The new deaf generation....speaking and listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does nothing of the sort. It says "Deaf children learn to listen and speak fluently" meaning deaf children can learn to listen and speak fluently which says nothing about perfect hearing. Speaking fluently does require having perfect hearing. None.

Covering your butt somehow? :lol:

I wear two hearing aids and I have many peopletell me they notice that I have a "Southern accent"

So the tools used in helping people hear, do help people learn to speak, and distinguish accents.

I
"Self-determined modes of engagement" - it's not self-determined if the parent determined that for the child.

my point

I posted a comment to say that it's misleading to say "listen fluently" since CIs do not give you perfect hearing and they deleted it. Nice.
Say theres any other way and you get shut down

secondly, the film was sponsored by for CI companies - not exactly an objective stance. They are clearly pushing the image that a deaf child can only be functional and happy with CIs.
No but pushes kokonuts somewhat (he used to anti CI/pro stem cell opinion is fluid though)

I understood what inmate was saying, grammatically correct or not.
:ty: someone understands my anger filled rant my parents chose unaid AVT in 1993ish i chose sign cards

I wear two hearing aids and I have many people notice my "Southern accent"

So the tools used in helping people hear, do help people learn to speak, and distinguish accents.

Speaking of Southern accents, when I went to Rochester NY, just about everyone commented on my Southern accent (I grew up in VA) and I wondered how much of it was deaf speech and how much of it was Southern accent.

On the other hand, I still have trouble with heavy accents. It does't matter if it's accents from other parts of USA or Foreign accents. I used to have a co-worker who had a heavy Boston accent. She'd say things like I pached my cah in the paching lot. What she actually said was she parked her car in the parking lot.

Earlier this spring, I encountered a woman with a heavy Indian accent. My doctor also has an Indian accent but not as heavy as that woman. It was nearly impossible to understand her.

I used to speak with a Maine accent when I was six. I would say things like drawers this way: drawer as in how you pronounce draw with the er suffix added to it. That's because my 1st grade teacher who also was my speech teacher was from Maine.

They said "listen and speak fluently" - deaf children cannot hear fluently! Even with CIs, it's rare that they can "listen fluently". It's very very misleading information.

Speaking of Southern accents, when I went to Rochester NY, just about everyone commented on my Southern accent (I grew up in VA) and I wondered how much of it was deaf speech and how much of it was Southern accent.

On the other hand, I still have trouble with heavy accents. It does't matter if it's accents from other parts of USA or Foreign accents. I used to have a co-worker who had a heavy Boston accent. She'd say things like I pached my cah in the paching lot. What she actually said was she parked her car in the parking lot.

Earlier this spring, I encountered a woman with a heavy Indian accent. My doctor also has an Indian accent but not as heavy as that woman. It was nearly impossible to understand her.

I used to speak with a Maine accent when I was six. I would say things like drawers this way: drawer as in how you pronounce draw with the er suffix added to it. That's because my 1st grade teacher who also was my speech teacher was from Maine.

I have grew up here and went to New Jersey. People were fascinated with my accent. Most of them would say could not tell that I wore hearing aids. Now I am not sure if they were being polite or not. I know I do have a deaf accent as well.

:ty: someone understands my anger filled rant my parents chose unaid AVT in 1993ish i chose sign cards

I totally understand. My parents wouldn't give me any choices no matter how often I asked. My school years were hellish-years I would not wish upon anyone else.

They said "listen and speak fluently" - deaf children cannot hear fluently! Even with CIs, it's rare that they can "listen fluently". It's very very misleading information.

Totally agree.

I totally understand. My parents wouldn't give me any choices no matter how often I asked. My school years were hellish-years I would not wish upon anyone else.

I no the feeling

I felt this thread was "if rasied AVT dont question it stay AVT 4EVER"

They're not saying "listen fluently and speak fluently." The context of it all is about speaking fluently, not "listen fluently" which does not make sense when you consider the definition of the word "fluent." There is no such thing as "listen fluently" because "fluent" means to "express oneself effortlessly." It's already clear on what they meant when they said, "listen and speak fluently."

Fluently - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

fluently - definition of fluently by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

AVT? What's that?
audio verbal therapy-learning to listen and speak through hearing technology only. common for therapist to use a piece of paper to stop lipreading parents,teachers, are encouraged to use their hands to stop lipreading and common to get kicked out of programmes for signing

Gets confused with oralism all the time

the diffidence is oralism alouds for visual supports eg lipreading, cued speech, sign to some degree, deaf mates,spoken deaf school/program

AVT? What's that?

Caroline...brace yourself for what I am about to share...

AVT is an approach to teach deaf and hard of hearing individuals to "maximize the use of their hearing abilities." They cover their mouths while they teach them listening skills. They are against using visual cues or communication.

Professionals that use AVT believe that children who do not use sign language develop a more sophisticated use of their hearing and speaking skills. :blah:

WHAT?! My stomach just twisted right now. I can't believe this method exists. That sounds so...corporal and 19th century. Do they still use this method nowadays?

WHAT?! My stomach just twisted right now. I can't believe this method exists. That sounds so...corporal and 19th century. Do they still use this method nowadays?

very much so

those videos thanks to kokonut were AVT ads

As for tone and inflection, you CAN get that with hearing aids. Music was a huge huge part of my speech therapy in that it taught me rhythm and influctuations of tone - I learned to play musical instruments and music was always playing all day long in the house. furthermore, I have the ability to pick up accents and mimick them perfectly. So, it's misleading to imply that only kids with CIs can acquire that ability.

I think that statement refers to profoundly deaf children who can't get tone and inflection through hearing aids -- kids like my daughter -- who can only with the access to sound provided by CIs hear pitch and inflection and accents and acquire language and music naturally.

"acquire language and music naturally" - so she is naturally learning language on her own, no therapy of any kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back