So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummer, I would have at least like to have gone for ice cream. :lol:

OK, I'll gladly buy the ice cream if you share a little philosophy of language acquisition and growing up deaf with me.

Souggy, I usually like your thinking a lot. So maybe it's just the way I'm interpreting the wording and the juxtaposition with the movie's concepts, but I think it's a bit creepy to imagine that Deaf adults feel some claim to my child and have some say in what they see as a shared future. Deaf children do not belong to the Deaf Community. They belong with their families who love and care for them.

If you get the Aboriginal situation dramatized in Rabbit-Proof Fence, then I'd think you would see the damage in taking deaf children from their families (Hearing or Deaf) and home culture and enforcing some idealized "ethnicity" upon them.

Anyone who feels a right to say what I should or shouldn't do can start kicking in with the chores at home, greet Li at the bus in the afternoon, cook and pack her lunch each morning, piano on Thursdays, dentist on Friday, gymnastics on Saturdays, please watch her until 2, I've got a class for 4 hours. Dinner at 6, bath and a book at 7, we need new socks and a raincoat. Return the library books. Chip in for health insurance and start saving for college tuition, we'll need at least $180K by 2024, please. Remember special days, lots of love and care on a daily basis. Nail this and as part of our "family," I'll consider your input on how to raise my child and I might then understand this connection you feel.

Until then, the Deaf Community has as much claim to my child or a logical complaint about genocide or any impact on a shared futuew based on the decisions I make for my child as does any one of the 1.3 billion people living in China who share a real ethnicity with my daughter. But they were in line first, so you'll have a bit of a wait while we process those claims.

Piano?

Yay!!!

one thing for sure, you definitely can't choose to sterilize your child because of her genes, there will be a riot:)

Wirelessly posted

You know, I thought " deaf kids can't play piano" until I came across this troublemaker over on deafread a couple of years ago whose politics made me cry although he played some mean ragtime.

Sure enough, she lIves it. But if she starts spouting FauxNews talking points the piano goes out the door.

Wirelessly posted

deafgal001 said:
one thing for sure, you definitely can't choose to sterilize your child because of her genes, there will be a riot:)

Ahhh! No, if anything, was wishing for more just like her!

Glad I'm an influence on her, GrendelQ.

:wave: And seriously, that's one reason why, despite being a hearing person, I participate in Deaf community activities online and in real life. I want my daughter and our family to have Deaf influences, to be woven into the fabric of deaf culture, to contribute to the Deaf community. I don't want her to ever have a moment of "why did I never know there were others with this shared experience."

But, that doesn't mean she's been ripped from the communal Deaf home and brought into some Other hearing home and we're obligated to raise her according to Deaf Culture 1880. We choose to be part of the Deaf community as long as we're accepted as we are, and we are aware that we're a minority in this community.

Though, yet, do you get some grief from some Deaf people? Or even more paradoxically so from hearing people who think they know what they're talking about?

I'm sorry for being blunt, but I think this whole "fear" of Deaf Culture being dead is totally unfounded. People make it sound POOF!, it's gonna happen one day. The dying out of a culture takes generations. You will ALWAYS have people from your generation to share the culture with. There may be less people for the next generation, but they are still there. Even the VERY last Deaf person will most likely still sign with hearing people around him/her. If less people are signing with each generation, that's simply because they aren't interested enough or need it. Forget about kids being forced to live in the hearing world. When they are adults, all bets are off. So many people here on AD brag about how many oral kids become "Deaf" because of the horrible life they lead trying to be a hearing person. Why should the future generations be any different? But if deaf adults are happy with the way things are going living as a "hearing person", then Deaf Culture "dying out" shouldn't matter to them. It only matters to YOU, the Deaf individual, because you're afraid that you're going to lose people to communicate with. But like I said, the dying out of a culture is NOT the same thing as the FORCING of death of a culture (assimilation, as one called it). One takes generations and the other occurs within a lifetime.

Why are you so afraid of not being able to communicate with a deaf individual who will be born 50 years from today?

By the way, comparing this to Rabbit Proof Fence is absolutely absurd and kinda pisses me off actually because those people were FORCED to move away from their homes and families for life. And you're comparing this to Deaf Culture? Because some deaf people prefer to talk than sign to you? Not cool to me, man.

I'm sorry for being blunt, but I think this whole "fear" of Deaf Culture being dead is totally unfounded. People make it sound POOF!, it's gonna happen one day. The dying out of a culture takes generations. You will ALWAYS have people from your generation to share the culture with. There may be less people for the next generation, but they are still there. Even the VERY last Deaf person will most likely still sign with hearing people around him/her. If less people are signing with each generation, that's simply because they aren't interested enough or need it. Forget about kids being forced to live in the hearing world. When they are adults, all bets are off. So many people here on AD brag about how many oral kids become "Deaf" because of the horrible life they lead trying to be a hearing person. Why should the future generations be any different? But if deaf adults are happy with the way things are going living as a "hearing person", then Deaf Culture "dying out" shouldn't matter to them. It only matters to YOU, the Deaf individual, because you're afraid that you're going to lose people to communicate with. But like I said, the dying out of a culture is NOT the same thing as the FORCING of death of a culture (assimilation, as one called it). One takes generations and the other occurs within a lifetime.

Why are you so afraid of not being able to communicate with a deaf individual who will be born 50 years from today?

By the way, comparing this to Rabbit Proof Fence is absolutely absurd and kinda pisses me off actually because those people were FORCED to move away from their homes and families for life. And you're comparing this to Deaf Culture? Because some deaf people prefer to talk than sign to you? Not cool to me, man.

This isn't about deaf people preferring to talk. It's about hearing people preferring deaf people to talk when they prefer to sign.
Deaf people have always learned to talk for generations after generations, it's no difference than today. The problem is, some do want the right to be part of the deaf culture, and like I say, if social service start coming after us for not implanting our babies or something, isn't that the same as forcing the children away from their family?

This isn't about deaf people preferring to talk. It's about hearing people preferring deaf people to talk when they prefer to sign.
Deaf people have always learned to talk for generations after generations, it's no difference than today. The problem is, some do want the right to be part of the deaf culture, and like I say, if social service start coming after us for not implanting our babies or something, isn't that the same as forcing the children away from their family?

I think it is more about people hearing so well with new technology that that won't care about sign or being part of the deaf community.

Daredevel is right that it is a silly fear of the older people worrying about communicating with those fifty years from now.

Wirelessly posted

Yeah... I partly agree with you, Daredevil... that is why I start to learn how to speak and listen cos I kinda of realize there will be less signing in future if I get old and have a few friends or none. I don't want to be lonely. Too bad, healthy and hearing people never accept those "abnormal" people.

<venting>

Simply cos sign language is not so natural and ugly, not mention to those people think ASL is useless. If ASL sucks, why do they allow only hearing kids to learn ASL at early age? It is so stupid. Obviously, the ability has all five senses that must be more important than one missing sense of five. Well, everyone should be glad that disability is almost curable anyways. If it is curable, good fo them!

Ehhh..... whatever. I'm still learning how to speak and listen. It sucks to be me, isn't it, huh? :roll:

I already lost faith in the Deaf Culture a while ago. :(

Wirelessly posted

And to be honest, im sooo sick of hearing people expect me to understand their lipreading and everything. I don't like it when they told me that I will be like them.

Ugh... it sucks! :(

Wirelessly posted

Daredevel7 said:

A culture can go: "proof" seemingly overnight if no one fight for it. In the end, none of it really matter-- cultures will always cannibalize each others; history has shown that numerous of time. However we all share the same inherit instinct to pass on our languages, our traditions and our customs, and when people feel they are being denied of the opportunities to do so, the "us versus them" mentality is provoked. Gripes and debates like these are what keep these cultures alive, and it is what prevent the majority from imposing their idealized society upon minorities. So as unfound fears might be, they are not entirely without purpose.

And no, the movie was not being compared, but rather put out there to provokes some feelings and to help hearing-minded people see how the Deaf may feel about what is happening to them.

Last edited:
I think it is more about people hearing so well with new technology that that won't care about sign or being part of the deaf community.

Daredevel is right that it is a silly fear of the older people worrying about communicating with those fifty years from now.

I don't technology and hearing so well with it is a concern of cultural deaf people

Wirelessly posted

KarissaMann05 said:
Yeah... I partly agree with you, Daredevil... that is why I start to learn how to speak and listen cos I kinda of realize there will be less signing in future if I get old and have a few friends or none. I don't want to be lonely. Too bad, healthy and hearing people never accept those "abnormal" people.

<venting>

Simply cos sign language is not so natural and ugly, not mention to those people think ASL is useless. If ASL sucks, why do they allow only hearing kids to learn ASL at early age? It is so stupid. Obviously, the ability has all five senses that must be more important than one missing sense of five. Well, everyone should be glad that disability is almost curable anyways. If it is curable, good fo them!

Ehhh..... whatever. I'm still learning how to speak and listen. It sucks to be me, isn't it, huh? :roll:

Most of my social interactions take place in the hearing world, if the Deaf culture was to suddenly disappear and there is no hope of recovering it, I will just continue how I interact with people during my undergrad years. ;) it is not a bad life, since I do enjoy the hearing world, but it does require a healthy sense of self-esteem in order to stay afloat.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

<venting>

Well you still have the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back