SSI Is a Joke

Use SSI when you're very seriously in lack condition. That's all but don't abuse govt's system.

Some of the replys to this thread shows the prejudice against disabled people receiving ssi. "Most of them are cheating the system and dont need it" or "theyre getting way over paid and ripping off the system" "disabled people can work no matter what" blah blah blah

What about the 10% unemployed in this recession? I supposed theyre all just a bunch of lazy bums that would rather collect unemployment and work.

Some of the replys to this thread shows the prejudice against disabled people receiving ssi. "Most of them are cheating the system and dont need it" or "theyre getting way over paid and ripping off the system" "disabled people can work no matter what" blah blah blah

What about the 10% unemployed in this recession? I supposed theyre all just a bunch of lazy bums that would rather collect unemployment and work.

Doug - why the anger. Look around, it's true for most part. What we are stating is FACTS, not prejudice.

What about the 10% unemployed you ask? MOST of them can't even get on SSI/SSDI.

And a question - "They're getting way overpaid" Where did we say that?

I started getting SSI about 2 years ago. I was living in Missouri at the time and was getting $985. I am not in Florida and still get the same $985 per month. I am late deafened, but I also have neuropathy on the right side. I am totally numb from shoulder to ankle on the outer side of the body. It is totally unexplained. I fall quite frequently and have broken my chin numerous time just while in WalMart trying to push a shopping cart. I now have to use the motorized cart. Doen't help when I am picking up groceries for a family of 5. Due to my hubby working, we don't qualify for food stamps for medicaid. I will qualify for medicare in another 1-2 years due to my SSI. I'm not proud that I am getting it, but since I lost my paycheck of $500 a week, this $985 a month is better than nothing. I am unable to stand for more than 2-3 minutes at a time, and I can't sit for long periods of time. (Church is real fun!) I can't use a telephone. I stay at home taking care of my mother, mother-in-law and 2 teens. I home school my teens. My SSI covers the car payments we've had since before I lost my hearing and the vehicle and boat insurance each month. Hubby's paycheck barely covers the groceries, phone and gasoline each week. We live with mother-in-law, so the electric and water are her bills and the house is paid off.

I lost the job, due to a move from Central Missouri to Eastern Missouri.

I am sorry what you went through- looks like you are finally back on your feet and have a roof over your head. I am sure you are counting your blessing for hte SSI checks. Without it, you probably will be in the poorhouse with the druggies/nasty people area. Am I right ?

By judging from your comments and posts, I would say you are feeling burned and feeling hatred towards those that are receiveing the checks. The SSA is a government and it seems with EVERY government agency that everything MUST be vague so people won't take the most advantage of the assistance to get back on thier feet. I am sure that you are just venting. as for collecting unemployment, I have experience first hand that collecting those checks is no fun. They make you earn it at least. IF they suspect you are NOT looking, they will stop the checks fast. SSI/SSD only stops if earned too much and/or didnt tell them about your earnings. Many times honesty is the best policy and just take it with a grian of salt and get it over with so you can go back and get the FULL amount you may be entitled to.

I am sorry what you went through- looks like you are finally back on your feet and have a roof over your head. I am sure you are counting your blessing for hte SSI checks. Without it, you probably will be in the poorhouse with the druggies/nasty people area. Am I right ?

Too true. I am thankful for what I am getting. While in MO we were in danger of losing house and all. We had a need to move back to Florida and it seemed like an answer to a prayer. While it is not easy having a parent living with you (my mother has lived with us for our whole marriage), we are now living with my mother-in-law. It ain't easy. M-I-L provides the roof, electric and water. We are barely making it, but at least we will always have the roof. M-I-L is leaving house and all monies to either my kids or my hubby. (She never approved of our marriage).

We ere living out in the country and in a very safe area, but now we are almost in a downtown area of West Palm Beach, FL. Not exactly in a rural setting anymore.

I agree with Doug5...if someone has disabiling conditions especially with chronic pain or terminal illness and really cant work at all, why should they be punished by being forced into extreme poverty?

I agree with Doug5...if someone has disabiling conditions especially with chronic pain or terminal illness and really cant work at all, why should they be punished by being forced into extreme poverty?

but it isn't extreme poverty. it's just enough to live with modesty. at least this person will have a roof on his/her head, food paid for, utility bills paid for.

but it isn't extreme poverty. it's just enough to live with modesty. at least this person will have a roof on his/her head, food paid for, utility bills paid for.

I disagree...nobody can afford a place let alone food, utilities, and other expenses on SSI alone here in MD. Unless they want to live in a very rough and crime-ridden neighborhood.

I disagree...nobody can afford a place let alone food, utilities, and other expenses on SSI alone here in MD. Unless they want to live in a very rough and crime-ridden neighborhood.

then move to somewhere affordable. beggar can't be a chooser. he should be glad enough to have some money in his pocket for free.

then move to somewhere affordable. beggar can't be a chooser. he should be glad enough to have some money in his pocket for free.

Sometimes, it is not possible. There are children involved and sometimes there are situations where they cant move due to court orders and etc. I know so many people who would love to move to a cheaper state but are stuck here in Maryland due to custody issues or other reasons. When children are in the picture, things become much more complicated.

Sometimes, it is not possible. There are children involved and sometimes there are situations where they cant move due to court orders and etc. I know so many people who would love to move to a cheaper state but are stuck here in Maryland due to custody issues or other reasons. When children are in the picture, things become much more complicated.

I'm sure there are system and charity programs to help them out. I didn't know this country is supposed to be Mother Teresa.

I'm sure there are system and charity programs to help them out. I didn't know this country is supposed to be Mother Teresa.

I am seriously refraining from listing all the benefits you can get while being on SSI.

I'll say this - You can live ANYWHERE in the USA, Lake Tahoe, DT NYC, etc just fine on SSI.

Jiro - PM sent, lmk if you think it's still tough out there on SSI :)

do it!

2cekqow.jpg

Agreed with you, second here.

Jiro, you are naive, just because you are spoilt with a more affluent background and education, doesnt mean you actually 'knows' , being in a situation where it is impossible to move, come to think of it, it would cost ALOT just to dump where you are and move out to somewhere safer, but there comes a catch-22 situation as a lack of high-end professional qualifications and experience is going to seriously knock you right back to square one, and all this 'regulations' unique to each places (states, city, town etc) is designed not to 'offer' use of public utility or such but to actually reproduce inequality, thus re-create that poverty-like existence.
It will be a waste of time try explaining the rest to someone like you because it will be like talking to someone who has Nooooo freakin Idea about economic Hardship.

Back