Teacher of the Deaf programs

Out of the 70 TOD programs, how many emphasize listening and spoken language?

• 0-15

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 16-30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31-45

• 46-60

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • 61+

• Total voters
What you are wishing for.. teach in spoken language.

In fact, why don't public school teachers be trained to handle CI and HOH kids who don't use any signing system.

What you are wishing for.. teach in spoken language.

First of all, why do you think I am wishing for that? :dunno:

Second of all, you are wrong. There are auditory oral deaf schools. http://www.oraldeafed.org/schools/index.html John Tracy Clinic is one of them, so is CID. They are schools, only for deaf kids, that are staffed by Teachers of the Deaf, and are conducted completely in spoken language.

well, take your daughter to that.. but don't go around complaining every deaf schools about it

In fact, why don't public school teachers be trained to handle CI and HOH kids who don't use any signing system.

Because the average school teacher will never meet a deaf student in their entire career. Why would they be trained for it?

because of CI, they will be seeing more. And beside, why implant your child (This is something you always tell us) if you feel you can't get her to assimilate to the hearing society?

well, take your daughter to that.. but don't go around complaining every deaf schools about it

Number one, I'm not complaining.
Number two, my daughter already attends one.

I asked a question. The question was, how many teachers of the deaf use ASL and how many use spoken language? My second question was, if 90% of deaf kids are using spoken language, what percentage of teachers should be skilled in that area?

I don't think that SEE is being taught in the schools, and neither is cued speech. I think that the programs teach either ASL or lstening and spoken language.

SEE is being taught in public schools, as are Cue and CASE. Many ToDs don't even have a functional knowledge of ASL. In our district most deaf students who rely on sign don't learn ASL until high school or later and they do so on their own accord.

SEE is being taught in public schools, as are Cue and CASE. Many ToDs don't even have a functional knowledge of ASL. In our district most deaf students who rely on sign don't learn ASL until high school or later and they do so on their own accord.

You know of a TOD program that teaches cued speech as the methodology?

I'm not talking about what the interpreters use in a mainstream setting. I mean what the teachers are being taught in their Master's programs.

No, she means what she said, that is what they use in their self-contained class for the deaf in public school. (I wanted to go to one, I didn't care if I had one teacher for the rest of my life, but mom told me no)

No, she means it, that is what they use in their self-contained class for the deaf in public school. (I wanted to go to one, I didn't care if I had one teacher for the rest of my life, but mom told me no)

Ah, that is interesting. I only know about my state and the state schools for the Deaf. All of those use ASL.

Ah, that is interesting. I only know about my state and the state schools for the Deaf. All of those use ASL.

I know that school for the deaf is ASL and probably use other method.. but most school system (county school, city school) do have a at least one self -contained class for the deaf. Depending on where you live.

I know that school for the deaf is ASL and probably use other method.. but most school do have a self -contained class for the deaf

Again, not "most". Most schools have never had a deaf or hoh student, but yes, some have self contained classes.

Again, not "most". Most schools have never had a deaf or hoh student, but yes, some have self contained classes.

You can pretty much find them anywhere. They usually don't publish it on the web. You have to call your local school and ask them what is the nearest deaf self-contained class they have.

You can pretty much find them anywhere. They usually don't publish it on the web. You have to call your local school and ask them what is the nearest deaf self-contained class they have.

Right but they don't have them everywhere. In the entire state of Utah, there are exactly 3. If you live outside the major metro-population area, you have no choice except mainstreaming.

Right but they don't have them everywhere. In the entire state of Utah, there are exactly 3. If you live outside the major metro-population area, you have no choice except mainstreaming.

Right, and most country folks do not want to move or can't move. Which is why I say, why don't public school teachers be trained to handle non-signing CI and HOH kids?

Last edited:
I have no idea what they learn in their Masters courses, but it doesn't really matter, does it? Teachers will generally work where they can get a job, especially with all of the staff and budget cuts our lovely economy has lead us to. They may spend their higher education learning how to be a Bi-Bi teacher, only to find that the best job they can get is part time in a mixed TC/speech delay classroom.

Herein lies the problem, IMHO. How is 1 teacher supposed to train to meet the needs of the individual students in a classroom setting? Given the variety of IEP goals, a very small class of 6-8 can be a nightmare.

child 1 - oral, no sign, not deaf
child 2-5 - TC with SEE/PSE mix
child 6 - Bi-Bi, ASL, no speech
child 7-8 - unable to speak, unable to sign (due to other disabilities)

As long as IEPs are being written and LRE is in play, there will be all sorts of interesting combinations... and that's before they mainstream with the hearing kids.

How is a teacher supposed to train for that? The continuing ed would be never ending.

Back