The Making of a Word: Audism ...And More

Cane Corso said:
What will you do if a black person gets mad at you for not taking a black history course? And do not care much about their history?
I will tell you that I took such a course in high school and have some black friends. :P What does this have to do with deafness? Deaf people need to be accomodated for in order to function; most black people don't.

gnulinuxman said:
I will tell you that I took such a course in high school and have some black friends. :P What does this have to do with deafness? Deaf people need to be accomodated for in order to function; most black people don't.

Well I feel like you left out some other important things than just deafness. What about other disabilities?

Cane Corso said:
Well I feel like you left out some other important things than just deafness. What about other disabilities?
You obviously are unaware that I have disabilities myself. While I am hearing, I have autism and ADHD. I have gone through a lot of therapy to treat the problems associated with them and take medicine for them, but I still must live with them. One reason I am drawn to cultures other than mainstream hearing white culture is because other cultures tend to accept me for who I am better. (ESPECIALLY Deaf Culture since I was willing to learn ASL.) In white hearing culture, though, I just enjoy being deviant and don't give a care what mainstreamers think about me.

disabilities

gnulinuxman said:
You obviously are unaware that I have disabilities myself. While I am hearing, I have autism and ADHD. I have gone through a lot of therapy to treat the problems associated with them and take medicine for them, but I still must live with them. One reason I am drawn to cultures other than mainstream hearing white culture is because other cultures tend to accept me for who I am better. (ESPECIALLY Deaf Culture since I was willing to learn ASL.) In white hearing culture, though, I just enjoy being deviant and don't give a care what mainstreamers think about me.

I have ADHD and Autism too, but then again I have other disabilites like CP and some medical ones like RADS and seizure problems. I have never been treated for my ADHD and Autism, because my mom refused to understand I have them, I was abused all my life and I am trying hard to do theraphy. I love the deaf culture because I was abused far enough that my mom made me deaf(meaning she boxed my ears with a wooden paddle and the paddle is still around) I am on medication for my RADS, and Seizure problems, but my CP is mild. I have read around that there is surgery for CP, but I don't wish to have the surgery at all.

Deaflinuxgeek

Deaf Images said:
English and ASL are separate languages so the meanings vary...thanks :deaf:
Thank you DI. Where can I find an ASL dictionary that includes word definitions?

Mookie said:
Hey Rockdrummer,How come you are not at Gally? You need to collect information from Better President Now Protest. You need to learn more about audism. I noticed that you have not discussed much since Gally protest...
I am not at gally because I have a job and live in Illinois. I don't quite understand your second statement. I am learning about audism quite well here thank you. My posting or lack thereof and the Gally protest have nothing to do with eachother.

Deaf Images said:
English and ASL are separate languages so the meanings vary...thanks :deaf:
In the case of the word ignorant, they don't vary... I did some research and found several ASL dictionaries and found the meaning is the same in this case. But I thank you for pointing that out because I was not aware that ASL and English words that are the same may carry different definitions. I have not come across this yet but I am quite sure what you are saying is correct. Thank you

rockdrummer said:
Thank you DI. Where can I find an ASL dictionary that includes word definitions?

oops, never mind...

Originally Posted by Mookie
Hey Rockdrummer,How come you are not at Gally? You need to collect information from Better President Now Protest. You need to learn more about audism. I noticed that you have not discussed much since Gally protest...

rockdrummer said:
I am not at gally because I have a job and live in Illinois. I don't quite understand your second statement. I am learning about audism quite well here thank you. My posting or lack thereof and the Gally protest have nothing to do with eachother.

Gally BPN Pix

You need to get your butts out of Illinois and drive to Gally campus and meet.

Did you know that Oliver Sacks went Gallaudet (College) University during the DPN period in 1988 and have met lots of deafies even though he did not know any sign language at that time.

I hope you recieves my good answer?

Mookie said:
Gally BPN Pix

You need to get your butts out of Illinois and drive to Gally campus and meet.

Did you know that Oliver Sacks went Gallaudet (College) University during the DPN period in 1988 and have met lots of deafies even though he did not know any sign language at that time.

I hope you recieves my good answer?
Got it Mookie, thanks for the clearification. I can't get out of here cause then who will pay my bills and take care of my family. Plus I am a hearing individual and I know that there are deaf Audist's out there that would not take to kindly to me.

rockdrummer said:
Got it Mookie, thanks for the clearification. I can't get out of here cause then who will pay my bills and take care of my family. Plus I am a hearing individual and I know that there are deaf Audist's out there that would not take to kindly to me.

Oliver Sacks surviced at DPN since he is a hearie. What makes you think that Deaf Audists would hurt you?

Mookie said:
Oliver Sacks surviced at DPN since he is a hearie. What makes you think that Deaf Audists would hurt you?

Isn't that what they always do? is try to hurt them?...

^Angel^ said:
Isn't that what they always do? is try to hurt them?...

I think you misunderstood. How do you know if they would hurt you as an oralist? Don't you know that there are some deaf oralists as the Gally students?

Mookie said:
I think you misunderstood. How do you know if they would hurt you as an oralist? Don't you know that there are some deaf oralists as the Gally students?

I haven't been to Gally, so I dunno, I'm just asking :dunno:

^Angel^ said:
I haven't been to Gally, so I dunno, I'm just asking :dunno:

One of the days, you will visit there. Did you know that Gally accepts hearing students who must be fluent in ASL? Who knows if your kids may be interested in any major at Gally....

Mookie said:
One of the days, you will visit there. Did you know that Gally accepts hearing students who must be fluent in ASL? Who knows if your kids may be interested in any major at Gally....

We'll see won't we?...

Mookie said:
I said they would not take to kindly to me. I didn't say I was afraid they would hurt me. If anyone lays a hand on me they are subject to a pounding or they will become the new head salad tosser at their local jail. If you want an explanation of a "salad tosser" just let me know.

One thing that I am starting to notice is there ARE DEAF AUDIST's out there. I was told earlier on in this thread that the word was not used like that in the deaf community. Then I asked (I believe it was DI) what word would be used to describe a deafie that treats other deafies or hearies the way an audist treats deafies. I never go an answer. So perhaps the word audist and it's definition are approrpriate here. The deafies that shun other deafies for being oral, or getting CI or shun hearing people are audists by definition. I make that statement knowing Tom's intent and definition and without anyone else comming up with a word for it.

rockdrummer said:
I said they would not take to kindly to me. I didn't say I was afraid they would hurt me. If anyone lays a hand on me they are subject to a pounding or they will become the new head salad tosser at their local jail. If you want an explanation of a "salad tosser" just let me know.

One thing that I am starting to notice is there ARE DEAF AUDIST's out there. I was told earlier on in this thread that the word was not used like that in the deaf community. Then I asked (I believe it was DI) what word would be used to describe a deafie that treats other deafies or hearies the way an audist treats deafies. I never go an answer. So perhaps the word audist and it's definition are approrpriate here. The deafies that shun other deafies for being oral, or getting CI or shun hearing people are audists by definition. I make that statement knowing Tom's intent and definition and without anyone else comming up with a word for it.

Ha..ha..oh pleaz...

What makes you think of that salad tosser would command his elite Deaf group to kick your rears?

Come on, I am the white deaf dude from the Great Plains who resided in the full black neighborhood for 8 years. There was no salad tosser of the black elite gang would kick me out in Northeast/Southeast of Washignton DC.

Nice try...

BTW, why dont you ask Oliver Sacks about his experience with DPN? You may ask him if he may have attacked by the Salad Tosser.
mail@oliversacks.com

Mookie said:
Ha..ha..oh pleaz...What makes you think of that salad tosser would command his elite Deaf group to kick your rears? Come on, I am the white deaf dude from the Great Plains who resided in the full black neighborhood for 8 years. There was no salad tosser of the black elite gang would kick me out in Northeast/Southeast of Washignton DC.Nice try...BTW, why dont you ask Oliver Sacks about his experience with DPN? You may ask him if he may have attacked by the Salad Tosser.
mail@oliversacks.com
Ok. Now it's clear you don't understand my meaning of salad tosser. I will send you a pm with an explanation because it's not appropriate for this thread.

Back