Surgeries / Operations

deafdyke said:
Yes, she knows no different.....I remember when I had my foot surgeries that they were fun....I got to miss school and go to the playroom and everything! lol....I said that to my friend Diana....the LOOK on her face! lol!

You're quite right. I really didn't no any different. It's just the way it was. The hospital became like a second home for me, almost. It actually WAS a second home during the first year or so of my life due to the fact that I was INpatient more than I was OUTpatient the first 18 mos of my life, if you know what I mean? ;)

And, oh those LOOKS! I know EXACTLY what you mean, Deafdyke!
I used to do the same thing to my extended family. I'd say something outlandish, and watch their eyes bug out of their head. I so enjoyed this as a child! I had a mischevious streak, you might say. :giggle:

CODAchild said:
:thumb: I had my tonsils removed at the age of 23.

I know what it alike because I had my tonsil removed when I was 18 years old... terrible pain..... I can swallow properly... all what i do is eat ice cream and soup for whole 3 months until I was skinny..... :eek:

wow, interesting post, Oceanbreeze. I can image that hospital is your 2nd home... 29 surgeries... wow...

Here is my surgeries since I was 2 years old.

I had tonsils removed twice at age 2 and 18 years old.
I was hit by van when I was 2 years old. My 3 ribs were fractured and removed part of spleen.
Again removed all of spleen when I was 7 years old.

My eldest son was delivered by C-Section to world when I was just 30 years old.

Liebling:-))) said:
...I had tonsils removed twice at age 2 and 18 years old.
That is rare to have your tonsils removed twice. How did that happen? Did the first doctor forget something?

Oceanbreeze said:
:lol: Alright.

I was born with a hole in my spine, which was closed when I was 2 days old. That was my first surgery.

At three weeks old, I had my first brain surgery.

I had 11 brain surgeries by the time i was 3.

At six years old, I had kidney surgery, hip, and heart surgery all in the same year. So, we're up to what? 15? :lol:

Anyway, at age 10, I had a pressure ulcer surgically closed, so that makes 16. At age 11, I had my tonsils and adenoids out, that's 17.

Age thirteen, I had another brain surgery, so 18. And, at age 16, I had another kidney surgery, so that's 19 major surgeries in all.

I also had about 10 minor things done that I can't list because I don't remember them.

Suffice it to say, I've lead an interesting life. :lol:

:jaw: That's alot! Hope you don't have any more surgeries for a long time! That's a lot of suffering for ya.

RebelGirl said:
:jaw: That's a lot of suffering for ya.

Eh, like I said...I don't think I'd call it suffering. Like myself and DeafDyke already pointed out, experiences like these are considered normal when you've grown up with them.

Oceanbreeze said:
Eh, like I said...I don't think I'd call it suffering. Like myself and DeafDyke already pointed out, experiences like these are considered normal when you've grown up with them.

Yeah...I wouldn't think it's normal for me.. but I understand your point.

My operations/surgeries

Had this weird surgery (I bet this is an one-in-million surgery) where my swollen lymph nodes near my jawline had be drained over and over before the doctors conceded to surgically remove two of them.
(http://medicine.ucsd.edu/clinicalmed/head-lymphnodes2.JPG *warning: big picture!* I think the nodes in submandibular area are the ones I lost.)
Got weird scars in the end. I did mention somewhere that my scars from this surgery looked like bullet wounds. Seriously. Either that or a bite wound from Dracula. :)

I got several minor surgeries where a needle and thread were involved. (On my chin by falling off from my bicycle, on my eyebrow from running into a door's threshold, and another on my chin-- probably from the bicycle. Damn that bicycle!)

My oral surgery will come next-- I got two impacted wisdom teeth at bottom that are urgent to be operated at my hospital. They will remove an exposed upper wisdom tooth too. I am hoping they will take the fourth out as well just to save me time and spare me further growing pain. They denied me the operation before because the x-rays didn't show it will afflict pain. Well they did and a year later, they approved for the operation. Ay yi yi.

That's all.

Oh boy! I had a several operation and some of non-surgical.

6 years old -Non surgical: Farm vacation home, small swimming pool with well pump. I jumped empty pool onto fragmented glass both of my feet bleed badly. My mom called On-call doctor and nurse drive to farm vacation home. Removed lot of fragment glass and wrapped a bandage around my foot..

7 years old -Non surgical: at my grandparent's farm house, I was chased the farm snake and bits me on my fore arm, my grandmom called doctor, and doctor drive own black station wagon ambulance with a nurse attendent. No poison in my system whew!

8 Years old -small surgical: in the city home, I borrowed my brother bike, the car hits me, blacked me out till I woke up in the old station wagon ambulance and back to blackout again while rushing to the North Memorial hospital, Doctor repaired on my knee cap and casted up, my dad picked me up to bring home and I watch on TV of "Emergency!".

12 years old -Surgical: I moaned and painful, my mom puzzled I was moaning and pain, my mom grabbed me into the car, my dad drive down to Mayo hospital (U of Minn) [Now "University of Minnesota Medical Center of Fairvew Health Services - East Bank], my dad car tire blew out in downtown, and my mom flagged the yellow cab down, the cabbie talked my mom, "Okay ma'am I'll request the police and I will follow police car to the hospital", the cabbie hit gas pedal while following police with siren and lights on. Once arrived in Mayo ER, doctor looked at the X-Ray, doc told my mom "Your son have a serious herina in the right groin area, we can take your son to emergency surgery right away". Stays overnight.

12 years old -Surgical (6 months after herina surgery): Repaired a valve in the aorta area, stays 2 weeks in Mayo's Heart and Lung center (Mayo hospital U of Minn) [Now "University of Minnesota Medical Center of Fairview Health Services - East Bank].

23 years old -Surgical: Left herina, at Ramsey County hospital [Now 'Regions Hospital], Same Day surgery.

29 years old -Surgical: Dental operation at Hennepin County hospital, after surgery, I woke up in the recovery room, the doctor told me, "Your heart beat stopped and defibbed on your heart, the IV handler forgot to change IV bag after it's empty, and you'll have stay in the hospital for few days for heart condition observative". Damn IV Handler take full responsbilty to pay surgical and stay hospital costs.

31 years old -Non surgical: Failures to walk on after I get up from my bed and fell on the floor, a friend saw me lay on the floor, he called 911 for ambulance. Stayed at Fairview University Medical Center [Now University of Minnesota Medical Center of Fairview Health Services - East Bank] for few days, doctor suspected my legs nerves not working, my doctor says "your leg nerves not working and you'll have to stay in wheelchair for lifetime."

32 years old -Non surgical: Heart acts up funny and skipped beats, at the deaf club while I sitting in my manual wheelchair, I asked bar staff to call 911 for me, and the medic checked on blood pressure seem high.. Medic transferred me onto gurney, folded and put my manual wheelchair into ambulance and I asked medic "Please, I want my friend ride with me in the ambulance", the medic says "Okay, your friend will be in the front cab of ambulance".. Okay the medic hooked the IV on me and EKG to check my heart conditions, "Your heart might going to heart attack, which your hospital ER at?" I told medic take me FUMC on Harvard St. in U of Minn campus [Now UMMC of FHS - East Bank]. Medic call in radio contact at my hospital.. doctor told medic "Send code 3 to ER now" (Light/siren and rushing to the hospital). I stays overnight and I woke up in the ER, and nurse asked me want a breakfast, I says yes please.. doctor ordered breakfast for me.. then the hospital food service brought breakfast on tray.. "Ahh my favorite, I'm gonna eat all of them", my doctor and nurse laughs... Finally discharged from ER with my friend push my manual wheelchair on the way home..

that's all folks!

Reba said:
That is rare to have your tonsils removed twice. How did that happen? Did the first doctor forget something?

Honestly, nobody knows why I have tonsils twice. :dunno: No even doctor, too. They said that it´s rarely to have it twice...

I wish to give you answer what I know but I didn´t know how/why... :dunno:

Liebling:-))) said:
Honestly, nobody knows why I have tonsils twice. :dunno: No even doctor, too. They said that it´s rarely to have it twice...

I wish to give you answer what I know but I didn´t know how/why... :dunno:

That's strange.. never heard of it either!

:shock: MAN! So many posts here! OceanBreeze, that's incredible that you dealt with all these surgeries. Wow. Amazing. :shock:

PowerWCRulez, I love the way you tell stories about your experiences. Glad that you're still here and kicking (Don't take it in the wrong way.) :thumb:

i had three major surgeries and an oral surgvry

1998 [12yo] - right leg was unable to straighten [stiffy bent from CP] (there were no pills past then)

2000 [14yo] - oral surgery on taking out two teeth. i was very scared when the doctor put needles in my mouth, so my mouth was numb. i cried when he pulled teeth out, omg, it was very scary! I had to do the right thing because I got very tired of wearing big retainer attached from the mouth to back of my head (I had braces on teeth)

2003 [17yo] - my eyes looked apart from CP and eye exercises were no fun so I had surgery and the doctor tightened the muscles to make eyes look normal just like everyone else and I had to do it twice. My eyes were very sore and I had to wear sunglasses in school for a few months.

that is all so far

Back