THAT makes a sound!??!?

Can someone explain why scratching a blackboard drives hearing people nuts?

:laugh2: my psychology teacher was telling a story about this the other day!

there was a french teacher that used to teach at our school, and whenever she wanted to get the students to be quiet and attentive to her, she would put her nails on the blackboard and start scratching it, making a loud high-pitched noise until they stop talking.

Apparently tearing a piece of paper is very loud. That does not make sense to me.

Oh yea, it does! I can hear that and I hate it! Also squishing paper together to make a ball is loud too!

I have been constantly reprimanded sooo many times for making so many different noises, I know so much about sounds. lol

When I got my new super-powered HAs I was surprised to hear the scraping noise of litter being blown along a pavement ("sidewalk" for my US friends)

I am nowhere near that figure! I make less than $20,000. :( I'm yearning to get to my apartment so that I can start applying for financial aid to go to Uni.

I will also have to wait until I get moved into my apartment before I can apply for the CapTel services as I am sure all of the connections will have to be in my name.

My mom was talking about a fan in the house being off-balance. I asked her, how do you know the fan is 'off-balance'? She said it will make a ka-chunk, ka-chunk, ka-chunk noise. Apparently it's not a loud noise; just an annoying one for my mom. I didn't know off-balance ceiling fans made noise. I would notice it being off-balance if it had an odd small sway or wiggle to it and I would tap it slightly one way or the other to make it stop.

I also didn't know that light bulbs burning out made a noise. I was in the bathroom upstairs and the light bulb in the overhead light went out. Dad then came in there and asked what that 'pop' was. I asked him "What pop?" I didn't drop anything or break anything. Mom then said it was probably from the light bulb that burned out.

I've never heard the rain... I had someone try and explain to me what rain sounds like... but I still don't understand. I think... i might be wrong... but I think life will go on for me... :giggle:

i think if i were to try to explain the sound of rain i would say it sounds like the way someone tapping their fingers rapidly on your skin feels. idk just was thinking about that as its raining here now

I am nowhere near that figure! I make less than $20,000. :( I'm yearning to get to my apartment so that I can start applying for financial aid to go to Uni.
Good! :)

I will also have to wait until I get moved into my apartment before I can apply for the CapTel services as I am sure all of the connections will have to be in my name.
I didn't see any requirement like that on the application form.

http://www.arsinfo.net/userfiles/2011 TAP Application.pdf

i think if i were to try to explain the sound of rain i would say it sounds like the way someone tapping their fingers rapidly on your skin feels. idk just was thinking about that as its raining here now

sound of rain makes me :zzz:

I've also heard that off balance fan sound. It was so annoying at the beginning, but I've learned to tune it out.

Things that I am surprised makes a sound:
- My hands rubbing up against my car wheel. When I turn, then sort of let the wheel go back to its neutral position while my hand is slightly touching it, that's when I hear the friction. Also my hands rubbing together. After getting my CI, I often rubbed my hands to my delight!
- Computer Fans (more like how loud they are).
- Wind against tall grass.
- Microwave beeps. Never realized it beeped multiple times.
- Someone brushing their hair. I'm surprised that I can hear it from another room.
- Cat licking themselves. Sometimes I have to push them off the couch because their licking annoys me!
- Mouse clicking. I realized that maybe the person who just came into your office knows that you JUST clicked on the mouse (perhaps to change windows? Perhaps to hide the fact that you're on AD?). Careful yall! :)

I've also heard that off balance fan sound. It was so annoying at the beginning, but I've learned to tune it out.

- My hands rubbing up against my car wheel. When I turn, then sort of let the wheel go back to its neutral position while my hand is slightly touching it, that's when I hear the friction. Also my hands rubbing together. After getting my CI, I often rubbed my hands to my delight!
- Someone brushing their hair. I'm surprised that I can hear it from another room.
- Cat licking themselves. Sometimes I have to push them off the couch because their licking annoys me!
- Mouse clicking. I realized that maybe the person who just came into your office knows that you JUST clicked on the mouse (perhaps to change windows? Perhaps to hide the fact that you're on AD?). Careful yall! :)

that is good to know... never realized that a mouse clicking makes noise... i know the keyboard makes noise (because IP relay will type (typing) ) but i didn't know that the mouse makes noise too...

that is good to know... never realized that a mouse clicking makes noise... i know the keyboard makes noise (because IP relay will type (typing) ) but i didn't know that the mouse makes noise too...

it does, but i wouldn't call it annoying.

I noticed that some mouses are louder than others. I don't think you can hear a Mac mouse click, but some of those PC mouses are just practically screaming "CLICK! THAT'S RIGHT I JUST CLICKED TO SWITCH WINDOWS! OWNER WAS DOING SOMETHING NAUGHTY!!!"

I noticed that some mouses are louder than others. I don't think you can hear a Mac mouse click, but some of those PC mouses are just practically screaming "CLICK! THAT'S RIGHT I JUST CLICKED TO SWITCH WINDOWS! OWNER WAS DOING SOMETHING NAUGHTY!!!"

alt + tab much faster.

:shock: You can hear someone brushing her hair and wind in the grass? WOW. Superman hearing. lol

A co-worker told me that she can tell who is walking in the hallway without looking based on the way the person walks. I was like, no way! So we did a test...she'll close her eyes and predict who would pass her door. She was right every time! Wow!

Apparently I flop my flip-flop shoes loudly. No wonder she always knew how to grab me when I got closer to her room to ask me a question or something. LOL

I've never heard the rain... I had someone try and explain to me what rain sounds like... but I still don't understand. I think... i might be wrong... but I think life will go on for me... :giggle:

If you are in the bathtub, turn on the tap so that just a little stream come out of spout. Put your fingers in the water, underneath stream, and you will *feel* the sound that rain makes. It's like a tickle, or a soft kiss, but with water. Heavy rain sound like fast water coming out of spout. Splash, splash.

My mom was talking about a fan in the house being off-balance. I asked her, how do you know the fan is 'off-balance'? She said it will make a ka-chunk, ka-chunk, ka-chunk noise. Apparently it's not a loud noise; just an annoying one for my mom. I didn't know off-balance ceiling fans made noise. I would notice it being off-balance if it had an odd small sway or wiggle to it and I would tap it slightly one way or the other to make it stop.

I also didn't know that light bulbs burning out made a noise. I was in the bathroom upstairs and the light bulb in the overhead light went out. Dad then came in there and asked what that 'pop' was. I asked him "What pop?" I didn't drop anything or break anything. Mom then said it was probably from the light bulb that burned out.

And hearies think we deafies should all hear? :hmm: Why?

Back