Surgeries / Operations

my appendix had ruptured in August 2003. It was my first O.R. and stay at the hospital for 6 damn days due high fever. I hated to stay at the hospital. Limited channels, bathroom is small, light too bright at night, foods, and some IV drugs. I was supposed to discharged from the hosptial on the fourth day and the nurse got the wrong IV drugs and it make me sicker and was out of breathe and was going to shock....Doctors were not happy about it and fire the nurse. He said there is no charge for the next three days. Lucky I am okay. The scars on my stomach sometime itches and feel little stinging. Doctor say it normal for long times. OH BOY!!

Had three surgeries...

1. Stitches after wisdom teeth pulled out in between late 80's or early 90's.

2. Remove cyst from my neck in 1995.

3. Remove tumor from my left side rib area recently last July 5th.

I think I can top all of you..I've had 29 surgeries from the time i was 2 days old.

Now, lets see if anyone has had more than that? :lol:

Had my heart surgery due to PDA (Patent Dutcus Arterty) was only 1 week old. I was in and out of the hospital due to heart condition. Several surgeries. Have had metal in my elbow joint when I was 7 years old. (still have it now)

Oceanbreeze said:
I think I can top all of you..I've had 29 surgeries from the time i was 2 days old.

Now, lets see if anyone has had more than that? :lol:
29? Wow, and you are still kicking. ;)

Could you list details what they were? I would appreciate it if you could. :thumb:

I had 4 widsoms removed, appendectomy and sub-total thyroidectomy.

ChelEler said:
29? Wow, and you are still kicking. ;)

Could you list details what they were? I would appreciate it if you could. :thumb:

:lol: Alright.

I was born with a hole in my spine, which was closed when I was 2 days old. That was my first surgery.

At three weeks old, I had my first brain surgery.

I had 11 brain surgeries by the time i was 3.

At six years old, I had kidney surgery, hip, and heart surgery all in the same year. So, we're up to what? 15? :lol:

Anyway, at age 10, I had a pressure ulcer surgically closed, so that makes 16. At age 11, I had my tonsils and adenoids out, that's 17.

Age thirteen, I had another brain surgery, so 18. And, at age 16, I had another kidney surgery, so that's 19 major surgeries in all.

I also had about 10 minor things done that I can't list because I don't remember them.

Suffice it to say, I've lead an interesting life. :lol:

lol.... I KNEW you were going to answer high! ..I remember one time me and my friend JT who has CP were playing the medical game, and he'd had more surguries then me, but I have more doctors....
We're both very medically complicated (a term I prefer to medically fragile, as that always makes me think of people with severe heart or breathing problems)

At one month old (December 1969), I had heart surgery to repair patent ductus arteriousus (from Congenital Rubella Syndrome -- like Sequioas). I nearly didn't make it during surgery, but thankfully I did. :) They were going to do another one when I was a little bit older for another kind of heart problem (not as bad as the first one) but the heart condition solved itself (hole closed up by itself).
The heart surgery scar is from the back cut all the way around to the front!

At 3 or 4 years old, I had exploratory surgery for one of my intestines that was bleeding. They closed up the area and also removed my appendix. I have a good size scar on one side of my lower stomach.

When I was 23 years old, I had a breast lump....and found out it was benign. It was an outpatient surgery, and the lump was big (I wasn't checking myself for lumps much back then). I have a little scar around the aerola area (but you can't hardly see it) from this surgery. :)

I think that's about it! :)

deafdyke said:
lol.... I KNEW you were going to answer high! ..I remember one time me and my friend JT who has CP were playing the medical game, and he'd had more surguries then me, but I have more doctors....
We're both very medically complicated (a term I prefer to medically fragile, as that always makes me think of people with severe heart or breathing problems)

I was considered medically fragile until after the age of 10. Since my last surgrey, I've been relatively medically stable. I do tend to get infections that will lay me out for weeks at a time, but overall, my health is much better since I left childhood behind. :)

Oceanbreeze said:
...overall, my health is much better since I left childhood behind. :)
Whew, I am glad of that! I hope now you can stay out of the OR for a loooong time. :)

Reba said:
Whew, I am glad of that! I hope now you can stay out of the OR for a loooong time. :)

:lol: Yes, I *think* my surgery days are behind me...Well, mostly, anyway. There's a chance I might need another brain surgery somewhere down the line. But, for the most part, I'm looking to stay out of an OR! :giggle:

Nancy said:
At one month old (December 1969), I had heart surgery to repair patent ductus arteriousus (from Congenital Rubella Syndrome -- like Sequioas). I nearly didn't make it during surgery, but thankfully I did. :) They were going to do another one when I was a little bit older for another kind of heart problem (not as bad as the first one) but the heart condition solved itself (hole closed up by itself).
The heart surgery scar is from the back cut all the way around to the front!

I had similiar condition like yours and Sequioas. I was almost died due to complicate during surgery and at same time, the doctor gave me pencillin that I am reaction allergy to pencillin.

SherryCherish said:
whoa, Oceanbreeze, 29?!?! dang. u suffered alots.

I've been through alot, yes, but I don't think I'd call it "suffering". It's just been a fact of life, and something I've dealt with as I've grown up.

finally, I find right spell for INTESTINE BLOCKED.... i had when I was 11 yr old. *sigh* and appendix same time...

but I don't think I'd call it "suffering". It's just been a fact of life, and something I've dealt with as I've grown up.
Yes, she knows no different.....I remember when I had my foot surgeries that they were fun....I got to miss school and go to the playroom and everything! lol....I said that to my friend Diana....the LOOK on her face! lol!

Back