Stem cell treatment

I know one deaf guy who only has one arm. No problem communicating with him using ASL.

is he living in bowie md? if so, he's my childhood friend. :D

I think he lives there. That's cool!

yes thats him. He's a hilarious boy. After his car accident, and he was in the hospital. lots of his friends were worried if he loses his sense of humor as it's his personality. So they visited him at the hospital. First of all his words was " pay me in cashes first for visiting". THANK GOD!!!! he still has his sense of humor after he lost his arm. Of coruse the rumor was spreading out in gally what he said at the hospital and everyone got relieved. He was my busmate too.

yes thats him. He's a hilarious boy. After his car accident, and he was in the hospital. lots of his friends were worried if he loses his sense of humor as it's his personality. So they visited him at the hospital. First of all his words was " pay me in cashes first for visiting". THANK GOD!!!! he still has his sense of humor after he lost his arm. Of coruse the rumor was spreading out in gally what he said at the hospital and everyone got relieved. He was my busmate too.

I havent talked with him in years. Dont know him well but yep, we are talking about the same person. He seemed funny. I think he is more associated with my brother. I will have to ask him.

yeah, like my niece Laura. My brother shut the patio door very hard and he didn't realize that his daughter's hand was in the gap and he cut off the tip of her index finger. They tried to reattach it but it didn't take. For a very long time after that, he could not look at my niece's hand and she always hid it at dinner time.

She has done quite well even though she's missing the top of her index finger on her left hand.

Last edited:
I can understand why your brother would feel terrible about it. An accident, of course, but no father wants to be responsible for causing such a thing to his child.

Back on topic. This is the first clinical trial. The very first clinical trial. It could work out, it might not. You know, I just thought of something....everyone is harping on stem cells stem cells being THE MAGIC bullet. But is there any evidence whatsoever that it will? Virtually all conditions are the result of complex conditions. That's why there hasn't been a magic bullet for say things like cancer or blindness or what have you.
I don't get how they even got funding for this. The meme that hearing loss can be cured by stem cells dates from a guy with MS who had associcated hearing loss (and hearing loss can be a part of MS) After a treatment he noticed his hearing improve.
So people extrapolarated THAT to hearing loss in general.
I'm very highly skeptical......and you know what? I have a feeling that there will still be many many dhh kids out there for centuries to come. Mankind has cured diseases and stuff, but they have never been able to cure disabilty.

Back on topic. This is the first clinical trial. The very first clinical trial. It could work out, it might not. You know, I just thought of something....everyone is harping on stem cells stem cells being THE MAGIC bullet. But is there any evidence whatsoever that it will? Virtually all conditions are the result of complex conditions. That's why there hasn't been a magic bullet for say things like cancer or blindness or what have you.
I don't get how they even got funding for this. The meme that hearing loss can be cured by stem cells dates from a guy with MS who had associcated hearing loss (and hearing loss can be a part of MS) After a treatment he noticed his hearing improve.
So people extrapolarated THAT to hearing loss in general.
I'm very highly skeptical......and you know what? I have a feeling that there will still be many many dhh kids out there for centuries to come. Mankind has cured diseases and stuff, but they have never been able to cure disabilty.

Well, in the end, life is a fatal condition, you know?

Magic bullet? If you mean all ills go "poof," nope, that hasn't happened. But - lots and lots of life-extending and life-improving treatments - definitely yes. For cancers of all sorts, for HIV/AIDS, surgery for cataracts, new sorts of prosthetic arms and legs that allow people to manipulate objects, to walk, run, even compete in athletic events.

Some things science is able to cure, some things can be improved, some things can be remediated through technology.

So this is a start. It is quite amazing that they have gotten this far. It will be interesting to see what the results will be from this small test.

Magic bullet? If you mean all ills go "poof," nope, that hasn't happened. But - lots and lots of life-extending and life-improving treatments - definitely yes. For cancers of all sorts, for HIV/AIDS, surgery for cataracts, new sorts of prosthetic arms and legs that allow people to manipulate objects, to walk, run, even compete in athletic events.

Some things science is able to cure, some things can be improved, some things can be remediated through technology.

So this is a start. It is quite amazing that they have gotten this far. It will be interesting to see what the results will be from this small test.

Tell that to someone suffering from ALS.:cool2:

Beachgirl, I meant that it's still a huge question mark over whether or not it will help HEARING specificly . It WILL prolly help all kinds of things like Alizeheimers, and other autoimmune disorders. As a matter of fact, they already do bone marrow transplants for a lot of autoimmune conditions/diseases etc. But BMTs haven't helped or cured non autoimmune conditons. So it would be silly to assume that it would help non autoimmune caused hearing loss.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:

Beachgirl, I meant that it's still a huge question mark over whether or not it will help HEARING specificly . It WILL prolly help all kinds of things like Alizeheimers, and other autoimmune disorders. As a matter of fact, they already do bone marrow transplants for a lot of autoimmune conditions/diseases etc. But BMTs haven't helped or cured non autoimmune conditons. So it would be silly to assume that it would help non autoimmune caused hearing loss.

except that you aren't a doctor DD and the doctors obviously have a reason to believe it.

Or at least a reason to test the hypothesis.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but it's stem cell blood, not bone marrow transplants, that they're working with, right?

Of course it's a huge question mark. That's exactly why they're testing it on a small group, for starters. They're not running around saying "We have the answer!!" They're testing and experimenting to see if a possible answer might work. Maybe yes, maybe no.

That's how scientific progress is made, building on successes and failures along the way.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but it's stem cell blood, not bone marrow transplants, that they're working with, right?

Of course it's a huge question mark. That's exactly why they're testing it on a small group, for starters. They're not running around saying "We have the answer!!" They're testing and experimenting to see if a possible answer might work. Maybe yes, maybe no.

That's how scientific progress is made, building on successes and failures along the way.

it is the failures that I am very very very concerned about.

Yes, but bone marrow= stem cells. The source of the stem cells is different, but the end product is the same.

Wirelessly posted

except that you aren't a doctor DD and the doctors obviously have a reason to believe it.

The doctors are very skeptical and reserved when it comes to stem cells. They know that it is speculation and experimental. Only the ill informed public gets so excited every time they see something about stem cells mentioned. The medical research community have been researching and experimenting for decades, and the progress has been extremely slow and many, many failures have existed.

It is stem cells harvested from cord blood. Fetal stem cells are the only ones that can be transplanted to become any type of stem cell. Adult stem cells are specific to the organ they come from.

The doctors are very skeptical and reserved when it comes to stem cells. They know that it is speculation and experimental. Only the ill informed public gets so excited every time they see something about stem cells mentioned. The medical research community have been researching and experimenting for decades, and the progress has been extremely slow and many, many failures have existed.

Hmm, I should ask my Dad and my niece Amanda about this. My dad is a former MD and my niece is a biologist.

Neither are you. Do you even understand anything about this subject or are you just arguing for the sake of argument?

If a quack believes it, do you believe him too even though if he has a medical degree?

Back