Some thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess the moral of the thread is that hearing people have it better than deaf people in life so try to make deaf children as much like hearing children.

ooooooooo

I will. I have the research available. But you just posted some that proved my point, thanks!

lol you just missed the other half of sentence. it invalidated what you just highlighted.

That is all I claimed.

No, you claimed that they performed better. And here is the statement a bit further along in the quote that states otherwise:

high scores in these tests do not necessarily reflect conversational
competency in natural setting.

and

Tye-Murray [28] in a study comparing the conversational fluency in cochlear implant and normal hearing children found that cochlear implant children have a higher rate of communication breakdown compared to the normal hearing children and tend to be rated less favorably by the judges.

I will. I have the research available. But you just posted some that proved my point, thanks!

Actually, if you had read and understood the entire except, you would see that it doesn't support your point at all.

No, you claimed that they performed better. And here is the statement a bit further along in the quote that states otherwise:

high scores in these tests do not necessarily reflect conversational
competency in natural setting.

and

Tye-Murray [28] in a study comparing the conversational fluency in cochlear implant and normal hearing children found that cochlear implant children have a higher rate of communication breakdown compared to the normal hearing children and tend to be rated less favorably by the judges.

I'm not comparing them to hearing kids, I'm comparing them to profoundly deaf kids...because that is what they are.

I'm not comparing them to hearing kids, I'm comparing them to profoundly deaf kids...because that is what they are.

You also claim that they are able to function as hearing kids with their CI. If they are experiencing communication break downs, they are functioning as deaf children.

Because my kid already has language but she didn't have speech perception, now she has both.

That remains to be seen. The gaps widen with age.

But your answer did not address my question.

If that was the case, then why there are hoh people who werent able to develop speech skills? I am talking about those who were placed in oral-only environments..I have one student who came from an oral only environment with almost no oral nor ASL skills (no language at all) and he can hear at 40 dB without his hearing aids.

That's interesting. I was born with 40 db hearing loss and think I would have done better with sign language. I didn't get given hearing aids until I was 11. Although I did pick up on speech but still had problems with communication as I was Asperger too.

That remains to be seen. The gaps widen with age.

But your answer did not address my question.

So you have reason to believe that a child with a bi-bi school placement, fluent signing parents, and heavy involvement in the Deaf community will not remain age appropriate with language? Why would that be?

So you have reason to believe that a child with a bi-bi school placement, fluent signing parents, and heavy involvement in the Deaf community will not remain age appropriate with language? Why would that be?

What exactly does that have to do with my question?

What exactly does that have to do with my question?

You said that "it remains to be seen". I want to know why. Why would she stop being appropriate in language?

because some people don't use spoken language as their language base. They use it as a skill to interact with others. To them speech perception would be useful.

You said that "it remains to be seen". I want to know why. Why would she stop being appropriate in language?

I already told you. The gaps widen with age. And since you have already stated that you plan to mainstream her, and are so dissatisfied with her bi-bi placement, and have identified yourself as an oralist, the answer to your question is right there.

I already told you. The gaps widen with age. And since you have already stated that you plan to mainstream her, and are so dissatisfied with her bi-bi placement, and have identified yourself as an oralist, the answer to your question is right there.

Where on earth did I say I was an oralist? I contend, every time I post, that I'm not.

I said that I will have to mainstream her, yes.

Where on earth did I say I was an oralist? I contend, every time I post, that I'm not.

I said that I will have to mainstream her, yes.

Post #222, this thread. Your words, copied and pasted:

And oralists believe there are risks with a voice-off program. (Actually, I would call myself an oralist, and I believe there are issues/risks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back