Terps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I joined them early on in my training so I could get on the mailing lists for local activities, and to get their newsletters. A person doesn't even need to know how to sign in order to join the organizations. If AB joined a local affiliate he might be able to get a local contact for Deaf fellowships.

Really Reba. So where do I go to join?

Si, I would guess, that the Florida registry would be the ideal one for me. Correct?

Transliteration is a direct translation between two languages (eg. spoken English and English-based sign language)

This is a simple question and I know (maybe) the answer. But just to be certain I'll ask it anyway: Terps sign spoken English to ASL and vice versa? :ugh3:

Your statement is a very rudimentary explanation. The process of interpreting is much more complex.

The goal of the interpreter is to make the communication experience as complete as possible for both hearing and deaf or hard of hearing participants. To accomplish this, interpreters must relay as accurately as possible the meaning of the messages being presented, including the nuances of feelings and attitudes conveyed by the participants, whether those messages are in spoken English or ASL or other types of signed communication. Thus, interpreters must be fluent in both English and ASL. In addition, interpreters must be able to modify their language use to fit the needs of the participants involved in an interpreted situation.

And even that isn't an explanation of the whole process! There are entire courses in ITP's that talk about how interpreting works. As in, how the brain does the work. It's really very exhausting work...if I interpret for a two-hour presentation solo, I feel like I'm very drunk. Totally useless, unable to think straight at all. There is a LOT involved with interpreting. It's cultural mediation, it's storytelling, it's tech-talk, it's being transparent...it's really complicated.

AB, I strongly recommend the "So You Want to Be an Interpreter" book to get more of an idea about the profession you want to go into. You said you have "Interpreting: An Introduction" and that's a good one, but "So You Wanna" (as it's often called) is even better.

And even that isn't an explanation of the whole process! There are entire courses in ITP's that talk about how interpreting works. As in, how the brain does the work. It's really very exhausting work...if I interpret for a two-hour presentation solo, I feel like I'm very drunk. Totally useless, unable to think straight at all. There is a LOT involved with interpreting. It's cultural mediation, it's storytelling, it's tech-talk, it's being transparent...it's really complicated.

AB, I strongly recommend the "So You Want to Be an Interpreter" book to get more of an idea about the profession you want to go into. You said you have "Interpreting: An Introduction" and that's a good one, but "So You Wanna" (as it's often called) is even better.

The two interpreters that I have for class trade off every 20-30mins, sometimes I request something (a concept) be in strong ASL , other times I prefer "english-y ASL", it's certainly NOT SEE/II (ICK) ... it's almost what we used to call PSE -it more closely follows english word order, but retains many aspects of ASL ... for me, because I have usable residual hearing, but tend to understand concepts given in ASL -this system tends to work best for me. I also request that my interprets mouth many of the phrases and technical terms - they do a LOT of work !! I adore the interpreters that work with me and my class!!!

transliterating is one of the aspects of interpreting i dont care for. its so cumbersome.

The two interpreters that I have for class trade off every 20-30mins, sometimes I request something (a concept) be in strong ASL , other times I prefer "english-y ASL", it's certainly NOT SEE/II (ICK) ... it's almost what we used to call PSE -it more closely follows english word order, but retains many aspects of ASL ... for me, because I have usable residual hearing, but tend to understand concepts given in ASL -this system tends to work best for me. I also request that my interprets mouth many of the phrases and technical terms - they do a LOT of work !! I adore the interpreters that work with me and my class!!!
I should mention that I almost never have to do those horrendous 2-hr jobs anymore. That was a really tough time. Trading off every 20-30 mins is standard, these were special cases.

Transliteration is a direct translation between two languages (eg. spoken English and English-based sign language)

I would respectfully disagree. When you're transliterating, you're not working between two languages at all. You're working between two modes (spoken vs. signed). The language is the same--English.

In one of the Deaf Culture books (Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture or the blue "American Deaf Culture" by Wilcox), the author talks about that if someone is signing on stage and someone walks in and asks, "What is that?" it is acceptable to say "sign language." On the other hand, if someone is on stage speaking Russian and someone walks in and says, "What is that?" it is unacceptable to say "Oh, that's spoken language."

For some reason people don't get that sign language isn't a language; American Sign Language is. Sign is a mode of language, not a language in and of itself.

I prefer the term signed language interpreter, not sign language interpreter. I know it's a small distinction, but technically "sign language interpreter" isn't semantically correct.

What exactly is Gestuno and is it important for Terps to have (at least) a basic understanding of it? And what about PSE? Must it be learned as well?

PSE is Pidgin Signed English. Among spoken languages, pidgin languages come into being when there are two languages that are used in the same area.

The dictionary says pidgin is: "an auxiliary language that has come into existence through the attempts by the speakers of two different languages to communicate and that is primarily a simplified form of one of the languages, with a reduced vocabulary and grammatical structure and considerable variation in pronunciation. "

PSE is, for all practical purposes, ASL vocabulary in English word order.

What exactly is Gestuno and is it important for Terps to have (at least) a basic understanding of it? And what about PSE? Must it be learned as well?
C'mon now...this is stuff you could be looking up in Wikipedia...both Gestuno and PSE are in there!

C'mon now...this is stuff you could be looking up in Wikipedia...both Gestuno and PSE are in there!

Yes Etoile I did. But what would like to know is if Gestuno is required learning for real-life Terps. :)

Yes Etoile I did. But what would like to know is if Gestuno is required learning for real-life Terps. :)
Well, consider what you learned about Gestuno (International Sign is the proper term now) in the Wikipedia article. Does it sound like something that is used on a regular basis in the US? (Trying to help you think it through rather than just asking for the answer. ;) )

I just got a call from the college and the ASL class that I registered for has been cancelled. Registration was low so they removed the course. :(

Sorry Etoile, I did not mean to get you upset.

I'm not upset, I'm just trying to get you to think on your feet like you will have to do when you are an interpreter. Right now, you're asking others for answers. While interpreting, you will often have a team interpreter, but you can't expect them to feed you every word. You have to be actively thinking to interpret, so I'm trying to show you some examples of active thinking - like parsing a Wikipedia article for whether it contains the answer to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back