Terps

Status
Not open for further replies.
namesignsfc.gif

I found the book on my library website; I requested it.

Thanks Reba - I was looking for it ( I have it ) but it was under a pile of textbooks ....

I actually use it to assign ( and keep track of ) the arbitrary name signs we assign (temporarily, for in class use only) for all my theologians and authors who aren't given one. Martin Luther is one of the few who has a NS

Thanks Reba - I was looking for it ( I have it ) but it was under a pile of textbooks ....

I actually use it to assign ( and keep track of ) the arbitrary name signs we assign (temporarily, for in class use only) for all my theologians and authors who aren't given one. Martin Luther is one of the few who has a NS
That book does come in handy. :)

Thanks to Hubby's construction skills, I have enough shelving to keep my books organized now. :lol:

Thanks to Hubby's construction skills, I have enough shelving to keep my books organized now. :lol:

Yep ! I stick mini post-it notes by the ANS ;)
There's never enough room for books ... I have a wall of books ... and it's just not enough space even then ...

I need to borrow your husband....my books are EVERYWHERE!:giggle: My study looks like a tornado hit it most of the time! I tell everyone it is organized disorganization.

Sorry....back on topic now!

A name sign is an amazing gift from someone in the Deaf Community, atleast it was for me... There is a story behind it, which makes it more personal... I never use it, I always fingerspell my name, its 5 letters and easy to spell :) Its nice to have though...

I learn about 420 sign words per month. That's 14 or 15 sign words a day, everyday. :)

Not too shabby.

I learn about 420 sign words per month. That's 14 or 15 sign words a day, everyday. :)

Not too shabby.
What is your definition of "learn" here? Could you have a conversation using these words? Could you remember these words on a test? Do you remember what the 27th word you learned was? Honestly I'm not sure that you're "learning" anything if all you are learning is words. Just because I know the words desayuno, gato, trabajo, tener, parque, calle, marque, playa, meses, etc. does not mean I have "learned" Spanish...I can't recognize those words in context, I can't use them in sentences, I can't have a conversation with a Spanish speaker, I can't use them colloquially. You have taught yourself more ASL signs than I have taught myself Spanish words, but the result is the same: can you really talk to anybody with what you know? Memorizing words is not nearly as useful as learning a language. In fact, if you don't know how to use the words, what good are they?

I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm just trying to point out that you really need to take a class and interact with deaf people before you will have "learned" anything that will help you with becoming an interpreter. I know your class got canceled, but you should look for other places that might offer classes, like a local parks-and-rec center, a local community center, etc.

YUP !!!
I'd much rather know, learn , live, breathe and be able to fully use only 500 signs, than hypothetically have"learned" 2000 out of a book without understanding how they are integrated into the language !

(I know about 100 Greek and Latin words which I can 'insert' into English sentences in the correct way - meaning I can use the greek diaconos etc, in fact I can even identify words randomly in latin and greek and hebrew texts ... but I'm certainly not even slightly fluent in Greek, latin or Hebrew - there's a pile of difference)

I have been waiting for someone to ask this!

You have "learned" signs, but do you know ASL?

I have been waiting for someone to ask this!

You have "learned" signs, but do you know ASL?

Wellllllllllll.............that's like saying that you read a book about making pottery and now you know how to do it!

In all fairness I could only find ONE Deaf gathering so far; and it's on the 28th. I can't bring that date closer to now, nor can I find more gatherings in this city.

The ONLY way to "learn" ASL is via the Deaf culture. But what am I going to do in the meanwhile? I only have books and videos to teach me. Nothing else. I am not going to sit on my hands and do nothing. I will gain some benefit from my current study on sign vocabulary. It may not be the best way to learn ASL but it is all I have now.

I don"t know where the deaf people gather around here. If I did I would join their party and start learning about ASL. Don't you all think I would jump at the chance?? My hands are tied so I must learn via books until I can finally join in a gatering. Be fair with me please.

Familiarity (overview) = memory (association) = learning (knowledge) = application (wisdom) = command (mastery).

Equally or are you memorizing more than learning?

When you truly remember something you automatically learn it, or begin to learn it- engrave it into your mind.

But that is only the start.

Once you have gained that knowledge, you start applying it (Deaf gathering participation); and in time (more association/involvement) you begin to take command of the subject.

AB, which colleges are within commuting distance to you?

Which public school district do you live in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back