Sound and Fury

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiohead

Reaction score
Has anybody seen the movie Sound and Fury? It's about a family who is getting an implant for their child and another family, the Artinians, who are Deaf culture and dead set against thier own little girl getting an implant, even though she wants one.

Well, I saw on Good Morning America that the Artinians now have cochlear implant. The mother, Nita, and the little girl, Heather, both have gotten implants. They showed Heather using the phone.

What do ya'll make of this? I was surprised as hell they changed their minds.

Yeah, I have seen this movie, and have referred my students to that movie to learn about the controversity on CIs. I think that it was very good movie because it showed how the hearing family did no research and the other deaf family did extensive research to explore their options. I really wish that alllll of the families who is faced with the decision to have CIs or not would explore all of their options.

I did not know that Nita and Melissa got implanted, but I say that if they wanted it, then more power to them. Nita allowed the daughter to grow up more and see more of the deaf world, and I guess maybe Melissa decided for herself that she wanted the CIs. So they went ahead with it. I would not be prejudiced against them for changing their mind about it. As long as they don't preach to me about it.

I have seen it. Damn, I forgot to order the DVD of it.

As I feel, It is up to the individual if they want it. Me, if something happened to me (like what happpend to Radio guy Rush Limbaugh) where I lost my hearing, I wouldn't want it.

I was just wondering if you could tell me if I could buy a dvd on that movie, Sound and Fury? I really love that movie, but since my VHS won't work, I was just wondering if it was possible to get it at the stores, but in a DVD version?
Thanks.

Originally posted by kuifje75
Yeah, I have seen this movie, and have referred my students to that movie to learn about the controversity on CIs. I think that it was very good movie because it showed how the hearing family did no research and the other deaf family did extensive research to explore their options. I really wish that alllll of the families who is faced with the decision to have CIs or not would explore all of their options.

I did not know that Nita and Melissa got implanted, but I say that if they wanted it, then more power to them. Nita allowed the daughter to grow up more and see more of the deaf world, and I guess maybe Melissa decided for herself that she wanted the CIs. So they went ahead with it. I would not be prejudiced against them for changing their mind about it. As long as they don't preach to me about it.

It is not Melissa... it is Heather :) the daughter of Nita...

I have posted video of that segment from GMA on DOL but no oc or cc but I plan to cuz I have taped it..

I do know that Nita controlled Heather to say no in the end.. but as Nita watched the technology improve and has seen the feeling around.. plus the little Peter, they were impressed by him.. so Heather got one then Nita followed..

The family moved back to Long Island after moving to Maryland to live in Deaf Community... hmm..

Of course Nita's husband Peter has said that he will not get one for himself at all ever.. that's understandable..

later on in GMA, it said that Heather's grandmother was honored by a Deaf organization! (it does not say which)

Originally posted by Amby
I was just wondering if you could tell me if I could buy a dvd on that movie, Sound and Fury? I really love that movie, but since my VHS won't work, I was just wondering if it was possible to get it at the stores, but in a DVD version?
Thanks.

Yes, you can get one in DVD anywhere like Amazon or even at Sound and Fury website at http://www.pbs.org/wnet/soundandfury/film/dates.html

Originally posted by radiohead
Has anybody seen the movie Sound and Fury? It's about a family who is getting an implant for their child and another family, the Artinians, who are Deaf culture and dead set against thier own little girl getting an implant, even though she wants one.

Well, I saw on Good Morning America that the Artinians now have cochlear implant. The mother, Nita, and the little girl, Heather, both have gotten implants. They showed Heather using the phone.

What do ya'll make of this? I was surprised as hell they changed their minds.

I wasn't surprised... I believe I am aware that the sister of Peter and Chris is deaf also and has implant so in those family there is now 4 wearing CI!

did u know that DVD shows more than they did show the sound and fury on the tv?

They have done post interviews with that girl who got implanted. She is no longer Deaf! She goes to a hearing school, interacts with hearing people, she does not sign anymore, goes to no deaf events, is always talking with people around her, etc.

She goes to a hearing school, interacts with hearing people, she does not sign anymore, goes to no deaf events, is always talking with people around her, etc.

And they say implants don't make deaf hearing.

I wasn't surprised... I believe I am aware that the sister of Peter and Chris is deaf also and has implant so in those family there is now 4 wearing CI!

chris is hearing. peter is deaf. Peter does not get a CI at all.

They have done post interviews with that girl who got implanted. She is no longer Deaf! She goes to a hearing school, interacts with hearing people, she does not sign anymore, goes to no deaf events, is always talking with people around her, etc.
That's too bad. No doubt the influence of her overbearing grandmother who apparently saw deafness as a curse to be eradicated. :(

I remember seeing a follow-up interview with the parents who say they wish they had never taken part in the documentary because it did a lot to tear their family apart.

:laugh2: You must be serious. This is the second time in the last few minutes where I've seen you post this nonsense.

Stop posting, learn a little, then come back. You'll do yourself a huge favor.

She did not sign in any post interviews.

What's the point of CI if she not allowed to speak to hearing people?

I have to say, As a person whose first and primary language was ASL with limited speech therapy and was implanted late (like ten years old or so), she is pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back