son ssi taken away

cookingmom

Reaction score
my son was informed that because of the baha he no longer needs ssi and not considered to be disabled Don't they realize when he can't wear them he is deaf and he relies on the video relay service. he can't wear them in bed or in the shower or swimming . someplaces he goes like airports cause him feedback then he relies on sign to communicate. i hope after college he will no longer need to recieve a check but this just makes me mad there is a person that lives down the road from me and was approved because he was in prison for a year. come on now what is social security problem O f course he has asked for a appeal

Well - it's no different than when my daughter got her's taken away just because she had a 75% "understandability" of speech. It's now slipped back to 30%, but she still cannot get SSI anymore.

I would think part of it could be all this financial crisis and all kinds of budget cuts. If the son is able to go to school and function well and succeed, I don't see the need for SSI. In my daughter's case, she will never be able to hold a job. Maybe volunteer jobs, but not a paying job.

But, TXGolfer is right, this topic could get quite interesting. Hold on tight everyone!!

Well - it's no different than when my daughter got her's taken away just because she had a 75% "understandability" of speech. It's now slipped back to 30%, but she still cannot get SSI anymore.

I would think part of it could be all this financial crisis and all kinds of budget cuts. If the son is able to go to school and function well and succeed, I don't see the need for SSI. In my daughter's case, she will never be able to hold a job. Maybe volunteer jobs, but not a paying job.

But, TXGolfer is right, this topic could get quite interesting. Hold on tight everyone!!

If your daughter's has slipped back to 30%, can you appeal? Especially if you have an audiogram showing these results?

Sorry I'm not more help -- I don't know the rules for this stuff ..

If your daughter's has slipped back to 30%, can you appeal? Especially if you have an audiogram showing these results?

Sorry I'm not more help -- I don't know the rules for this stuff ..

Well - she was 8 when she was dropped and is 17 now. When we went back, they said too much time has passed for an appeal and we would have to start the process all over. We started and they said she did not qualify under their "new guidelines". We really aren't going to push it. Daughter has stated that there are other people having more problems than she is and maybe it would be better for them. I am on disability and she would hate to feel like I could lose mine if she got hers, you know. She tries to think of others before herself. I have tried to instill that on her and she does a wonderful job of helping a lot of the neighbors.

Well - she was 8 when she was dropped and is 17 now. When we went back, they said too much time has passed for an appeal and we would have to start the process all over. We started and they said she did not qualify under their "new guidelines". We really aren't going to push it. Daughter has stated that there are other people having more problems than she is and maybe it would be better for them. I am on disability and she would hate to feel like I could lose mine if she got hers, you know. She tries to think of others before herself. I have tried to instill that on her and she does a wonderful job of helping a lot of the neighbors.

If she is permanently disabled you need to get her on it before she is 18 years old.

If she is permanently disabled you need to get her on it before she is 18 years old.

That's the thing, they don't see her as permanently disabled. Their reasoning is that "she got better once before with her speech", but when I try to explain everything else, they say she doesn't qualify. I was told to try and see about VR after she's 18. Maybe they can help or something. She's not worried, but I do worry for her.

That's the thing, they don't see her as permanently disabled. Their reasoning is that "she got better once before with her speech", but when I try to explain everything else, they say she doesn't qualify. I was told to try and see about VR after she's 18. Maybe they can help or something. She's not worried, but I do worry for her.

I would too. I think I would get a lawyer to appeal. It should be very easy to prove that she functions at a third to fifth grade level and is going to need the help.

I would too. I think I would get a lawyer to appeal. It should be very easy to prove that she functions at a third to fifth grade level and is going to need the help.

Do it, Kristina. Get a lawyer. It would be worth it.

A girlfriend if mine, who is profoundly deaf, was denied SSI because she has a CI. They tested her hearing with the CI on and deemed her ineligible for SSI. Long story short, she fought it and won. On appeal, she proved her hearing loss was in the profound range with an UNAIDED audiogram and won on appeal. I'm sure there were other factors involved and I probably made this sound very simplistic, but please consider getting a lawyer for your daughter. It sounds like she's being denied SSI unfairly.

Good luck!

my son was informed that because of the baha he no longer needs ssi and not considered to be disabled Don't they realize when he can't wear them he is deaf and he relies on the video relay service. he can't wear them in bed or in the shower or swimming . someplaces he goes like airports cause him feedback then he relies on sign to communicate. i hope after college he will no longer need to recieve a check but this just makes me mad there is a person that lives down the road from me and was approved because he was in prison for a year. come on now what is social security problem O f course he has asked for a appeal

I agree that he will need to appeal for it again and check the rules. what state are you in?

He is considering HOH with CI. I have a deaf friend and she can hear thru HA a little bit and talk on phone but when she applied for SSA and they turned her down too because she can hear a little bit with HA. I am sorry but that is how SS work. I know how you feel about a man who was in in prison then got SS and VR too. He needs to appeal it or get a part time job just alike everyone else.

He is considering HOH with CI. I have a deaf friend and she can hear thru HA a little bit and talk on phone but when she applied for SSA and they turned her down too because she can hear a little bit with HA. I am sorry but that is how SS work. I know how you feel about a man who was in in prison then got SS and VR too. He needs to appeal it or get a part time job just alike everyone else.

BAHA is not a CI.

Unfortuantely, more often than not, it will take an experienced social security attorney to sort things like this out. It seems sometimes that SS just sees how difficult they can make it, hoping individuals will just give up.

They also have started saying that a diabetic, as long as they are taking insulin, no longer qualifies. I have a client that suffers a psychotic disorder and even with meds, is constantly assaulted by auditory hallucinations. There is no way this man can hold down a job. His attorney and I have been fighting SS for over a year now.

Appeal, appeal, appeal.

yes appeal appeal appeal

Kristina, keep trying again, just get some proof from dr to show SSA and DDS what your daughter have. Don't give up.

BAHA is not a CI.

Grendel is right. A BAHA is a Bone-anchored hearing aid.

yes appeal appeal appeal

Kristina, keep trying again, just get some proof from dr to show SSA and DDS what your daughter have. Don't give up.

An updated audiogram should be enough, but she should talk to an attorney and see what else may be needed.

Unfortuantely, more often than not, it will take an experienced social security attorney to sort things like this out. It seems sometimes that SS just sees how difficult they can make it, hoping individuals will just give up.

They also have started saying that a diabetic, as long as they are taking insulin, no longer qualifies. I have a client that suffers a psychotic disorder and even with meds, is constantly assaulted by auditory hallucinations. There is no way this man can hold down a job. His attorney and I have been fighting SS for over a year now.

Appeal, appeal, appeal.

Off topic...

Jillio, regarding your client with the refractory psychotic disorder, that is so sad. I hope the case is won on appeal. It sounds like it should be, but you're right. It can take a long time. In my friends case, it took about a year before she won the appeal.

An updated audiogram should be enough, but she should talk to an attorney and see what else may be needed.

True but how old is the audiogram ? If she have done it last year then that's fine. Agree to appeal again and try to talk w attorney but. First try with the appeal if I read her right. Ill re rea itwhen I get home

Back