The Death Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that would believe in death penalty since most inmates are killed by lethal injection, and too easier for inmates to get killed. It seems alot better than stuck up in ADX.

Lethal injections is almost same as death of anesthesia.
I totally DESPISE the death penalty. Now this country was founded upon Christianity, and one of the Ten Commandments was "Thou shalt not kill.". Now that is a very broad saying so it also INCLUDES people who commit crimes. Now, I'm not christian but this point has to be brought up. The government has banned gay marriage. Where are they going to draw the line? If they want to take away gay marriage rights from us then they should also take away the death penalty, cause killing one other person is against God's law.

Death isn't much of a punishment. You die; it's over.

Another Book

I would suggest the book, "The Innocent Man" by John Grisham. This book is his first nonfiction.

Did you know....

Did you know that David Kaczynski is the executive director of New Yorkers Against the Death Penalty (nyadp)?

Did you know that David Kacznski's brother is Ted Kacznki (aka the Unabomber)?

some states are already overcrowd in prison. :roll: they have to pardon some who deserve to be free in good/wrong reason.

Actually, it costs the state more to execute a prisoner than it does to keep them in prison for life.

Yes it is true and strange!

I still don't support death penalty.

I don't support death penalty. Bec, there are some been executed the wrong man. There are some true stories in varies incident. Alot are relating DA, detectives who themselves are murderers but taking the wrong man to trial and convince the jury what has happen so call "evidence" to lead jury as fall prey by DA. In has been a growing problem. And also, many thought justice meant put a person to prison the crime he commit, it isnt true. Justice mean a "actual" criminal been sent to prison. There are alot of unfair trials and injustice going on in many cases. People of the law is as bad as criminal. Bec there are alot of people of the law doing it out of greed and politically.

I don't support death penalty. Bec, there are some been executed the wrong man. There are some true stories in varies incident. Alot are relating DA, detectives who themselves are murderers but taking the wrong man to trial and convince the jury what has happen so call "evidence" to lead jury as fall prey by DA. In has been a growing problem. And also, many thought justice meant put a person to prison the crime he commit, it isnt true. Justice mean a "actual" criminal been sent to prison. There are alot of unfair trials and injustice going on in many cases. People of the law is as bad as criminal. Bec there are alot of people of the law doing it out of greed and politically.

With you all the way. :)

I think painless death penalty is way too easy for most criminals! I just wish that most of death penalty to include painful as a final lesson. Anyway, I was in favor of death penalty until I learn about Admax "The alcatraz on the rockies" or "The tomb" as refer to most attorneys. I find that Admax seems to do better job in punishing these crooks! What is Admax? It is much like a hole that you have to live in there for rest of your life with NOBODY to interact, nobody to talk with, just 99.99% soliditary confidenment, Whats even worse, you have no friggin idea exact where you are, and that lights remains on 24 hours each day, no break and you got to eat in the hole, sleep on concrete bed and have a camera watching you all the time. Since 1992, almost all inmates who entered there ended up got their mind messed up big time after just 3 months! What I like about Admax is that the crimainals HAVE to sit and wait for their natural death to come up. That really messed up their mind! And they deserve that! Escape? Almost impossible! There is too many barriers there with technologies and silent attack dogs (Dogs were trained not to make any sounds UNTIL in front of a person! like in surprise) And there is only way to gain access there is by only one tunnel. Depending on the nature of crime, those who classified the top rank worst crime is NOT allowed to have any visitors of any kind except only attorney who represent the criminals is allowed.

If you are going to inflict pain, what is the purpose? It is to punish. And punsihment serve but one purpose--to change behavior. If you are inflicting the death penalty, obviously you aren't concerned about changing behavior, because a dead person can't change behavior. So the only reason for inflicting pain at this point is vindictiveness. Isn't loss of life enough? Must we be so cruel as to insist that pain be inflicted, as well. I thought we had advanced since the age of barbarians.

Hmmmm, wasn't abject, blood-curdling pain and fear the last thing the victim knew? Just asking....I waffle back and forth on this issue...

Every posting up to this point has been valid. I agree and disagree with the death penalty. When it comes to TX executing mentally retarded people, then I am against it. When serial rapists or murderers are caught and convicted WITH DNA evidence, I support it. As for child molesters (and in some cases, rapists), I think they should have a One Strike and You're Out rule. You're convicted of a serious sex crime, you're castrated. We can be creative in punishment. It can't always be "Hmmm, cable for life or a nice sleepy death?"

Hmmmm, wasn't abject, blood-curdling pain and fear the last thing the victim knew? Just asking....I waffle back and forth on this issue...

I suppose that would depend on the circumstances of the crime. But as the purveyors of justice, don't we also hold ourselves to higher moral standards than the criminal? One cannot mete out justice otherwise, can one?

Every posting up to this point has been valid. I agree and disagree with the death penalty. When it comes to TX executing mentally retarded people, then I am against it. When serial rapists or murderers are caught and convicted WITH DNA evidence, I support it. As for child molesters (and in some cases, rapists), I think they should have a One Strike and You're Out rule. You're convicted of a serious sex crime, you're castrated. We can be creative in punishment. It can't always be "Hmmm, cable for life or a nice sleepy death?"

Castration does not prevent recidivism of sex crimes. Rape is about violence, not sex. If one cannot rape with genitals, they will find another weapon to rape with.

Castration does not prevent recidivism of sex crimes. Rape is about violence, not sex. If one cannot rape with genitals, they will find another weapon to rape with.

I know that, but don't you think that maybe, just MAYBE, some kind of radical punishment may stop the crime, even if it isn't the focus, just the "tool." How many men would be willing to lose their parts (also, think about college parties, just some guy wanting to "score") if they went ahead with the crime?

I know that, but don't you think that maybe, just MAYBE, some kind of radical punishment may stop the crime, even if it isn't the focus, just the "tool." How many men would be willing to lose their parts (also, think about college parties, just some guy wanting to "score") if they went ahead with the crime?

I will have to concede that it is a possibility in deterrrence, but I doubt seriously that you will see a reduction until we see a fundamental change in the social situation that creates the criminal element. And, if we start castrating for sex crimes, where do we draw the line? Do we also cut off the hands of thieves? Once this type of punishment is accepted as justifiable, we become desensitized to the horror, and it makes it easier to justify other uses. Our entire prison system set up to dehumanize prisoners; how far can we, as a civilized society, take that dehumanization and not reduce ourselves to the same mindset of the criminal we are attempting to punish?

I support the death penalty.

I don't. However, in the case of Saddamn Hussein, his court case went way too long. He shouldn't have received ten seconds worth of defense. I would have gone along with lethal injection for him, but not the way in which you would think.

Reba, I believe you had mentioned that you were in the military . . . what would happen if SH was injected with air in his blood stream instead of the lethal injection? Another thought . . . what about slowly draining his blood daily, say, a syringe's worth of blood on a daily basis? I would go along with this.

I don't. However, in the case of Saddamn Hussein, his court case went way too long. He shouldn't have received ten seconds worth of defense. I would have gone along with lethal injection for him, but not the way in which you would think.

Reba, I believe you had mentioned that you were in the military . . . what would happen if SH was injected with air in his blood stream instead of the lethal injection? Another thought . . . what about slowly draining his blood daily, say, a syringe's worth of blood on a daily basis? I would go along with this.
SH was hanged in accordance with the laws of his country.

For carrying out the death penalty in the USA, the methods used are not allowed to be "cruel and unusual" so I don't think your suggestion will fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back