The quest for silence

Really?? Is that really true?? I have lived in a hearing world all my life and I have tried too hard to fit in there, and since I dont know ASL well enough, I dont even fit in the deaf world! So I am sort of lost in between!! Maybe its time I start getting serious about my ASL, even though I don't have anyone to sign with.

I like your posts here Flip, keep it coming!!

+1. In the same boat, but I got to stick to my decision like this fellow. Learning ASL for me would be taken easy if I ever get started... Gotta focus on one thing. :deaf:

Yes keep the posts coming flip!

Having read the above comments- hard to connect "lifting weights" with learning ASL? To me- seem to be discrete activities.
Also, the idea of getting "used to your silence" over extended time which will be your reality-now. What time frame where you considering? How one reacts- entirely up to you! At least that was my reaction when I became deaf on December 20, 2006- not voluntarily!
Isn't ASL a "communication means to others- utilizing signs"? How it deals with "coping with silence" is a bit "obscure".
Good luck Flip in your "new life journey"

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Good luck, flip. Knowing your perserverence and your ability to find alternative ways to accomplish goals, I have no doubt that you will be hugely successful.

At least that was my reaction when I became deaf on December 20, 2006- not voluntarily!
I seriously doubt anyone becomes deaf voluntarily.

Don't forget this is alldeaf.com. Although I don't think one can "make themselves deaf" by choice- however what one does after the fact- is.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-harmony activated Aug/07

Good luck doing that Flip!

Lol, oh dear, poor you getting knocked by your doctor. I hope you enjoy the experience and take it step a time.

Hearing aids for me is very distracting (spelling?). I can't focus, but main reason I don't wear them anymore cos last analogue broken down. Wore it as long I did just for muum cos she will complain and moan all day long, so I just keep it in but switched off, she doesn't know the difference.

I seriously doubt anyone becomes deaf voluntarily.

Don't forget this is alldeaf.com. Although I don't think one can "make themselves deaf" by choice- however what one does after the fact- is.

Obviously you guys never heard of body dysmorphic disorder or body integrity identity disorder.

PFH- Yeah it has happened-deafness/voluntary-only on a computer screen. Reality?

PFH- Yeah it has happened-deafness/voluntary-only on a computer screen. Reality?

yes reality. it has happened in real life. i know a person who made herself deaf purposely.

Knowing ONE person that made herself deaf hardly suggests a massive case study in "voluntary" deafness! Probably in the same category as one who - chops their arms or legs- off!
Unfortunately she didn't have a psychiatric consultation before her action of "permanent silence".

Flip, sorry to have hijacked your thread when I responded to DrPhil's comment.
DrPhil, if you'd like to continue discussing voluntary deafness, please start another thread. Let's leave this thread to discussing Flip's desire to immerse himself in silence which he has every right to do.

Who was the referee in the ring? :eek3:

I understand you are shocked, but you know, those doctors allways know what is best, so guess I'll have to give her some thrust and see how it goes.

Really?? Is that really true?? I have lived in a hearing world all my life and I have tried too hard to fit in there, and since I dont know ASL well enough, I dont even fit in the deaf world! So I am sort of lost in between!! Maybe its time I start getting serious about my ASL, even though I don't have anyone to sign with.

I like your posts here Flip, keep it coming!!
As I've seen, activities with deafies is a great way to start learning to _use_ ASL. Any sport or culture(local performance group?) gatherings in your area? ASL deaf poker tours is a place to try out some ASL, too.

We just live once, so why not go serious!

Sounds like she was trying to knock some sense into you for ignoring her "advice" to not make the immersion into a silent world.
Totally inappropriate. Plus hitting you with the boxing glove should be considered abuse. I would look for another doctor and report this one to the authorities.

It was part of a new hugely succesfull method according to her, where one can't cheat. I HAVE to learn where vibrations come from to be successful. You know, no pain, no gain!

But you are right, it reminded me of abuse, I'll think about that one, thanks for the input, LoveBlue.

Having read the above comments- hard to connect "lifting weights" with learning ASL? To me- seem to be discrete activities.
Also, the idea of getting "used to your silence" over extended time which will be your reality-now. What time frame where you considering? How one reacts- entirely up to you! At least that was my reaction when I became deaf on December 20, 2006- not voluntarily!
Isn't ASL a "communication means to others- utilizing signs"? How it deals with "coping with silence" is a bit "obscure".
Good luck Flip in your "new life journey"

Lifting weights is to become more aware how I use my hands and control the fingers better so my handspelling become stronger and louder in ASL. Also remember to not read everything too literally here ;)

I hope to accomodate to the silence as quick as possible, that is, the rehab period will perhaps be a month? Then the brain will hopefully be 100 percent visual, on par with other stone Deaf born people, though I'm warned that it perhaps only will be 80 to 90 percent. That's anyway a great improvement over a brain disturbed with sounds, so I don't worry too much.

Good luck, flip. Knowing your perserverence and your ability to find alternative ways to accomplish goals, I have no doubt that you will be hugely successful.

In a flawed health and education system, it's perhaps time to make the "alternative" choice become the standard? ;)

Good luck doing that Flip!

Lol, oh dear, poor you getting knocked by your doctor. I hope you enjoy the experience and take it step a time.

Hearing aids for me is very distracting (spelling?). I can't focus, but main reason I don't wear them anymore cos last analogue broken down. Wore it as long I did just for muum cos she will complain and moan all day long, so I just keep it in but switched off, she doesn't know the difference.

Shh.. this is a public forum, we don't want to reveal all our secrets, don't we? ;) I'll take it slowly, promise.

Back