaf world! So I am sort of lost in between!! Maybe its time I start getting serious about my ASL, even though I don't have anyone to sign with.

I like your posts here Flip, keep it coming!!

before she hit me with a boxing glove
Sounds like she was trying to knock some sense into you for ignoring her "advice" to not make the immersion into a silent world.
Totally inappropriate. Plus hitting you with the boxing glove should be considered abuse. I would look for another doctor and report this one to the authorities.

Back