The Lounge thread: Whatever you feel like......... Anything goes! Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
jillio - Do you know many languages? Hope it's ok to ask you. You seem to know a lot about language

Giulia I see you are learning Modern Hebrew. How are you doing with that? I have a friend at Church who was learning Hebrew and Greek but found the Hebrew much more complicated
Hebrew is really more different on the language structure than Greek. In Greek, you have the vocabulary which you can link because of the etymology, for example, once I didn't remember "fyta" for plants, but with "phytosanitary products", we can find "fyto, fyta", which means plant, plants in Greek.
In Hebrew, if you don't remember a word, you can't link it to French or English.
Moreover, grammar has no link with an European language.

I hope you understood my soup ;)

jillio - Do you know many languages? Hope it's ok to ask you. You seem to know a lot about language

I wish I was more proficient. My fluency is English and ASL, but I do know some French, some German, and some Yiddish. Along with some long forgotten Latin. But I have studied linguistics extensively.

Beating around the bush is often said as 'Stop Beating around the bush' which would mean to get straight to the point and stop putting it off

Oh ok, in French we would say "tourner autour du pot", "turning around the pot" !!

I wish I was more proficient. My fluency is English and ASL, but I do know some French, some German, and some Yiddish. Along with some long forgotten Latin. But I have studied linguistics extensively.
Even a little is better than nothing

Hebrew is really more different on the language structure than Greek. In Greek, you have the vocabulary which you can link because of the etymology, for example, once I didn't remember "fyta" for plants, but with "phytosanitary products", we can find "fyto, fyta", which means plant, plants in Greek.
In Hebrew, if you don't remember a word, you can't link it to French or English.
Moreover, grammar has no link with an European language.

I hope you understood my soup ;)

Oh wow! Yeah it does sound quite more difficult then Greek. Thank you for explaining it to me! Good luck on your learning! I hope you can pick it up quickly.

Thank you for answering! Can I ask a question or two about signing and speaking English?

I speak patchy Norwegian, Scots Gaelic, and know a bit more Japanese. I can carry on a polite greeting conversation, ask for a bathroom, ask and answer how my day was and talk about some school things. I'm learning to write Japanese thanks to my friend Miho in Tokyo

How interesting! Language is so culturally based.
Yep, and tease my curiosity to translate this expression into Italian and Greek (my level of Hebrew is not enough strong to learn expressions yet)

Oh wow! Yeah it does sound quite more difficult then Greek. Thank you for explaining it to me! Good luck on your learning! I hope you can pick it up quickly.

Thank you for answering! Can I ask a question or two about signing and speaking English?

I speak patchy Norwegian, Scots Gaelic, and know a bit more Japanese. I can carry on a polite greeting conversation, ask for a bathroom, ask and answer how my day was and talk about some school things. I'm learning to write Japanese thanks to my friend Miho in Tokyo

Sure, ask away.

Thanks :) But I have a looooooooooooooooong way before being fluent ;)

Comments like this seem really mean spirited to me. I enjoy most of your posts but always feel bad when you attack someone.

Bott really isn't a mean spirited person. She is simply direct and sometimes misunderstood as a result.

Well I'm just just now learning ASL, but I'm pretty sure I read that there is no sign for 'is' and such. So if you are speaking and signing at the same time. Would you go ahead and say is. And when you do does it mess up your signing?

Hope that doesn't sound stupid *blush*

Don't go, Bott! I'll miss you! :cry:

Thanks, Jillio. I noticed after losing my temper that my main irritant is banned again.

Trying to stay for a little while here and be positive!!:lol:

Thanks :) But I have a looooooooooooooooong way before being fluent ;)

Are you learning to write it too? Or just speak? I love looking at Hebrew letters. There are some on some Tombstones in a cemetery here and it's just so nice looking

Bott really isn't a mean spirited person. She is simply direct and sometimes misunderstood as a result.

Thanks Jillio. I think I am often well understood.

I told you before my stepmother really has PTSD for standing up for me for years. :lol:

Family loyalty means a lot to me.

Every family has problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back