Star Trek fans? Anyone?

oh! -:ty: VamPyroX!

I grew up watching the original TV series on a black & white TV set in the 60's.

I met William Shatner in person in Connecticut in the late 60's when he was in a play.

My brother is the true Trekker of the family. He used to go to the conventions, and has all the collectibles.

I don't go to many movies but since the new Star Trek movie was playing at the Imax, I saw it there. Wow, it was even more impressive on that giant screen! :P

I grew up watching the original TV series on a black & white TV set in the 60's.

I met William Shatner in person in Connecticut in the late 60's when he was in a play.

My brother is the true Trekker of the family. He used to go to the conventions, and has all the collectibles.

I don't go to many movies but since the new Star Trek movie was playing at the Imax, I saw it there. Wow, it was even more impressive on that giant screen! :P

So, you did enjoy it, eh? I thought the movie was fantastic!

So, you did enjoy it, eh? I thought the movie was fantastic!
Yes, I did enjoy it very much. :P Even the nitpicker in me overlooked some of the factual errors, heh, heh. It was fun seeing the "young" versions of the main characters. Special effects were outstanding, especially on the Imax screen.

My only complaint is the gratuitous sex scene. I think the plot could have been developed without including that. Because of that scene I wouldn't recommend the movie to younger audiences.

Yes, I did enjoy it very much. :P Even the nitpicker in me overlooked some of the factual errors, heh, heh. It was fun seeing the "young" versions of the main characters. Special effects were outstanding, especially on the Imax screen.

My only complaint is the gratuitous sex scene. I think the plot could have been developed without including that. Because of that scene I wouldn't recommend the movie to younger audiences.

are you referring to the scene involving the green girl?

are you referring to the scene involving the green girl?
Yes. Unfortuneately, that scene and probably some of the violence and language prevented the movie from getting a more general audience rating. A "G" or "PG" rating content rather than "PG-13" would make the movie more accessible to families with younger kids. I believe I read somewhere that this is the first Star Trek movie to get a PG-13. Is that correct?

Yes. Unfortuneately, that scene and probably some of the violence and language prevented the movie from getting a more general audience rating. A "G" or "PG" rating content rather than "PG-13" would make the movie more accessible to families with younger kids. I believe I read somewhere that this is the first Star Trek movie to get a PG-13. Is that correct?

Kirk is well-known for being quite the womanizer, I wasn't surprised to see such a scene included. To be honest with you, it is pretty mild to several PG-13 movies I've watched in the past. Very mild. But I can see why you wouldn't approve of it.

Star Trek: First Contact was the first Star Trek to be rated PG-13. Star Trek: Nemesis was rated PG-13 too.

Kirk is well-known for being quite the womanizer, I wasn't surprised to see such a scene included. To be honest with you, it is pretty mild to several PG-13 movies I've watched in the past. Very mild. But I can see why you wouldn't approve of it.
Mild to you but you're not a grandmother thinking about the kids. :)

Star Trek: First Contact was the first Star Trek to be rated PG-13. Star Trek: Nemesis was rated PG-13 too.
Thanks for the info. I know you are the Movie Answer Man. :)

Mild to you but you're not a grandmother thinking about the kids. :)

I didn't say it was okay or mild, however I will say that it was somewhat mild in comparison to the other PG-13 movies I've seen. The movie being unsuitable for toddlers and kids hence the rating PG-13.

I didn't say it was okay or mild, however I will say that it was somewhat mild in comparison to the other PG-13 movies I've seen. The movie being unsuitable for toddlers and kids hence the rating PG-13.
It's just too bad that the Star Trek series of movies aren't suitable for kids. The original TV series was intended for family viewing but the movies are for a different audience.

It's just too bad that the Star Trek series of movies aren't suitable for kids. The original TV series was intended for family viewing but the movies are for a different audience.

I don't know about that. They always showed Kirk womanizing on the TV show if you think about it. Not only that, it was violent at times. I didn't start to watch the Star Trek movies until I was around 12 or 13.

The movies are far more mature and not as family-friendly than the original Star Trek show was though. That's because you can do more on the big screen than you can on the small screen due to the lack of FCC. The difference is, MPAA rate a movie, but people can choose to watch it if they are old enough to.

I don't know about that. They always showed Kirk womanizing on the TV show if you think about it. Not only that, it was violent at times. I didn't start to watch the Star Trek movies until I was around 12 or 13.
I don't think you can equate TV Kirk's womanizing with movie Kirk's bed bouncing. I believe I was 15 years old when the first TV episodes were aired.

Aside from that, age 13 is probably the youngest age for watching Star Trek movies. I wouldn't expect kids younger than that at those movies.

The movies are far more mature and not as family-friendly than the original Star Trek show was though. That's because you can do more on the big screen than you can on the small screen due to the lack of FCC. The difference is, MPAA rate a movie, but people can choose to watch it if they are old enough to.
Yes, I know. It's just too bad that there is not more available that whole families can share together other than cartoons.

But that's for another thread, eh? :)

I don't think you can equate TV Kirk's womanizing with movie Kirk's bed bouncing. I believe I was 15 years old when the first TV episodes were aired.

Aside from that, age 13 is probably the youngest age for watching Star Trek movies. I wouldn't expect kids younger than that at those movies.

Yes, I know. It's just too bad that there is not more available that whole families can share together other than cartoons.

But that's for another thread, eh? :)

There is a new movie from Pixar coming out this Friday. It's called, "Up", and can be viewed in 3-D. So, it could be an interesting experience for your grandchildren.

The movie is getting raving reviews.

Up Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

There is a new movie from Pixar coming out this Friday. It's called, "Up", and can be viewed in 3-D. So, it could be an interesting experience for your grandchildren.

The movie is getting raving reviews.

Up Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes
I've seen the commercials for it on TV. It might be fun to see the 3D if they show it at Imax.

We might go to the Night at the Museum II at the Imax.

If they were to redo every episode from the original series today, the series would likely be considered a bit too graphic, disturbing, and sexist. ;)

Trek book by Deaf author

I picked up the latest Trek novel (Troublesome Minds) last night and have almost finished it. I was shocked to see the in the acknowledgements that Dave Galanter is on the staff at Gallaudet. He even has one group using sign language and telepathy to communicate. I want to go through my collection to see if I have any more of his stuff.

ITPJohn, do u mean in book he has one group using sign and another using telepathy? ASL or...? cool....maybe I'll look for him too-

ITPJohn, do u mean in book he has one group using sign and another using telepathy? ASL or...? cool....maybe I'll look for him too-

No it is not ASL. It is a manual sign language from the Isitra colony. Which is fictional. These people have not developed spoken language as they are telepaths. They have the sign system also.

oh, oh okay :ty: - maybe going to find that book so I can read it- I have actually never read any of the Star Trek books and kept thinking for some reason we were talking about a tv show<this what happens when I get up at 4 in the morning> :D

Back