Stem cell treatment

Jiro, I'm just tossing out examples of things that were thought to be impossible that are now not only possible but common. I'm not saying that engineering is the same as biology; I'm saying that the qualities of thought that go into making new advances in engineering - such as perseverance, dedication, intelligence, intuition, to name a few - are also present in people working in biological research. New discoveries will be made by such people.

You're in your 20's, right? I absolutely, positively guarantee you that by the time you are 50, there will be hundreds of changes in many, many areas of life that you haven't even dreamed of right now.

Jiro, I'm just tossing out examples of things that were thought to be impossible that are now not only possible but common. I'm not saying that engineering is the same as biology; I'm saying that the qualities of thought that go into making new advances in engineering - such as perseverance, dedication, intelligence, intuition, to name a few - are also present in people working in biological research. New discoveries will be made by such people.

You're in your 20's, right? I absolutely, positively guarantee you that by the time you are 50, there will be hundreds of changes in many, many areas of life that you haven't even dreamed of right now.

Soon 30's.

and I know exactly what you're talking about but I know enough about stem cell research that it's as feasible as designer baby.

they better not use infants for rat lab.

I have issues with infants being used for experimental trials, too. Especially when no one know what the long term consequences might be. It could turn out that long term, they suffer a consequence that would be worse than being deaf.

I have issues with infants being used for experimental trials, too. Especially when no one know what the long term consequences might be. It could turn out that long term, they suffer a consequence that would be worse than being deaf.

hence - barbaric and ridiculous.

I agree. The experimental trails can be scary for small kids. I never forget that my mom had to take me to the audiology too often. At first I didn't understand why she took me there too often and didnt see clearly. But once I got older and understand why. Its for my body hearing aid. But it DID impact me when i was scared of the guy who looked into my ears. :shock: Same thing for doctor who kept poking the needle into my butt! One time, i held to the car while my parents tried to pull my legs out of the car. :giggle:

I wonder about degree and type of biological/medical discoveries and new applications if there were as many Deaf scientists, geneticists, biologists,doctors etc as there are hearings. Like focusing on actual illnesses and life threatening things.

I wonder about degree and type of biological/medical discoveries and new applications if there were as many Deaf scientists, geneticists, biologists,doctors etc as there are hearings. Like focusing on actual illnesses and life threatening things.

handful from Gally and RIT/NTID

those things are nowhere close to level of stem cell. If you wanna compare to stem cell... then try "baby designer" research. Both researches have gone nowhere nor provide any viable result despite of billions of dollars and amount of time poured into it.

I wouldn't be surprised that stem cell procedure would be completely abandoned and replaced with a completely different technique..... just like treating mental patients. Lobotomy... oh my.

I'm pretty sure our stem cell research would be considered barbaric and ridiculous by future scientists.

That's a good point. It may very well go the way of cloning.

Cloning is not going away, if that is what you're implying.

Cloning a needed technology in agriculture

"Citing an expected dramatic increase in world demand for meat and dairy in the next few decades, the United States, Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and New Zealand have signed a resolution in support of livestock cloning as one of many agricultural technologies that can help meet our growing demand for sustainable food production.

The Dr. David Edwards with the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) says these countries recognize that cloning helps farmers produce healthier animals and a more consistent food supply. Edwards says “There is global scientific agreement that foods from livestock clones and their offspring are no different than foods from livestock produced through conventional breeding and are completely safe to eat.” "

Cloning is not going away, if that is what you're implying.

Cloning a needed technology in agriculture

"Citing an expected dramatic increase in world demand for meat and dairy in the next few decades, the United States, Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and New Zealand have signed a resolution in support of livestock cloning as one of many agricultural technologies that can help meet our growing demand for sustainable food production.

The Dr. David Edwards with the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) says these countries recognize that cloning helps farmers produce healthier animals and a more consistent food supply. Edwards says “There is global scientific agreement that foods from livestock clones and their offspring are no different than foods from livestock produced through conventional breeding and are completely safe to eat.” "
that's food but we're kinda talking about cloning humans.

that's food but we're kinda talking about cloning humans.

Exactly. And even the cloning of animals has it's own set of problems. Remember all the issues that came up with Dolly the sheep? They thought she was a perfect clone at first, and then as time went on, there were problems evident.

Now cloning people is a whole nuther thang. Talk about the ethical issues involved. :shock:

It has been said before. Just because we could have the technology, doesn't mean we should use it.

We are??

Cloning humans has never been done, for ethical reasons. Cloning animals has moved beyond the experimental into the practical.

Here I was, assuming we were talking about science that is currently used for practical reasons, that was not so long ago thought to be nearly impossible.

We are??

Cloning humans has never been done, for ethical reasons. Cloning animals has moved beyond the experimental into the practical.

Here I was, assuming we were talking about science that is currently used for practical reasons, that was not so long ago thought to be nearly impossible.

Cloning didn't work that well.

We are??

I was talking about cloning as applied to humans, as the original topic was stem cells as applied to human medical treatment. As far as I know, they are not using stem cell therapy of any kind on animals.

Do you think it's ethical to use stem cell treatment of any kind for any human disease?

Sure, as long as certain guidelines are in place and the clinical trials are conducted on consenting adults. Treating a fatal disease or an autoimmune disease that severely limits function is different than treating something like deafness, though. JMO

Back