Terps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a call from the college and the ASL class that I registered for has been cancelled. Registration was low so they removed the course. :(

Sorry Etoile, I did not mean to get you upset.

AB - sorry to hear that ... ughhh :(

If you have a Webcam you might be able to hook up with some people who'd be able to "chat" with you ... and with webcam distance doesn't matter;) and it's free ... just a thought

Sorry your class got nixed ...

P.S. for the record, I don't know a stitch of I.S. ... either does anyone I know ... not that that's a ton of people ... I also don't know a stitch of Esperanto (nor anyone who does)

AB - sorry to hear that ... ughhh :(

If you have a Webcam you might be able to hook up with some people who'd be able to "chat" with you ... and with webcam distance doesn't matter;) and it's free ... just a thought

Sorry your class got nixed ...
Try the CamFrog.com software - they have deaf video chat rooms.

And even that isn't an explanation of the whole process! There are entire courses in ITP's that talk about how interpreting works. As in, how the brain does the work. It's really very exhausting work...if I interpret for a two-hour presentation solo, I feel like I'm very drunk. Totally useless, unable to think straight at all. There is a LOT involved with interpreting. It's cultural mediation, it's storytelling, it's tech-talk, it's being transparent...it's really complicated.

AB, I strongly recommend the "So You Want to Be an Interpreter" book to get more of an idea about the profession you want to go into. You said you have "Interpreting: An Introduction" and that's a good one, but "So You Wanna" (as it's often called) is even better.

That's the text we use in the intro course. It is an excellent reference. Even though I am fluent in both ASL and English, I find terping to be an extremely difficult process. i can communicate quite easily and effectivley in ASL, but struggle if I am forced to interpret. I find it difficult to think in two languages at once. My experience is limited to situations with my son, or emergency situations at school if a terp is running late for a class assignment, etc. That is why I always try to point out that interpreting requires so much more than a fluency in languages. I know some CODAs that are native signers that don't have terping skills.

That's the text we use in the intro course. It is an excellent reference. Even though I am fluent in both ASL and English, I find terping to be an extremely difficult process. i can communicate quite easily and effectivley in ASL, but struggle if I am forced to interpret. I find it difficult to think in two languages at once. My experience is limited to situations with my son, or emergency situations at school if a terp is running late for a class assignment, etc. That is why I always try to point out that interpreting requires so much more than a fluency in languages. I know some CODAs that are native signers that don't have terping skills.

I couldnt do it. I have to interpret for my brother at family gatherings so I wait for the person to finish talking and then repeat what they say in ASL for my brother and vice versa. I tried at the same time, it just wont work for me. I become too confused.

I'm not upset, I'm just trying to get you to think on your feet like you will have to do when you are an interpreter. Right now, you're asking others for answers. While interpreting, you will often have a team interpreter, but you can't expect them to feed you every word. You have to be actively thinking to interpret, so I'm trying to show you some examples of active thinking - like parsing a Wikipedia article for whether it contains the answer to your question.

Yes I understand but I wanted to get a Terps viewpoint. I am active in my research. I don't ask because I do not know, I ask because I want to learn what you know; your vantage point.

PSE is Pidgin Signed English. Among spoken languages, pidgin languages come into being when there are two languages that are used in the same area.

The dictionary says pidgin is: "an auxiliary language that has come into existence through the attempts by the speakers of two different languages to communicate and that is primarily a simplified form of one of the languages, with a reduced vocabulary and grammatical structure and considerable variation in pronunciation. "

PSE is, for all practical purposes, ASL vocabulary in English word order.
Yep, that's me... PSE.

i hear international sign language is used at international conferences, and from what ive been told, you can have a basic conversation with a ISL user in ASL.

so unless you plan to work those kinds of rare situations, there's no need for it. Im sure in these situations they might use a CDI

i hear international sign language is used at international conferences, and from what ive been told, you can have a basic conversation with a ISL user in ASL.

so unless you plan to work those kinds of rare situations, there's no need for it. Im sure in these situations they might use a CDI
Are you talking about a sign language that everyone understand or a person who is fluent in every sign language around the world?

My ASL diction is growing by the minute and I love it! I don't know if you can believe it but for the last month I have learned/memorized some 270 signs!! Using those memory/learning methods mentioned earlier, I think I might be able (I'll try and see) to input all the signs in Costello’s 4,500 word dictionaries. Wouldn't that be just awesome!?

Of course my main objective is not only to learn from books (and such), but also to interact with the Deaf in order to apply my new skills. It is said that learning is knowledge and that wisdom is applied knowledge so I must do both in order to find success (to a degree and area) in what I desire to become- a Terp.

Thank you all again for your support. Please stay with me for I need to lean on you during these initial steps.

My ASL diction is growing by the minute and I love it! I don't know if you can believe it but for the last month I have learned/memorized some 270 signs!! Using those memory/learning methods mentioned earlier, I think I might be able (I'll try and see) to input all the signs in Costello’s 4,500 word dictionaries. Wouldn't that be just awesome!?

Of course my main objective is not only to learn from books (and such), but also to interact with the Deaf in order to apply my new skills. It is said that learning is knowledge and that wisdom is applied knowledge so I must do both in order to find success (to a degree and area) in what I desire to become- a Terp.

Thank you all again for your support. Please stay with me for I need to lean on you during these initial steps.
AB, keep in mind that you need to interact with deaf people to know if you're making the signs correctly. It's entirely possible to learn wrong when you're relying on still photographs or line drawings. I would recommend meeting some deaf people and making sure you are interpreting the pictures correctly before learning 1500 signs the wrong way.

AB, keep in mind that you need to interact with deaf people to know if you're making the signs correctly. It's entirely possible to learn wrong when you're relying on still photographs or line drawings. I would recommend meeting some deaf people and making sure you are interpreting the pictures correctly before learning 1500 signs the wrong way.

I totally agree. The fantastic thing about my learning method(s) is that I can "stack" what I am learning. So let's say that there are four signs for one particular word…I can attach a new sign (of the same word) to the old (first) sign for that word. The great thing about it is that I will recognize most signs regardless of age or region. So I m covered regardless.

It is my MAIN aim to socialize (this month!) with Deaf individuals. That is key; a paramount step forward in my learning.

If the worse occurs, for reasons beyond my control, and I can’t attend a Deaf gathering this month, I will be disappointed but not discouraged. I will not allow anything to detour me from my goals.

PEA0334~Peanuts-Never-Ever-EVER-Give-Up-Posters.jpg

This a curious question that I never understood (or asked why): When a signer points his/her left index finger to the thumb side of the right "fingerspelling" hand, does he/she do it as a personal preference or is it done to indicate a grammar rule- like a quotation of a word/phrase?

This a curious question that I never understood (or asked why): When a signer points his/her left index finger to the thumb side of the right "fingerspelling" hand, does he/she do it as a personal preference or is it done to indicate a grammar rule- like a quotation of a word/phrase?

ummm I'm trying to visualize what you mean (I might just be over tired) ... do you have an example ?(vlog, or other source that shows this?)

ummm I'm trying to visualize what you mean (I might just be over tired) ... do you have an example ?(vlog, or other source that shows this?)
I know what he's talking about, I'll try to find a vlog example.

For what is worth, in terms of viewing Terps work via video :)roll:), it looks more professional to me somehow. That's just me private thought in regard to that left index-finger position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back