The new deaf generation....speaking and listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
"acquire language and music naturally" - so she is naturally learning language on her own, no therapy of any kind?

Yes.

Caroline...brace yourself for what I am about to share...

AVT is an approach to teach deaf and hard of hearing individuals to "maximize the use of their hearing abilities." They cover their mouths while they teach them listening skills. They are against using visual cues or communication.

Professionals that use AVT believe that children who do not use sign language develop a more sophisticated use of their hearing and speaking skills. :blah:

No, not against visual cues. This is about training the ear in the effort to help improve listening skill. That's the whole idea of AVT. You don't get your visual cues talking on a phone do you? Or when someone is talking to you without looking? AVT is done with hearing aids and CI.

WHAT?! My stomach just twisted right now. I can't believe this method exists. That sounds so...corporal and 19th century. Do they still use this method nowadays?

very much so

those videos thanks to kokonut were AVT ads

yea i no sad thing is does no what on about

No, not against visual cues. This is about training the ear in the effort to help improve listening skill. That's the whole idea of AVT. You don't get your visual cues talking on a phone do you? Or when someone is talking to you without looking? AVT is done with hearing aids and CI.

and some professionals will encourge the use of blindfolds and mitts

AVT definitely does not help you hear better. That's such an archaic belief. you learn to hear by being taught to associate the sound with an object. Like associating the baa-ing sound with sheep, etc. But covering your mouth to make deaf kids "hear" better? Uhhh....right. If that were true, I should be hearing alot more than I can because my mother covered her mouth for years to get me to try to discern the differences between words like "bee, knee, gee, tree" and even after 10 years, I still could and can only hear "eee".

thats like saying if you plug up the ears of kids who wear glasses, they would see better. I mean....wow.

AVT definitely does not help you hear better. That's such an archaic belief. you learn to hear by being taught to associate the sound with an object. Like associating the baa-ing sound with sheep, etc. But covering your mouth to make deaf kids "hear" better? Uhhh....right. If that were true, I should be hearing alot more than I can because my mother covered her mouth for years to get me to try to discern the differences between words like "bee, knee, gee, tree" and even after 10 years, I still could and can only hear "eee".

thats like saying if you plug up the ears of kids who wear glasses, they would see better. I mean....wow.

It's the CI and hearing aids that help them hear better. What AVT does is help improve the processing of the spoken language so that listening becomes automatic.

How can kokonut see what I wrote if he's on my ignore list?? Nobody quoted my last post. that's freaky.

How can kokonut see what I wrote if he's on my ignore list?? Nobody quoted my last post. that's freaky.

That means you can't see his. If he doesn't have you on his ignore, he can see your posts.

When you're ignoring him, he is not ignoring you. Its how the system works.

I just elect not to even respond to his "hearing" blogs or threads.

If he's on your ignore list, you can't see what he posts, only that he has posted something.

He would have to place you on HIS ignore list to avoid seeing your posts. You can't control what he can see, only what you can see.

WHAT?! My stomach just twisted right now. I can't believe this method exists. That sounds so...corporal and 19th century. Do they still use this method nowadays?
FYI, they also used that "covering their mouths" method in AVT with adults as well. I've had the therapist try that with me. I don't mind cause I do want to try to improve my listening skills.

FYI, they also used that "covering their mouths" method in AVT with adults as well. I've had the therapist try that with me. I don't mind cause I do want to try to improve my listening skills.

I knew you would be.
Shame I cant have ignore list for my family in RL

Caroline...brace yourself for what I am about to share...

AVT is an approach to teach deaf and hard of hearing individuals to "maximize the use of their hearing abilities." They cover their mouths while they teach them listening skills. They are against using visual cues or communication.

Professionals that use AVT believe that children who do not use sign language develop a more sophisticated use of their hearing and speaking skills. :blah:

One person here at AD is a good example of that. He was depressed and felt helpless for weeks since his CI processor got broken. He was not able to read lips or use sign language. They were not raised to adapt to anything. They were not taught how to do things independently without relying completely on the technology.

People can talk and listen thanks to AVT therapy, great, but they are hopelessly helpless without their CI technology, at least they feel that way.

AVT does NOT preclude sign language outside of its practicing sessions.

I hate to say it, but we are kidding ourselves in saying that a person with long-term profound hearing loss can speak as fluently as a hearing person. The differences are subtle but there. Okay, tar and feather me now.

Yep, you are picking up certain phonemes, like the ee's.

I can pick up phonemes like long o's and such, but I can't discern the difference between "hot" and "cow" even though both are long o's.

AVT does NOT preclude sign language outside of its practicing sessions.

What planet are you living on? AVT does as AVTERS believe that manual communication(including lipreading) would stop the brain connections forming for person to listen through audibility only.

Oral deaf education does NOT preclude sign language outside of its practicing sessions.

your statement corrected

here is great pdf
http://www.ncbegin.org/images/stories/downloads/communication-approaches-chart.pdf

Oral deaf education does NOT preclude sign language outside of its practicing sessions.

The brand of oral deaf education I was raised on was very very anti-ASL and deaf community. I asked my mother why she never taught me ASL and she said because I would not try so hard to learn to speak in order to fit into the hearing world if I had ASL and the deaf community.

The premise was in order for a deaf child to speak well, they must be kept apart from ASL and the deaf community. Entirely. Or at least that's how it was back in my day.

The premise was in order for a deaf child to speak well, they must be kept apart from ASL and the deaf community. Entirely. Or at least that's how it was back in my day.

It still is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back