son ssi taken away

Off topic...

Jillio, regarding your client with the refractory psychotic disorder, that is so sad. I hope the case is won on appeal. It sounds like it should be, but you're right. It can take a long time. In my friends case, it took about a year before she won the appeal.

We are still in appeal. But I have put in hours and hours on testing and psych evals and prognosis that should get it through this time. And, since he can't work and has no Medicare or Medicaid as a result of the hangup with SS, I have done the majority of it pro-bono. But, hey, its the principle. The attorney is working on contingency. I figure once we win the case, I'll have a dedicated client, though.

Do it, Kristina. Get a lawyer. It would be worth it.

Good luck!

yes appeal appeal appeal

Kristina, keep trying again, just get some proof from dr to show SSA and DDS what your daughter have. Don't give up.

An updated audiogram should be enough, but she should talk to an attorney and see what else may be needed.

Well - daughter issues are hearing so much as they are speech related and learning related. I will check into it. Her speech is at a 30% understandability and with her CAPD, ADD, dyscalculia and mild hearing loss, we are unable to get past 3rd to 5th grade level school work.

I will try and see what I can do. MIL has a friend who went through the same thing for her daughter with the same type of problems and had to go the route of an attorney. We will get his name and go from there.

I would too. I think I would get a lawyer to appeal. It should be very easy to prove that she functions at a third to fifth grade level and is going to need the help.

But make sure the lawyer understand deaf and hoh people rights. My sister got a lawyer for our mother and the lawyer knew nothing about elder abuse and my mother lost her case! I gave the lawyer info on elder abuse and he did not know how to use it!!

True but how old is the audiogram ? If she have done it last year then that's fine. Agree to appeal again and try to talk w attorney but. First try with the appeal if I read her right. Ill re rea itwhen I get home

I agree. And also, wasn't he in prison? A psych eval might help, too. Especially if he was in an institution that kept the deaf isolated.

Before I became 18, I got denied by SSI. I dont remeber what reason. I am full deaf and I wear CI but I can't speak nor understand English well. I'm planning to get SSI myself this summer because I am 18 already.

Because I think she can get disability off her parent's past work and the money will be more and a better benefit than if they wait until she is an adult who has never worked.

True that. But that is SSDI, not SSI. The OP is talking about SSI.

Before I became 18, I got denied by SSI. I dont remeber what reason. I am full deaf and I wear CI but I can't speak nor understand English well. I'm planning to get SSI myself this summer because I am 18 already.

its possible because you are under parents roof that ssi looked at your resource income that was over 2000. Just be sure that your parents have to change their tax code on the form that you're not with them. But its up to parents .

its possible because you are under parents roof that ssi looked at your resource income that was over 2000. Just be sure that your parents have to change their tax code on the form that you're not with them. But its up to parents .

Exactly. Parents income determines eligibility for a child.

Yes - it was SSDI that my daughter used to get. I know this was not directed towards me, but just seeing it, made me remember. I think if we go for anything now, it will be SSI since she is 17 and will be 18 next March.

Yes - it was SSDI that my daughter used to get. I know this was not directed towards me, but just seeing it, made me remember. I think if we go for anything now, it will be SSI since she is 17 and will be 18 next March.

Sounds like a good move. Might want to check with BVR, too, about picking up expenses for school or voc training.

Sounds like a good move. Might want to check with BVR, too, about picking up expenses for school or voc training.

Yeah - we were going to check in with VR to see if they could help at all. Biggest problem is daughter's memory retention. I know that if VR is unable to train her for a position and can't get anywhere, it will go a long way towards SSI. I was told that when I used them. I have been in contact with them since moving here just to be prepared. They say I need to wait until she is 18 and it does not matter that I home schooled or that we have technically dropped her out of school. We are still doing school work at home, but not under the guidelines of the state.

I already SSI I have welfare because no sense SSI strict,because I mind to ask social worker said no serious legal is very policy government!

Yeah - we were going to check in with VR to see if they could help at all. Biggest problem is daughter's memory retention. I know that if VR is unable to train her for a position and can't get anywhere, it will go a long way towards SSI. I was told that when I used them. I have been in contact with them since moving here just to be prepared. They say I need to wait until she is 18 and it does not matter that I home schooled or that we have technically dropped her out of school. We are still doing school work at home, but not under the guidelines of the state.

I know you are always on top of these things. Make sure to have some memory testing done for documentation. That can narrow the difficulties down to working memory, short term memory, and long term memory. All have different implications for learning and vocational needs.

we are in ohio he will be attending RIT in the fall

I used to know a lot of students at RIT (I was a student there myself) who established residency in New York and were able to get VR or SSI or SSDI services/help in New York than their own home state.

Back