Teacher of the Deaf programs

Out of the 70 TOD programs, how many emphasize listening and spoken language?

• 0-15

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 16-30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31-45

• 46-60

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • 61+

• Total voters

faire_jour

Reaction score
I found some interesting facts about Teacher of the Deaf programs and I thought I would ask what you guys thought...

I can't answer because all my teachers were just your average public school teachers who have very little training on deaf children ... The only time I got pulled out of my classroom to special education/LD was for English and even they were not specifically trained to handle deaf. They were mainstreamed Special Education teachers.

I also read a statistic that says (as of 2007) of the 572 graduates of teacher o the Deaf programs, how many received instruction that emphasized auditory-based learning?

I know that most use SEE or Total communication. Deaf people are visual learners and there is nothing wrong with that. And I am sure they have speech therapy. I would be shocked if majority use auditory base learning.. and disappointed

Last edited:
I don't think that SEE is being taught in the schools, and neither is cued speech. I think that the programs teach either ASL or lstening and spoken language.

Most deaf people tell me that they were taught either SEE or Total communication in school. Mainly because the hearing teachers are trying to teach English to deaf students.

Wirelessly posted

But that was a lot of years ago, right? this is teachers graduating now. TOD programs today.

Wirelessly posted

Frisky Feline said:
Can you clarify what this number of the poll was all about ?

Of the 70 teacher of the deaf programs in the us, how many focus on listening and spoken language? the rest would focus on signing.

I noticed that even younger CI kids use SEE.

about the number of deaf using signing, I would think they are the majority.. which I am glad because it is the deaf rights to know and learn visual language even if they don't use it. I still think most teachers of the deaf use English based signing (I noticed that the gov't dept. of Education seem to support Mase or whatever that is). If more are using ASL, I think that's good news because of better job opportunities, being able to use a VRS better (to communicate with hearing) , Being able to go to Gally without being behind on ASL. This doesn't mean I don't support teaching spoken and written English. I think they should use written English as much as they can. And spoken too if it is not too stressful for them.

I certainly hope most schools for the deaf is not oral-only! That would push many deaf who can not benefit from CI (or don't want it) behind. The school for the deaf should be able to work with all deaf of all sort of background. So if she use sign language to teach, it is because everyone can be included to her lesson.. instead of a small group at a time.

I noticed that even younger CI kids use SEE.

about the number of deaf using signing, I would think they are the majority.. which I am glad because it is the deaf rights to know and learn visual language even if they don't use it. I still think most teachers of the deaf use English based signing (I noticed that the gov't dept. of Education seem to support Mase or whatever that is). If more are using ASL, I think that's good news because of better job opportunities, being able to use a VRS better (to communicate with hearing) , Being able to go to Gally without being behind on ASL. This doesn't mean I don't support teaching spoken and written English. I think they should use written English as much as they can. And spoken too if it is not too stressful for them.

I certainly hope most schools for the deaf is not oral-only! That would push many deaf who can not benefit from CI (or don't want it) behind. The school for the deaf should be able to work with all deaf of all sort of background. So if she use sign language to teach, it is because everyone can be included to her lesson.. instead of a small group at a time.

But, something like 90% of students are seeking a "spoken language outcome", so shouldn't the teachers be trained according to the need?

And you think they aren't. Most of my teachers don't bother "spoken language" with me either. They are too busy teaching other subjects. Other than make me read at loud But my speech therapist did.

But, something like 90% of students are seeking a "spoken language outcome", so shouldn't the teachers be trained according to the need?

No, they shouldn't. It is not speech therapy. Also, if you are saying they should be trained , what happens to teachers who are deaf like me for one? Should we be kicked out of the education field?

No, they shouldn't. It is not speech therapy. Also, if you are saying they should be trained , what happens to teachers who are deaf like me for one? Should we be kicked out of the education field?

Speech therapy is done by a speech therapist, a teacher teaches. They are totally different jobs and different skill sets. Oral school teachers are not speech therapists. The schools have both professionals but they are not interchangeable.

Speech therapy is done by a speech therapist, a teacher teaches. They are totally different jobs and different skill sets. Oral school teachers are not speech therapists. The schools have both professionals but they are not interchangeable.

If you feel that all teachers of the deaf should be trained, what about us, who are profoundly deaf? Where do we fit in this picture?

If you feel that all teachers of the deaf should be trained, what about us, who are profoundly deaf? Where do we fit in this picture?

I asked if teachers should be trained according to the needs of the students. I happen to know two profoundly deaf, oral teachers of the deaf, but that is beside the point. There will always be a need for ASL teachers of the deaf.

I asked if teachers should be trained according to the needs of the students. I happen to know two profoundly deaf, oral teachers of the deaf, but that is beside the point. There will always be a need for ASL teachers of the deaf.

To answer your quesion to post #12, I say no because teachers should be focused on getting trained to teach the curriculm, manage the classroom, write IEPs/reports, and anything related to education..not oralism.

To answer your quesion to post #12, I say no because teachers should be focused on getting trained to teach the curriculm, manage the classroom, write IEPs/reports, and anything related to education..not oralism.

But they can do all those things using spoken language. They will be teaching the curriculum, educating, writing IEP's, etc, all the things you do Shel, but doing them in spoken language. They are teaching deaf children, just like you are, but using a different language.

I know alot deaf people hate mainstreamed school, but they are the only one who does that.

Back