Spelling words the way they sound (Oral habits)

Yes, you are wrong.

"Most Certainly" is the superlative form of certainly.

Oxymoron is when you have two words which contradict each other.

I'm not sure how this subject relates to the topic of the thread.

I can say on this one... I know I'm probably one of your 'suspects' b/c w/my southern accent I would most likely pronounce it 'deaf-n-ate-ley' so when I'm typing I have to REALLLLLLLLY concentrate to remember it's spelled different then how I 'hear' it... (because I KNOW I spell it incorrectly I will even go around that word so I don't have to use it -- by using other phrases in it's place~ most commonly-- I'll use 'most certainly')

And like one poster said sometimes she spells things wrong b/c she doesn't use spell check here-- I dont either and I'm usually typing on the fly, but if I notice it later I'll go back and fix it... however definitely is a problem for me b/c on autopilot I'll spell it as I hear it~~ I'm sorry :( :( :cry:

Don't worry, I'm not out to get you. The whole reason why I had created this topic was because I kept noticing it as a recurring pattern usually within the hearing/hoh/latedeaf/oral schooled and found my curiosity piqued to seek the answer in it. I could care less myself if others spelled incorrectly as long as I knew and understood what they were saying without having to think twice what they were typing, but I can't speak for das spelling nazi represents.

So you really think your generalized statement is accurate? That all hearing people are poor spellers? I appreciate that you've had your own experiences, but to apply those experiences to an entire group of people seems grossly unfair.

By the way, I appreciate your ability to discuss our disagreements in a civil manner. Thank you. :)

Hyperbole

Oxymoron is when you have two words which contradict each other.

That's why I used the word "oxymoron."

The word "most" is a value of degree while the word "certainly" is definitive.

Nevermind. I can't seem to express myself today no matter how hard I try. I give up.

Just thought I'd ask for clarification. Sorry if it was off-topic deafbajagal.

For a good article on Sweden, look at the journal Sign Language Studies, v7 p169-95 Summer 1991.

I think the deaf people tend to focus more on reading because for most of them, that's the only way to learn English. However, hearing people take for granted that they can hear English, and don't focus as much on reading. So I wouldn't be surprised if deaf people are better spellers than the hearing. Also knowing the word phonetically tends to confuse your spelling. Examples: hors d'oeuvres or rendezvous (I know they are french, but it was all I can think of at the moment.)

Sometimes I wonder if these mistakes would still apply for Spanish or another language where most, if not all, of the words are actually spelled what they sound like. We all know English sucks! :)

Good observation and point. Never thought of it that way. :hmm:

Working with names is the hardest part as an interpreter, especially in a classroom, the students names are usually spelled different then when I hear it phonetically, like Sammi not Sammy or Cimberly not Kimberly. It can be a pain.
I agree.

Using the wrong spelling for a proper name that uses a non-traditional phonetic rendition is a big problem for terps. It doesn't help when the hearing instructor is stumbling over the pronunciation of creative names.

In that situation, the hearing terp is not misspelling due to dependence of phonetics. The terp is misspelling due to creativity of non-traditional names. Even traditional names can be spelled wrong. "Cathy" and "Kathy" are both traditional spellings that are phonetically correct but unless you know that person, it's a guessing game.

If you don't know the sex of a person being called upon, how would you know whether to spell "Aaron" or "Erin?"

If you don't know the sex of a person being called upon, how would you know whether to spell "Aaron" or "Erin?"
Do they sound the same? I mean the names Aaron and Erin. I always thought they were pronounced differently.

Do they sound the same? I mean the names Aaron and Erin. I always thought they were pronounced differently.

They can be pronounced the same...

I think things like that-- are regional~ just how some regions pronounce the word aunt as 'ahnt' and some 'ant'... and from what I've learned dealing w/the public in many different places is names in particular vary~~ just my personal observation...

Depending on who's speaking, they can sound exactly the same. Like "air'-un."

They can be pronounced the same...

I think things like that-- are regional~ just how some regions pronounce the word aunt as 'ahnt' and some 'ant'... and from what I've learned dealing w/the public in many different places is names in particular vary~~ just my personal observation...
Yes, some are regional pronunciations.

In South Carolina we have Horry (Or-ee) County, Hassell (Hazel) Avenue, Mazcyk (Ma-zeek) neighborhood, Gaillard (Gil-yard) Auditorium, the Cooper (Cup-uh) River Bridge, and the town of Huger (You-gee).

You're not wrong, there are many different examples in the English language that I tend to notice about this phenomenon.

Like for example, the names of people can be put here to light.

I have a deaf friend by the name of Arni. (Names altered to protect the innocent).

When he is with the hearing, he tends to notice that the hearing write his name as Arnie. He doesn't really blame them, but notices this pattern.

Hearing have gone to write his name as Arnie, Arny, but rarely Arni the way it is written. Why? Well, from a phonetically based perspective, you can see that they all sound the same each way it is pronounced. Even if you write it incorrectly, chances are you probably can legally pass the speech form in pronunciation.

Perhaps certain people would've met more Arnies or Arnys more than Arni's, but this goes in light to show that they most likely had written it the way they are accustomed to - how they pronounce it, or from what I was hypothesizing, how they were raised. This also goes in question of what I was asking about the definitely-definately part. Like, Oral vs ASL environment raised.

Whatever the real answer or concept is, we don't have it until someone takes the resources and the reins to actually go out there and find all these people to question and conduct research on them. It would appear the best place to do this is probably at a school or college.

Another word that popped to me (thanks, Botti) is the word "surprised". I have also noticed that the hearing tend to write it the way it is phonetically said as well, in the form of "suprised". Like I've said.. this is not a orthographical error due to the fact that it passes when said in speech.

I apologize for not getting back on this any sooner. It's been a crazy time for me lately.

Anyway, I think I'm getting the grasp of this with various words that can even be passed with either in a spoken or written form.

So, in overall - It's like saying a word that can be spelled either in a spoken or written form still can be passed even though we know it is spelled wrong for it's sort, depending on how the sentences are structured or how the words are implied in that sentence?

Perhaps it's not the phonetical issue or the orthographical issue which seems to be in pertain of this but as to how both different groups are in the "play" for what it says otherwise?

I apologize for not getting back on this any sooner. It's been a crazy time for me lately.

Anyway, I think I'm getting the grasp of this with various words that can even be passed with either in a spoken or written form.

So, in overall - It's like saying a word that can be spelled either in a spoken or written form still can be passed even though we know it is spelled wrong for it's sort, depending on how the sentences are structured or how the words are implied in that sentence?

Perhaps it's not the phonetical issue or the orthographical issue which seems to be in pertain of this but as to how both different groups are in the "play" for what it says otherwise?

That most certainly has an influence, Jolie.

Back