The new deaf generation....speaking and listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that your patronizing speech is over, it would be a good time to exit.

lol! Deaf Issues = Discrimination Acts = Civil Rights

People don't look at a Deaf kid and cross to the other side of the street in fear and/or disgust!
Oh trust me they do. Yes, it may not be on par with 1880's pogroms or government/religion sponsored hate, but there is still a lot of hatred out there.
I got obscene letters sent to me in jr high,(the boys involved in that got a slap on the wrist), was made fun of and thought of as retarded b/c of the way I speak, I got my bike stolen simply b/c it was mine, I got asked if I was going to a "special school" after graduation (and THIS was in a HONORS Latin. Let me repeat, a HONORS Latin class), got told I sucked in drive bys, when i was doing nothing but walking around my town, got told to my face that I wasn't "normal", got ostracized and tormented b/c I didn't fit society's idea of what "normal" should be. That is what causes hate.......disrupting society's idea of what "normal" should be.

I'm a history major and I hold the opposing view. Fear and disgust? Dealt with a lot of that in school. Any time I opened my mouth - I got mocked for my speech and treated as though I was mentally retarded. There would be kids pulling other kids away from me and calling me a loser.

2 experiences I remember very well, no one wanted to sit next to me on the bus and if they had to, they would spray imaginary disinfectant on my seat before sitting next to me as if I had cooties. This is every morning and every afternoon for 6 years.

2nd experience- we were outside on the playground, getting ready to play dodgeball. Teacher asked "who wants Caroline on their team?" The entire class, instead of putting their hands up in the air, bent down and touched the ground.

Maybe I didn't fear for my life but I often wanted to end it.
tears running down my face........Caroline, one of the best things about Alldeaf, is that it has let me know that my horrible mainstream experaince wasn't some unique thing.....and at the exact same time, I wonder with all the horrible experiances that SO many kids have gone through (meaning both oral deaf and hh) if organizations like AG Bad just have their heads up their asses about what a real live experiance for a dhh kid is like in a public school.
It really seems like the oral teachers of the Deaf seem to brush the major major social downsides under the rug...They are SO fucking clueless....and where the fuck does it come from?

I can't believe you would utter such a remark, and then ask for respect around here. The Deaf certainly don't need audists such as yourself appointing yourself to fight for their cause. They have had audists such as yourself keeping them oppressed for centuries. You are the least of what has contributed to their progress.

You are without a doubt the most audist person I have run into lately. And I am offended for Grendel that you would even compare yourself to her. There is no similarity at all. Grendel is very concerned with Deaf rights from the perspective of the deaf, and she is making every attempt to learn about the nuances that make up the oppressive state of audism. She does not present herself as a "savior" to the Deaf, nor does she consider herself superior based on her hearing status. If she sometimes appears to, it is because she is still learning of the very subtle ways that audist beliefs manifest.

You, on the other hand, are what is commonly known as an enemy to the deaf.

How am I audist? That's just as baseless as me calling you a racist.

Damn that's one of the most blatant examples of audism I have seen on this forum.

I was told that a hearing person advocating for a cause that is for the deaf is like a man calling himself a feminist.

Sorry, but men can be feminists. And if we had not had a few, I'm not sure where women would be today.

Capice? Or is that too much English for you?

Mod note:

Let's take a break for a while....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back