Teacher of the Deaf programs

Out of the 70 TOD programs, how many emphasize listening and spoken language?

• 0-15

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 16-30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31-45

• 46-60

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • 61+

• Total voters
But it isn't the same as hearing kids. Oral schools and classes are NOT teaching the same way that mainstream schools are. I guess that is a misconception that some people have. They do cover the same curriculum as a hearing school, but the teachers are teaching using accomodations and strategies designed for deaf kids who use spoken language.

I think you misunderstanding how mainstream teachers handle deaf children. Go ask them. I know very well how they handle them because I lived in it from preschool-12th.

of course not, I knew how to adapt myself when it come to classroom setting as long as the teacher know how to provide visual aids to me so I know what's going on. I knew a big different from teachers who didn't care (like some of my college teachers) and teachers who made the effect so I understood them. It doesn't mean I can understand every word they said. but I understood the concept of what they were teaching.

And yes, the social is really bad. But I don't think putting them in oral only school will help if they struggle with social skills if they are struggling with hearing. My older sister and I were horrible to each other at communicating.

I think it is safe to assume that if a child can not hear what the teacher says they will not be able learn the information.

I think you misunderstanding how mainstream teachers handle deaf children. Go ask them. I know very well how they handle them because I lived in it from preschool-12th.

My daughter attends a mainstream school. She is in an oral program, so she spends most of the time with a TOD, but yes, she does also have time in the mainstream. There is a HUGE difference between the way her TOD teaches and the way the mainstream teachers teach.

I can see what you mean. I was in regular english, but I got pulled out to a special education class and I could see a big difference in their teaching style. Although their teaching style is still Auditory-based (and sometimes too heavily on auditory because some of these kids are very auditory learners) No one in that class is deaf.

Your daughter is just learning speech, so I can see why their method is different. They are trying to gain her speech and vocabulary.

I can see what you mean. I was in regular english, but I got pulled out to a special education class and I could see a big difference in their teaching style. Although their teaching style is still Auditory-based (and sometimes too heavily on auditory because some of these kids are very auditory learners) No one in that class is deaf.

Your daughter is just learning speech, so I can see why their method is different. They are trying to gain her speech and vocabulary.

No, my daughter is NOT just learning speech. She is gaining LANGUAGE and she is learning everything that every first grader is learning. She has learned to read, her math skills are above average, she is age appropriate in her academics.

But they still have to use a diffferent method for her, right? I think it's great she is doing well.

But they still have to use a diffferent method for her, right. I think it's great she is doing well.

We want them to use methods for a deaf child, because she is deaf. She needs teachers who understands her needs.

We want them to use methods for a deaf child, because she is deaf. She needs teachers who understands her needs.

You need to list of what a CI and HOH need. Because I am trying to figure what is the different between a public school teacher who understood my needs and TOD working with CI kids. I'm trying to see if they did the same thing you are describing, considering that I am profound deaf with HA-They worked extra hard.

You need to list of what a CI and HOH need (never mind profound deaf who wear HA or sign). Because I am trying to figure what is the different between a public school teacher who understood my needs and TOD working with CI kids.

The first thing is that she is never in a class bigger than 6 kids with a teacher and an aide. When they do reading, it is one on one.

They do a lot of homework that is focused on being able to discriminate all sounds. Since she is using phonics to learn to read, she has to be able to hear the difference between the sounds.

They also do everything in their power to eliminate all background noise.

They also explain every single new word that is introduced. Like, if they are reading a story and the book uses the word, humongous, the teacher stops and asks all the kids if they know what that word means. If they say yes, she asks them to explain it to the rest of the class. These are words that average hearing 1st graders would know with no problem, but that maybe the deaf kids don't know.

For spelling tests, they also ask the kids not to just learn how to spell the word, but they also have to use the word (themselves) in a sentence. (The teacher says "tell me about round", and the child uses round in a sentence they make up).

Also, every morning they do a hearing aid, CI, and FM system check. Everyone knows how the devices work, and how to troubleshoot them.

The first thing is that she is never in a class bigger than 6 kids with a teacher and an aide. When they do reading, it is one on one.

They do a lot of homework that is focused on being able to discriminate all sounds. Since she is using phonics to learn to read, she has to be able to hear the difference between the sounds.

They also do everything in their power to eliminate all background noise.

They also explain every single new word that is introduced. Like, if they are reading a story and the book uses the word, humongous, the teacher stops and asks all the kids if they know what that word means. If they say yes, she asks them to explain it to the rest of the class. These are words that average hearing 1st graders would know with no problem, but that maybe the deaf kids don't know.

For spelling tests, they also ask the kids not to just learn how to spell the word, but they also have to use the word (themselves) in a sentence. (The teacher says "tell me about round", and the child uses round in a sentence they make up).

Also, every morning they do a hearing aid, CI, and FM system check. Everyone knows how the devices work, and how to troubleshoot them.

Sounds like what I do in my reading class and spelling classes except for the phonics part. The phonics are focused in speech classes so it sounds like speech lessons are being incorporated in the classroom setting. Just what I thought.

No, my daughter is NOT just learning speech. She is gaining LANGUAGE and she is learning everything that every first grader is learning. She has learned to read, her math skills are above average, she is age appropriate in her academics.

So are many of the students who have no speech skills. My son's deaf friend who is 4 years old already knows how to add and read and comprehend on the 1st grade level. All without speech skills.

The first thing is that she is never in a class bigger than 6 kids with a teacher and an aide. When they do reading, it is one on one. >>> ok, that was the same with me in special ed. They sat down with me, and made me read aloud and they would correct me as I go along. I thought I would point out that I didn't go to special ed until I transferred to my local school, around 4th grade. I did go to a special ed class in kindergarten for half of the day and then regular classes, but it was special ed and not a deaf class. all other classes (on other subjects like math, social studies) were about 32 at the most. oh and regular elementary classes also made me read aloud as well.

<<<<They do a lot of homework that is focused on being able to discriminate all sounds. Since she is using phonics to learn to read, she has to be able to hear the difference between the sounds. >>>>> That was done in my speech therapy, and some reading/spelling/grammar classes

They also do everything in their power to eliminate all background noise. >>> They provided me FM system to eliminate that.. and all their classroom were carpeted (but the other school when I transferred did not have carpeted classroom, but they did have less students because of rural area) . They also put me in front. They always made sure I get the carpet classroom when I was in Jr. and Sr. high school,. when I was in high school when I was no longer in special Ed, they made sure I took English in trailer class because it was smaller and had carpet. But most of the special Ed. were carpeted and had a very small classroom.

<<They also explain every single new word that is introduced. Like, if they are reading a story and the book uses the word, humongous, the teacher stops and asks all the kids if they know what that word means. If they say yes, she asks them to explain it to the rest of the class. These are words that average hearing 1st graders would know with no problem, but that maybe the deaf kids don't know.>> Just to let you know, they do that with our hearing son. They take words from the story in their reading class, ask them to look up the meaning and ask them what the meaning is, and use it as one of their spelling words. I remember doing the same thing. Althought, I think stopping in the middle of a story would stop their train of thoughts of that story.. kinda like interrupting their imagination in a way. I think that's why our son's teacher introduce the vocabulary first, and then have them read the story. At least that's what he tell me when I see the title of a story they are reading on their spelling words and I asked him if he already read the story.

<<<For spelling tests, they also ask the kids not to just learn how to spell the word, but they also have to use the word (themselves) in a sentence. (The teacher says "tell me about round", and the child uses round in a sentence they make up).>>> for my son, they made him to write their spelling word in a sentence. It was part of his homework. Again, I remember I had to do the same thing.

<<<Also, every morning they do a hearing aid, CI, and FM system check. Everyone knows how the devices work, and how to troubleshoot them.>>>> When I had a FM system, my public school teachers did the same thing.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like what I do in my reading class and spelling classes except for the phonics part. The phonics are focused in speech classes so it sounds like speech lessons are being incorporated in the classroom setting. Just what I thought.

Do you think that hearing kids learning to read using phonics is a speech lesson? It is reading.

So are many of the students who have no speech skills. My son's deaf friend who is 4 years old already knows how to add and read and comprehend on the 1st grade level. All without speech skills.

I was pointing out that oral stundents are not only learning speech. If ASL and oral kids are learning the same things, that is good.

Do you think that hearing kids learning to read using phonics is a speech lesson? It is reading.

You constantly tell me that these kids are not hearing kids so why bring how hearing kids learn up?

Also, there are some hearing people who dont learn reading by phonics...they read using the Whole language approach.

yes. they hold up a card like "sl" or "st" ... even my son's speech therapy do this...he come home with a list of words to practice but not only that, his teachers did teach phonic in spelling, I have lots of paper to prove it.

The first thing is that she is never in a class bigger than 6 kids with a teacher and an aide. When they do reading, it is one on one. >>> ok, that was the same with me in special ed. They sat down with me, and made me read aloud and they would correct me as I go along. I thought I would point out that I didn't go to special ed until I transferred to my local school, around 4th grade. I did go to a special ed class in kindergarten for half of the day and then regular classes, but it was special ed and not a deaf class. all other classes (on other subjects like math, social studies) were about 32 at the most. oh and regular elementary classes also made me read aloud as well.

<<<<They do a lot of homework that is focused on being able to discriminate all sounds. Since she is using phonics to learn to read, she has to be able to hear the difference between the sounds. >>>>> That was done in my speech therapy, and some reading/spelling/grammar classes

They also do everything in their power to eliminate all background noise. >>> They provided me FM system to eliminate that.. and all their classroom were carpeted (but the other school when I transferred did not have carpeted classroom, but they did have less students because of rural area) . They also put me in front. They always made sure I get the carpet classroom when I was in Jr. and Sr. high school,. when I was in high school when I was no longer in special Ed, they made sure I took English in trailer class because it was smaller and had carpet. But most of the special Ed. were carpeted and had a very small classroom.

<<They also explain every single new word that is introduced. Like, if they are reading a story and the book uses the word, humongous, the teacher stops and asks all the kids if they know what that word means. If they say yes, she asks them to explain it to the rest of the class. These are words that average hearing 1st graders would know with no problem, but that maybe the deaf kids don't know.>> Just to let you know, they do that with our hearing son. They take words from the story in their reading class, ask them to look up the meaning and ask them what the meaning is, and use it as one of their spelling words. I remember doing the same thing. Althought, I think stopping in the middle of a story would stop their train of thoughts of that story.. kinda like interrupting their imagination in a way. I think that's why our son's teacher introduce the vocabulary first, and then have them read the story. At least that's what he tell me when I see the title of a story they are reading on their spelling words and I asked him if he already read the story.

<<<For spelling tests, they also ask the kids not to just learn how to spell the word, but they also have to use the word (themselves) in a sentence. (The teacher says "tell me about round", and the child uses round in a sentence they make up).>>> for my son, they made him to write their spelling word in a sentence. It was part of his homework. Again, I remember I had to do the same thing.

<<<Also, every morning they do a hearing aid, CI, and FM system check. Everyone knows how the devices work, and how to troubleshoot them.>>>> When I had a FM system, my public school teachers did the same thing.
[/QUOTE]

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that you had a great education in special ed? If so, fabulous, I'm glad. I don't want my child to be in special ed because she does not have a learning disability, she is deaf. She needs to be taught by people who understand deafness and how deaf children learn. Why are you against that?

You constantly tell me that these kids are not hearing kids so why bring how hearing kids learn up?

Also, there are some hearing people who dont learn reading by phonics...they read using the Whole language approach.

You said that phonics was speech and didn't belong in the classroom. I disagree. Phonics is a way of teaching reading. It may not belong in your classroom, but it does belong in some classrooms.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that you had a great education in special ed? If so, fabulous, I'm glad. I don't want my child to be in special ed because she does not have a learning disability, she is deaf. She needs to be taught by people who understand deafness and how deaf children learn. Why are you against that?

I am not against it, I just pointing out any teachers can be hired do it. They are not uneducated as you think.

yes. they hold up a card like "sl" or "st" ... even my son's speech therapy do this...he come home with a list of words to practice but not only that, his teachers did teach phonic in spelling, I have lots of paper to prove it.

Phonics is reading in my daughter's class, it has nothing to do with the words coming out of her mouth.

For example:

She would have a page that says-

AT

cat mat fat rat sat hat bat

She sound out all those words and then move on to a story with all AT sound words. She is learning to read using phonics.

Back