The new deaf generation....speaking and listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is failing to see your points. We are simply saying your points are wrong based on a lack of knowlege and critical thinking on your part.

My point is correct and it's echoed often.

There are many rights movements that have similar undertones, but they all stand on their own merits. The larger Deaf rights movement today has separated itself from the Disability Rights movements of a few decades ago.

You must be the one who lacks thinking skill, Jillio, as all you know how to do is call names and say people write 'fiction'. ;) Typical of mental health professionals: we disagree, so we must have the problem.

I'm done with you.

Deaf people don't need a hearing person to take up their "cause."

It's like a man coming to a feminist community and telling women how to do feminism.

There are many rights movements that have similar undertones, but they all stand on their own merits. The larger Deaf rights movement today has separated itself from the Disability Rights movements of a few decades ago.

You must be the one who lacks thinking skill, Jillio, as all you know how to do is call names and say people write 'fiction'. ;) Typical of mental health professionals: we disagree, so we must have the problem.

I'm done with you.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :wave:

I absolutely agree GrendelQ is an exceptional mother and I'm sure if she was my mother, I would have had a far happier childhood.

The thing is this: yes, we can be fluent in our thoughts, in our words, with our hands. But when we speak, and I know I am not speaking for everyone, when we speak, we see where we are not fluent. We see it in people's faces, we see that they noticed even when they are smiling and encouraging. We see it when a hearing person turns to the other and said, "I didn't understand what she said."

We see it when young kids ask, "why you talk funny?"

I appreciate that GrendelQ sees the fluency in us, but like I said before, she's exceptional. She doesn't see us the way most hearing people do.

What Grendel - and myself - are trying to tell you is that fluency is not a matter of hearing people being jerks or not. You ARE fluent and you need to stop letting hearing people get you down. That's bullshit. In a linguistic sense, you're fluent. You have English. We are sharing a language right now. Grendel (and I agree with her) is telling you to rise above other people's ignorant behavior.

I'd rather be deaf than an asshole, that's for sure. You can't 'cure your deafness and there's no need to. Unfortunately, people who look at you and think you're 'dumb' because of speech articulation will probably always be that way. Trust me, God handed you the better deal...:)

It's like a man coming to a feminist community and telling women how to do feminism.

I'm very grateful to the men who voted for the 19th Amendment.

edit: The deaf wouldn't get as far without hearing partners like Grendel and myself. ;) Consider the things that deaf have because of those 'big bad hearing' legislators.

What Grendel - and myself - are trying to tell you is that fluency is not a matter of hearing people being jerks or not. You ARE fluent and you need to stop letting hearing people get you down. That's bullshit. In a linguistic sense, you're fluent. You have English. We are sharing a language right now. Grendel (and I agree with her) is telling you to rise above other people's ignorant behavior.

I'd rather be deaf than an asshole, that's for sure. You can't 'cure your deafness and there's no need to. Unfortunately, people who look at you and think you're 'dumb' because of speech articulation will probably always be that way. Trust me, God handed you the better deal...:)

Why are you discounting what we are trying to tel you? It's the way of audists to discount Deaf.

I'm done with you.[/QUOTE]

Great. I am pleased. I tire easily of a battle of the wits with an unarmed opponent.

edit: The deaf wouldn't get as far without hearing partners like Grendel and myself. ;) Consider the things that deaf have because of those 'big bad hearing' legislators.

Damn that's one of the most blatant examples of audism I have seen on this forum.

I like Grendel. I never noticed her really taking up a cause.

Damn you for making me spit tea all over my computer screen.

Like almost everything we have is because of the NAD, thank you very much.

I can't believe you would utter such a remark, and then ask for respect around here. The Deaf certainly don't need audists such as yourself appointing yourself to fight for their cause. They have had audists such as yourself keeping them oppressed for centuries. You are the least of what has contributed to their progress.

You are without a doubt the most audist person I have run into lately. And I am offended for Grendel that you would even compare yourself to her. There is no similarity at all. Grendel is very concerned with Deaf rights from the perspective of the deaf, and she is making every attempt to learn about the nuances that make up the oppressive state of audism. She does not present herself as a "savior" to the Deaf, nor does she consider herself superior based on her hearing status. If she sometimes appears to, it is because she is still learning of the very subtle ways that audist beliefs manifest.

You, on the other hand, are what is commonly known as an enemy to the deaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back