Teacher of the Deaf programs

Out of the 70 TOD programs, how many emphasize listening and spoken language?

• 0-15

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 16-30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31-45

• 46-60

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • 61+

• Total voters
Not at all. This is absolutly how every hearing school teaches reading. I was posting that to show it wasn't speech therapy. Yes, nearly every hearing class teaches reading through phonics. That was not an example of deaf ed vs mainstream.

Very incorrect. Not every hearing school uses the same methodology fo; r teaching reading. In fact, the percentage of hearing children that learn successfully through phonics is not as great as you might think. There is a direct correlation between the increase in the use of phonics and the drop in reading comprehension rates of high school graduates. And comprehension is the primary goal of reading. One reads to understand, not to learn to pronounce.

Exactly. Phonics have never been my forte in English and don't get me started on foreign words. I know a lot of words in English but I have no idea how to pronounce them because English phonics isn't very inconsistent. The word fish could just easily be spelled ghoti for example.

Heck, its not even the forte for many hearing people.:lol: Especially in regard to English. It is one of the most phonetically inconsistent languages there is.

Very incorrect. Not every hearing school uses the same methodology fo; r teaching reading. In fact, the percentage of hearing children that learn successfully through phonics is not as great as you might think. There is a direct correlation between the increase in the use of phonics and the drop in reading comprehension rates of high school graduates. And comprehension is the primary goal of reading. One reads to understand, not to learn to pronounce.

When my brother was learning to read they were using phonics. He put so much effort into the sounds and pronunciation that he missed the actual meaning of the word, which the teachers also missed reinforcing. I would help him while he read aloud and was shocked at how little he understood. "What does that mean?" I wish they'd put half as much effort into vocabulary and comprehension as they did phonics. To this day he still struggles with comprehension and has dropped out of college because the classes were too 'book heavy'.

Luckily, with my deaf daughter, i won't have a problem with that. We've already cut articulation and phonics out of her IEP. Site reading is her only option. Little worried about my older daughter though. May end up teaching reading properly at home.

have your daughter proofread for people as well. It is a good learning experience.

if she seem to be falling behind on reading, you can try cued speech and have her read aloud with cued speech. Or just ask teachers who are experienced with deaf people who have great reading and writing skills.

Some of the kids in my English class had to use phonic. They were auditory learners and this is what worked best for them. You'll noticed that in sites like readingrockets.org use mostly phonics and musics to teach them how to read.

Hi, I have "Signing Time" dvd set the best system I found so far it is really easy and fun, my kids love it, the bad thing is that is really expensive, I have the series one and two and the set for babies, total like 32 dvds plus cds, I have an extra set that I don't need so if you are interested just email me for details, thanks

Hi, I have "Signing Time" dvd set the best system I found so far it is really easy and fun, my kids love it, the bad thing is that is really expensive, I have the series one and two and the set for babies, total like 32 dvds plus cds, I have an extra set that I don't need so if you are interested just email me for details, thanks

I've seen this posted in several threads. If people are interested, they will let you know. Don't derail threads with personal ads.

Back