Son's CI surgery

Fragmenter

Reaction score
Hello, I've been enjoying an internet-free life for a week now. It's restored energy into me; y'all should try it!

Our son's cochlear implant surgery last Friday was a success without complications. He had a minor reaction to the anesthesia wearing off after the surgery. He was cooperative with the nurses all night and all morning. We're pleased with how everything has worked out so far.

I had concerns about his sense of balance in the first couple of days at home but the last few days it has improved. My wife talked with the doctor over the phone about it and he said not to worry too much about it and just to keep an eye on it. Sometimes I can be a neurotic worry fart :dunno:

His activation date is sometimes in early September (we don't have it written it in stone) so we have plenty of time on our hands until then. All in all, our son is still the same kid we knew before the surgery!

Last but not least, much thanks to your thoughts and prayers! I will let you all know what's new with the kid whenever it happens.

Fragmenter said:
Hello, I've been enjoying an internet-free life for a week now. It's restored energy into me; y'all should try it!

Our son's cochlear implant surgery last Friday was a success without complications. He had a minor reaction to the anesthesia wearing off after the surgery. He was cooperative with the nurses all night and all morning. We're pleased with how everything has worked out so far.

I had concerns about his sense of balance in the first couple of days at home but the last few days it has improved. My wife talked with the doctor over the phone about it and he said not to worry too much about it and just to keep an eye on it. Sometimes I can be a neurotic worry fart :dunno:

His activation date is sometimes in early September (we don't have it written it in stone) so we have plenty of time on our hands until then. All in all, our son is still the same kid we knew before the surgery!

Last but not least, much thanks to your thoughts and prayers! I will let you all know what's new with the kid whenever it happens.
That is all good to hear my friend. I wish you and your family all the best and I hope that all goes well with the activation..

Fragmenter said:

I am glad that your son came out well.....
SxyPorkie

Glad everything went well without any significant complications. Also it's very normal to feel off balance for a while. I felt a bit off balance right until activation when it suddenly disappeared. I could still do my normal stuff but just had to be careful with anything requiring fast head movements or fine balance.

R2D2 said:
Also it's very normal to feel off balance for a while. I felt a bit off balance right until activation when it suddenly disappeared. I could still do my normal stuff but just had to be careful with anything requiring fast head movements or fine balance.

Thank you, again, everybody!

Artoo Detoo, if I read you correctly, you no longer have balance issues?

The wife and I are planning on re-entering our kids in gymnastics... we think it could at least help our son's muscle memory. I also am looking into H.I.T. (high intensity training) to see if they can train our son in the agility department. Really, I'm secrectly plotting my son's world domination ;)

I had a few vertigo attacks (not sure if it's CI-related or not since it happened a YEAR after the CI surgery - never had vertigo prior to CI) and it sucked. I also lost some balance.

But now I don't have any vesibular problems.

Fragmenter,

Glad to hear that things are going well so far. Activiation day is exiciting day and somewhat emotional too.. :thumb:

Congratulations... Is that the right word? Seems like a strange thing to be congratulating, but I suppose it fits. :) I hope you son enjoys his new, sound-filled world come activation time. :)

Fragmenter said:
Thank you, again, everybody!

Artoo Detoo, if I read you correctly, you no longer have balance issues?

The wife and I are planning on re-entering our kids in gymnastics... we think it could at least help our son's muscle memory. I also am looking into H.I.T. (high intensity training) to see if they can train our son in the agility department. Really, I'm secrectly plotting my son's world domination ;)

Yep, I no longer have balance issues - they cleared up as soon as I was activated and I've had no problems since then. I do yoga in my spare time and some of the exercises involve balancing and I have issue with doing them.

Hmm maybe I should enroll my daughter in gymnastics. She is not the most agile child but she more than makes up for that in intelligence fortunately :)

PTL!!! glad that your son success the surgery!! I bet its BIG relief.. next step.... exciting moment to active the CI device.. just still keep on praying that it works.. I am sure, it will ! :)

Also, I just want applaud you and your wife for such bravery and patiences with those anti-CIers... keep on walking and keep seeking the bright side!

give your son my :hug: .....

First off, congratulations on the outcome of the surgery. The five hours my daughter was in surgery was the longest five hours of my life.
The activation is a truly incredible moment that you will remember for the rest of your life. The first time you child hears you voice, and you can tell they hear it, it is a very emotional time. The first thing out of my mouth when she could hear my voice was "I love you". I realize that she does not need to hear me say it, for her to know it. But, That was the first time I knew she could hear it. It was a very powerful moment. If you can remember, bring a camera and take lots of pictures. Or even bring a video camera.

Cherish the moments.

Glad it went so well! I too, experienced mild vertigo/dizzy spells for the first couple weeks, then they went away and never returned.

Can't wait to hear about his activation!!!

That's wonderful new to hear that things goes well without complication for you all.

Keep it update

Hi Fragmenter,

Good to "hear" you again here. And I had the internet free time as well. Like you say.. worth it....

Glad to hear your son is OK. Funny that even though that's what everyone expected, we're still happy for the outcome. A bit like expecting a baby....

Anyway.. I bet the next goal is the first activation...

Glad to hear everything went smooth without any hitch.. :) hope he will recover from this and now looking forward to activiation next month which would be very special time.. I cant wait to hear how it goes .. :)

Glad he's doing so well. I'm sure he's excited waiting for the activation. :) Hope you have everything set up with the school ST and stuff. (I really hate dealing with Sped stuff, sigh) Can't wait to hear more about his journey into sound.

So when is you evaluation?

Lillys dad said:
First off, congratulations on the outcome of the surgery. The five hours my daughter was in surgery was the longest five hours of my life.
The activation is a truly incredible moment that you will remember for the rest of your life. The first time you child hears you voice, and you can tell they hear it, it is a very emotional time. The first thing out of my mouth when she could hear my voice was "I love you". I realize that she does not need to hear me say it, for her to know it. But, That was the first time I knew she could hear it. It was a very powerful moment. If you can remember, bring a camera and take lots of pictures. Or even bring a video camera.

Cherish the moments.

I am getting emotional just thinking about what you are saying!! I can't wait for the day my daughter can hear me tell her I love her!

Fragmenter - I am so happy your son is doing good. The summer always goes fast, so activation day will be here before you know it.

balance update

I enjoyed everybody's input and congratulations. The wife and I feel blessed that you all know about our son and what he is going through.

I'll go ahead and update yall on the kid's sense of balance. I finally found his loss of balance a positive thing because I thought it'd help and force his body to compenstate and develop a strong connection between the body and the mind. Well, I thought too early because I had a hard time telling if his balance was still off after coming home from work.

So I forced him to stand on one leg then I busted him. He knew I was worried about his balancing so he tried to hide it from me. Damn, I want to cry but he's so wise for his age. Kids... they make you discover who you really are. For those who haven't become parents -- just wait til you get one of your own :)

Anyway, his sense of balance is coming back but I can't tell if its his determination or just his body getting used to the change :dunno: Maybe it's his determination because when my mother in law came to pick the kids up, he was so excited that he ran straight out of the door and jumped down two steps... all concrete... and landed on all four limbs and ran to her truck.

I wanted to chide him for doing that but then I realized that I would have laughed if he did that before getting his cochlear implant. I have to remind myself to not handle him with white gloves. I don't want him to change at all. I want him to be himself on his own terms.

:) I think I'm gonna get more white hairs from now on but we'll be fine. We will stick to our word and let him determine his destiny.

Back