The Making of a Word: Audism ...And More

rockdrummer said:
I am sorry but I do have to explain the definition to anyone (deaf or hearing) that is using words out of context. You must agree that using words out of context adds no value to a conversation but clouds and confuses the issue. It's not a hearing to deaf thing. It's something I do regardless of who uses words out of context. Including my boss.

Have you learnt "258" yet?

Mookie said:
Is that audism attidule that you are giving me?
I don't think so and if it is, I don't do it intentionally, Please to explain how my referring you to the begining of this post displays an audist attitude on my part. If you think that because I am hearing, I have no right to discuss audism and it's definition, then you sir, are displying an audist attitude towards me.

Mookie said:
I do not have much time to instruct you too much. I strongly suggest you to enroll the college and take a deaf culture with deaf professor. Your jaw will drops when you learn so much...

Rockdrummer have every right to create any thread he wishes to create, He doesn't have to be an expert on the Deaf Culture to discuss about audism. I'm getting annoyed by your mocking at everyone here.

Cheri said:
Rockdrummer have every right to create any thread he wishes to create, He doesn't have to be an expert on the Deaf Culture to discuss about audism. I'm getting annoyed by your mocking at everyone here.

Cheri,

May I friendly remind you that this is a public forum... :whistle:

Naturally, Rockdrummer still has to learn long way. I bet he have not met any deafie with hir formal educational background yet. I just want to ensure that he stay on the right journey while he collects the right data then he will carefully select the right information from the data junks.

I am busy right now that I am studying for the midterm exam.

I am sure that he may have learnt too much from the bambos...

Mookie said:
Cheri,

May I friendly remind you that this is a public forum... :whistle: ...

Can I friendly remind you that respect is the key here at AD. Learn to use it. Watch your behind, You wouldn't want to end up in Mexico. :thumb:

Cheri said:
Can I friendly remind you that respect is the key here at AD. Learn to use it. Watch your behind, You wouldn't want to end up in Mexico. :thumb:

:wtf: are you talking about Mexico? Maybe you missed the bus heading to Cleveland for the Boycott for Immigrants. Oh, that is right...(dont want to hurt your feeling).....

Mookie said:
Cheri,May I friendly remind you that this is a public forum... :whistle: Naturally, Rockdrummer still has to learn long way. I bet he have not met any deafie with hir formal educational background yet. I just want to ensure that he stay on the right journey while he collects the right data then he will carefully select the right information from the data junks. I am busy right now that I am studying for the midterm exam. I am sure that he may have learnt too much from the bambos...
I appreciate that Mookie but you gotta give me some credit. I am smart enough to weed out the bamboos and the data junk. And I am also smart enough (now) to identify an aduist when I encounter one. And they are hearing and HOH and deaf and everything inbetween.

Some of my students said that...

rockdrummer said:
Here is yet another word that gets used out of context constantly. It is not possible to KNOW and be IGNORANT. Ignorance means you don't know. People that know better and are still audists would not be called ignorant. That is giving them way to much credit.

Some hearing people admitted that... I was "quoting" some of my ASL class students... for the last 30 years - almost same answer every time..

They heard about deaf, but do not bother to look up or do something about it... They just ignore it and move on... they didnt take time to look at it in depth.

:dunno:

Hey Rockdrummer,

How come you are not at Gally? You need to collect information from Better President Now Protest. You need to learn more about audism. I noticed that you have not discussed much since Gally protest...

Deaf Images said:
Oh come on! Like I said the Deaf feared him in late 19th century and the early 20th century! He was the most despised person in the Deaf community for his paternalistic and audist attitude.

When I found out about him, my first report was that he was a hitler born before the real hitler was born.... he wanted to erase deaf from the human race. He sounded like GOD... he wanted to wipe us off the face of Earth....
He sounded like a terrorist!

:dunno:
Sorry, oral deafies here, I agree with DI here. Bell isn't a hero at all. There were deaf people who could speak before Bell, too, so he didn't pioneer that. Erasing deaf people from the human race is impossible, since there are so many possible causes of deafness. I don't even think that deafness is something to be hated. It is the most interesting of all conditions (to me at least).

Also, DUT is an interesting choice of terminology. What do you call a hearing person who fully accepts Deaf Culture and is fluent in ASL? :dunno: Whatever it is, I try to be one. ;) I'm anti-audists and will NEVER force deaf people to become "hearing".

I am a hearing person, but I despise oralism, too. Speech should be a choice. I actually agree with your points here. Bell did use his money and fame to try to erase deaf people and force them to speak. Speech should never be forced on deaf people. Hearing people should be required to learn to sign, I think... (I do.) English literacy is more important for deaf people, not speech.

agreement

gnulinuxman said:
Sorry, oral deafies here, I agree with DI here. Bell isn't a hero at all. There were deaf people who could speak before Bell, too, so he didn't pioneer that. Erasing deaf people from the human race is impossible, since there are so many possible causes of deafness. I don't even think that deafness is something to be hated. It is the most interesting of all conditions (to me at least).

Also, DUT is an interesting choice of terminology. What do you call a hearing person who fully accepts Deaf Culture and is fluent in ASL? :dunno: Whatever it is, I try to be one. ;) I'm anti-audists and will NEVER force deaf people to become "hearing".

I am a hearing person, but I despise oralism, too. Speech should be a choice. I actually agree with your points here. Bell did use his money and fame to try to erase deaf people and force them to speak. Speech should never be forced on deaf people. Hearing people should be required to learn to sign, I think... (I do.) English literacy is more important for deaf people, not speech.

I definately agree Bell was a terrorist to all deaf people and I am so sick of reading how great he was with deaf people..... oh please, he didn't even help helen keller much less the deaf community. A.G. Bell is no good the only thing I find good about that man is some of his qoutes but not all of them.

Deaflinuxgeek

Deaf Images said:
Hey - you do not have to make excuses for hearing people... they knew and still are ignorant. They make more excuses... I have seen it all the last 50 years.

:ugh2:
I don't make excuses. I get mad at hearing people who ignore and/or are unwilling to learn about deaf people. There's no excuse for that.

gnulinuxman said:
I don't make excuses. I get mad at hearing people who ignore and/or are unwilling to learn about deaf people. There's no excuse for that.

What will you do if a black person gets mad at you for not taking a black history course? And do not care much about their history?

Back