Sound and Fury

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they say implants don't make deaf hearing.

They don't. Only terribly uninformed persons unable to think in any dimension except dicotomous thinks that implants make a deaf person hearing. Count yourself in that category.

That's too bad. No doubt the influence of her overbearing grandmother who apparently saw deafness as a curse to be eradicated. :(

I remember seeing a follow-up interview with the parents who say they wish they had never taken part in the documentary because it did a lot to tear their family apart.

What I find even more sad is some believe you can have every single trait of a hearing person, including hearing, and still be deaf.

I actually find it to be comical how some on here think hearing is deafness.

You are still deaf with the CI implanted. You actually lose what natural hearing you may have left after the surgery is complete. The processor detached you hear nothing. But then again who am I to say that I am not a doctor right?

Oh, gee. I really can't get involved in a debate with an unarmed opponent. As much as I would like to.:P

Oh, gee. I really can't get involved in a debate with an unarmed opponent. As much as I would like to.:P

You already lost the debate, not that I was trying to debate you, with the slippery slope.

Jpcw.. Hearing Aide's like CI's give a sense of hearing.

You already lost the debate, not that I was trying to debate you, with the slippery slope.

Damn you. Now my head is resounding with "Soaping skids of sleds for slippery slopes." :mad:

Jpcw.. Hearing Aide's like CI's give a sense of hearing.

"A cochlear implant is very different from a hearing aid. Hearing aids amplify sounds so they may be detected by damaged ears. Cochlear implants bypass damaged portions of the ear and directly stimulate the auditory nerve. Signals generated by the implant are sent by way of the auditory nerve to the brain, which recognizes the signals as sound."

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/coch.asp

Im well aware of how they differ. But neither restores hearing.

Restore/restoring/restored - not in the sense that it cures hearing loss. It doesn't. But it certainly does open up access to sound. It does restore some sense of sound, but not completely and certainly not to the level of a hearing person.

Post #36. The term "simple minded" jumps to the forefront of my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back