T-Mobile Sidekick LX 3G Officially Announced All Over Again

Does video in G1 is run so smooth?

Does G1 support other media streaming than Youtube, such as break.com and other media streaming? How is media streaming so run under EDGE network?

There is no choppy playback for stored video files. Like for the king of the hill eps I have on it, I have to convert the original avi > into MP4 format. Each one's about 200+ mb. I store it on the SDcard. The G1 supports 16GB minisd, I forgot what's the max, I dunno if it can do 32GB.

For online streaming of youtube, playback is flawless if you use WiFi to load it. If you load it over ATT EDGE or 2G/3G you will see the same thing as any other phone - slow speeds, video is downloaded at 23-50kb+/sec, depending on your connection and what video. What it usually does is waits until the youtube clip is finished downloading, then plays it for you.

I haven't tried it for other websites yet, but I'll try it out. Right now I gotta go to class :sadwave:

There is no choppy playback for stored video files. Like for the king of the hill eps I have on it, I have to convert the original avi > into MP4 format. Each one's about 200+ mb. I store it on the SDcard. The G1 supports 16GB minisd, I forgot what's the max, I dunno if it can do 32GB.

For online streaming of youtube, playback is flawless if you use WiFi to load it. If you load it over ATT EDGE or 2G/3G you will see the same thing as any other phone - slow speeds, video is downloaded at 23-50kb+/sec, depending on your connection and what video. What it usually does is waits until the youtube clip is finished downloading, then plays it for you.

I haven't tried it for other websites yet, but I'll try it out. Right now I gotta go to class :sadwave:

For BB under Verizon, I got 50-90kb/sec via download the video.

Ok, you can go to break.com in mobile version and test on media streaming.

For Youtube or media streaming under EDGE, I always thought it would buffers alot before play so smooth.

Can you install apps in microSD card? I know BB can't but probably add on OS 5.0.

How much price for unlimited data and text only under att network for G1?

Danger, Inc., was bought out by Microsoft, so we should be seeing some improvements in the next Sidekicks.

Me, too. Sidekick has too many problems and glitches. I've been wondering if I should switch to BB.

Second here, I have bad memory with SK3 and never want go back to Sidekick again.

Sidekick LX hands-on (you can see how Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube, etc., worked)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXF6nPnfeck]YouTube - Sidekick LX hands-on[/ame]

Nice video, Brian.

SK isn't my type anymore since I prefer other phone with unlimited OS for install apps since SK and iPhone are limited when come with freedom of apps that you can install.

It's first time for SK to have 3G to be displayed on screen but in SK3, I can't see status of GPRS or EDGE but rather to displayed as G but both of GPRS and EDGE are part of GSM family.

Thanks for the video Brian... I was looking at it on the Tmobile page... I just wish the new one was as sleek as my 2008... I might think more about it then...

I think I'm going to wait to see what the G2 is really like... then decide. Although no physical keyboard may be a turn off for me...

Such decisions !!! LOL

Just found this http://www.talkandroid.com/android-forums/android-hardware/341-t-mobile-g2-phone.html and it shows the G2 w/a physical keyboard!! Woohoo!! (it's too big or I'd put the whole page up~ but the pics on it are HUGE!)

Last edited:
G1 phone is nice. I got to play with a friend's - and was hooked. LOTS of nice features. ;)

Thanks for the video Brian... I was looking at it on the Tmobile page... I just wish the new one was as sleek as my 2008... I might think more about it then...

I think I'm going to wait to see what the G2 is really like... then decide. Although no physical keyboard may be a turn off for me...

Such decisions !!! LOL

Just found this The T-Mobile G2 phone - TalkAndroid.com and it shows the G2 w/a physical keyboard!! Woohoo!! (it's too big or I'd put the whole page up~ but the pics on it are HUGE!)

G2 wouldn't have physical keyboard, it's official design now.
BBC NEWS | Technology | Second 'Google phone' is unveiled

I'll stick with my blackberry 8820 but I'm planning on upgrading to Blackberry Curve. Blackberry for the win!

I left tmobile in last Aug 2008 after contract expire and never go back to tmobile again.

When SK3 released in Aug 2006 and I paid $400 with 2 years contract, that heck alot and it was bad deal.

well, then why do you have to bought it in first place if its over priced? :]

well, then why do you have to bought it in first place if its over priced? :]

SK3 was newly released at this time in July 2006 but I got SK3 for my graduation gift that my family bought it for me.

SK3 was so expensive and it has little better feature like 850 MHz was added to spectrum to catch the signal in missing spot, such as small town and support EDGE as well, however EDGE on tmobile is unstable when compare to att.

Now, I'm not SK user anymore, I'm BB user under Verizon because I live in rural area that where tmobile has little or no signal since att has moderate signal, around GPRS and EDGE.

I'm impressed with the new SK in that video, so I definitely can't wait to get mine soon enough. pretty nice upgrade from the SK3 it seems.

If microsoft bought Danger Inc, then there goes Danger down the toilet.

We are looking at options too since our Tmob contract expires this summer.

Decisions Decisions

I had a problem with the G1 when I ordered it through T-Mobile.

It all started when I did the pre-order in September. The customer service agent gave me false information and told me that I could get the phone with just a data package. I got the phone and then T-Mobile called me to tell me that if I didn't get a minute plan with the data pack I'd have my account shut off.

I told them that the 1st agent I spoke to said that it would be fine. They said "Well the rules state that you need a minute plan" I said "When did they make the rules?" and I was told October... Even though I spoke to the agent and ordered the phone in September.

Long story short, they wouldn't let me keep the phone without getting minutes and ... I don't use minutes cause I can't really talk on a phone :P

Anyways, I liked the G1 but it's programs (like AIM and MSN) were very very buggy with random disconnects and bad layout. The keyboard was nice and the big touch screen was nifty, but I'm going to stick with the Sidekick because I refuse to buy minutes I won't ever use.

yeah I agree with the minutes... I won't buy minutes when I know I won't ever use them. what's the point?

If microsoft bought Danger Inc, then there goes Danger down the toilet.

We are looking at options too since our Tmob contract expires this summer.

Decisions Decisions
You can probably get your hands on a working model at your local T-Mobile store and see for yourself if it's worth getting. :)

I now have my new Sidekick LX in my hands, and I freaking LOVE it! I'm happy with it so far. :)

Back