Son's CI surgery

Fragmenter said:
So I forced him to stand on one leg then I busted him. He knew I was worried about his balancing so he tried to hide it from me. Damn, I want to cry but he's so wise for his age.

That is strangest thing I ever read - "forced him....and busted him" I think that you crossed the line. It is all about your attitude problem especially in the front of your child which is terrible thing to do.

webexplorer said:
That is strangest thing I ever read - "forced him....and busted him" I think that you crossed the line. It is all about your attitude problem especially in the front of your child which is terrible thing to do.

Then you've exposed yourself for taking my account out of context.

Please explore yourself instead of the world wide web before making further comments, fool.

*edit* To make matters simple, I caught him red-handed. Clear as mud for ya, bub?

Last edited:
Sorry I misunderstood the previous posts and have deleted it! Sorry.

Excellent point Lillysdad! Be positive about the CI....make it into something cool and fun....Don't demonize deafness, but at the same time.......
Frag, I can't remmy if he's in an oral school? Most oral sucesses are the result of the really really gifted teachers there. Just remember, the CI is a wildcard for which everything is possible, but nothing is promised.

Fragmenter said:
Then you've exposed yourself for taking my account out of context.

Please explore yourself instead of the world wide web before making further comments, fool.

*edit* To make matters simple, I caught him red-handed. Clear as mud for ya, bub?

I wasn't sure if you were kidding us about that, but I was thinking of other posts - not yours. It is important that his ears are healing and adjust to "accept" the CI in his body for a couple of weeks. Activitation? - are you talking about to make him to go to a gym after the surgery right away?

You said that you are getting gray hairs. Gee, then you got them already. You are not alone... Perhaps, dye hairs that might help to cover your gray hair secretly. I have to feed my sister's horses, and cannot believe how much work for me to clean up their manures. I cleaned it up in the stable, and there was another fresh manure that I just cleaned up. Oh, brother!

webexplorer said:

There is a misunderstanding here I am sure. Fragmenter probably meant that he made his son stand on one leg to test his balance and in "busting" him Frag caught his son red-handed in trying to cover up his imbalance. We had VPd previously and Frag mentioned that his son knew his dad was very concerned over his balance issues after surgery so he'd been compensating his balance so his dad (Frag) won't worry so much. :dunno:

So beets, everyone! (one of my kids' deaf friends used to say "beets" when he meant to say "peace" -- my hearing daughter told me of this mispronounction and I have used "beets" ever since -- guess it's a private joke_

Fragmenter said:
I enjoyed everybody's input and congratulations. The wife and I feel blessed that you all know about our son and what he is going through.

I'll go ahead and update yall on the kid's sense of balance. I finally found his loss of balance a positive thing because I thought it'd help and force his body to compenstate and develop a strong connection between the body and the mind. Well, I thought too early because I had a hard time telling if his balance was still off after coming home from work.

So I forced him to stand on one leg then I busted him. He knew I was worried about his balancing so he tried to hide it from me. Damn, I want to cry but he's so wise for his age. Kids... they make you discover who you really are. For those who haven't become parents -- just wait til you get one of your own :)

Anyway, his sense of balance is coming back but I can't tell if its his determination or just his body getting used to the change :dunno: Maybe it's his determination because when my mother in law came to pick the kids up, he was so excited that he ran straight out of the door and jumped down two steps... all concrete... and landed on all four limbs and ran to her truck.

I wanted to chide him for doing that but then I realized that I would have laughed if he did that before getting his cochlear implant. I have to remind myself to not handle him with white gloves. I don't want him to change at all. I want him to be himself on his own terms.

:) I think I'm gonna get more white hairs from now on but we'll be fine. We will stick to our word and let him determine his destiny.

Most deafies without CI have poor balance... Your son will be fine... dont worry.....
SxyPorkie

greema said:
There is a misunderstanding here I am sure. Fragmenter probably meant that he made his son stand on one leg to test his balance and in "busting" him Frag caught his son red-handed in trying to cover up his imbalance. We had VPd previously and Frag mentioned that his son knew his dad was very concerned over his balance issues after surgery so he'd been compensating his balance so his dad (Frag) won't worry so much. :dunno:

So beets, everyone! (one of my kids' deaf friends used to say "beets" when he meant to say "peace" -- my hearing daughter told me of this mispronounction and I have used "beets" ever since -- guess it's a private joke_

O.K.

About the beets, gee that we have to be careful what to say a word that make a person thinks. Perhaps, you said pee ...oops ...only kidding. :ugh2: So, far nothing happen to me yet... Who knows. I think most deafies understand the vowel sounds (a, e, i, o, u) except few consonant sounds.

webexplorer said:

Poor sense of Balances are very COMMON in deafies... I would not worry about Fragmenter s son s balance... HE WILL BE FINE.... once he gets hang of it and re-learn to balance himself...
SxyPorkie

DD, yes our kids are at an oral school and there are 5 (I think) other kids who has improved their speech and hearing after receiving their C.I. We know not to have high expectations.

Yes, SxyPorkie is correct! All deaf people actually has lousy sense of balance but maybe my son dependency on his cochela threw him off when it wasn't "working" the same way before the surgery :) Either way, he's getting better every hour to be honest so I don't know why I raised such a ruckus over it LOL

SxyPorkie said:
Poor sense of Balances are very COMMON in deafies... I would not worry about Fragmenter s son s balance... HE WILL BE FINE.... once he gets hang of it and re-learn to balance himself...
SxyPorkie

Much agreed on that! I have poor sense of balance myself and I know a lot of deaf people with that problem.

greema said:
Much agreed on that! I have poor sense of balance myself and I know a lot of deaf people with that problem.

Poor sense of balances in deafies are very common.... for sure there is nothing to worry about... Your grandson will be fine once he gets hang of it..It is no big deal.,

I understand the word BUSTED mean... wow someone misunderstood its meaning... I live in both world hearing and deaf...

SxyPorkie

Fragmenter said:
Yes, SxyPorkie is correct! All deaf people actually has lousy sense of balance but maybe my son dependency on his cochela threw him off when it wasn't "working" the same way before the surgery :) Either way, he's getting better every hour to be honest so I don't know why I raised such a ruckus over it LOL

Where you get the information that ALL deaf people have lousy balance?
So, some hearing people have a balance problem, too.

Are you talking about some CI deafies have a balance problem after the surgery for a little while???

Fragmenter said:
Maybe it's his determination because when my mother in law came to pick the kids up, he was so excited that he ran straight out of the door and jumped down two steps... all concrete... and landed on all four limbs and ran to her truck.

I wanted to chide him for doing that but then I realized that I would have laughed if he did that before getting his cochlear implant. I have to remind myself to not handle him with white gloves. I don't want him to change at all. I want him to be himself on his own terms.
HAd to laugh at this. because I pictured a year ahead and saw your son land, see his CI fall off, and then saw him just automatically reaching for it, putting it on again, and running on to his grandma!!
It's amazing how that has become second nature to Lotte. She has to find it behind her shouldres (with the BTE's on her back) and get it around her arm in order to get it by her ear... With the added costs of the wires getting stretched and twisted and needing replacement, but hey, what the heck. Appearently, she want's to hear.

webexplorer said:
Where you get the information that ALL deaf people have lousy balance?
So, some hearing people have a balance problem, too.

Are you talking about some CI deafies have a balance problem after the surgery for a little while???

Er...I'm a little confused on this as well. I have an excellent sense of balance and still do to this day (in my forth decade). However, my ability to do gymnastic type of things has diminished considerably due to getting disoriented (somewhat dizzy) when doing spinning motions which I understand is typically of most people (regardless of deafness or not...simply an aging process) due to accumulated "junk" in the inner ear balance mechanism.

When I had my CI, my only thing I had to worry about at during the first five days was to not move in a spin motion too fast. After that, I was back to my good 'ole self.

Cloggy, I had the same mental picture. Jumping off the stairs, coil falling off at landing, kid keeps running, not skipping a beat, replacing coil and running to grandma. Sorry so abbreviated, I'm at work and gotta get to roll call.

Fragmenter said:
Either way, he's getting better every hour to be honest so I don't know why I raised such a ruckus over it LOL

Er, maybe because you're his Dad, and you worry about him? :)

I'm glad he's done well since his surgery. :thumb:

We know not to have high expectations.
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! It'll hopefully improve his speech and hearing skills....I do know that even today, quite a few kids still NEED TC. Probaly won't give him oral skills on a par with hearing kids......I know that tends to be kind of rare, but it's still good to know that he might aquirre some speech skills.
Quick word of advice.....don't go into overkill when he's activated. Keep therapy to reasonable amounts but don't think "oh if some therapy is good, therapy 24/7 will be even better" Therapy is good, but kids do need some time to just be kids. Also, do you let him Sign at home? I know that the experts out there reccomend speech only b/c it's "better", but that's only based on a "Sign is a crutch" mentality. Try to find a really good balance....

deafdyke said:
Quick word of advice.....don't go into overkill when he's activated. Keep therapy to reasonable amounts but don't think "oh if some therapy is good, therapy 24/7 will be even better" Therapy is good, but kids do need some time to just be kids. Also, do you let him Sign at home? I know that the experts out there reccomend speech only b/c it's "better", but that's only based on a "Sign is a crutch" mentality. Try to find a really good balance....
Regarding therapy; I feel that the best therapy is actually life. The official therapy is needed as guidance, but the learning process is in communication with others.
That's why sign is not recommended. The learning proces is so much quicker with specch only.
Have to add that we used sign through the whole proces with Lotte since communication comes first. The amount of sign just got less.

Back