So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped hanging with deaf people because most of them don't sign anyhow, and I can't hardly understand them as I do with hearing people.

I stopped hanging with deaf people because most of them don't sign anyhow, and I can't hardly understand them as I do with hearing people.

Ok....

Can you re-phrase your post #101....something is missing in the line....thanks

This isn't about deaf people preferring to talk. It's about hearing people preferring deaf people to talk when they prefer to sign.
Deaf people have always learned to talk for generations after generations, it's no difference than today. The problem is, some do want the right to be part of the deaf culture, and like I say, if social service start coming after us for not implanting our babies or something, isn't that the same as forcing the children away from their family?

It is EXACTLY about deaf people preferring to talk. I am not talking about deaf people being ABLE to talk, I'm talking about PREFERRING to talk. Hearing people prefer deaf people to talk for what? 100 years? Right? AD-ers talk about AGBell all the time, right? Obviously, hearing people wanting deaf people to talk didn't do a thing to the Deaf culture, except maybe cause bad stigma. Sign language is the basis of Deaf culture. Deaf culture would cease to exist WHEN deaf people would rather talk than use ASL, not when hearing people prefer deaf people to talk.

Wirelessly posted

100 years? Try 400-600 years. It's only in the last 150 years technology has been applied.

Last edited:
Yes, but it changes the rules of the game a bit. With hearing aids, usually severe and moderate hearing losses gain the benefits; with cochlear implants, the profound gains the benefit. So effectively, the only people who don't get any benefit at all are the ones with nerve damages or APD. So, yes, Deaf culture will still be there, but it won't be the same one as we saw a decade or three ago. Now you understand?

It is not that the Deaf culture will cease to exist, it just won't be the same as it was a half a century ago. And people fear changes. Whether or not it's a good thing or not, I don't know. That's why we have "conservatives" and "progressives" in politics. ;) One tries to advance forward whether or not it's good for society, the other takes heed and be cautious of dangerous decisions in favour of status quo.
Is any culture the same as it was a half a century ago? Also not everyone gains benefit from a CI and it is due to many more reasons that just nerve damage or APD. There are many reasons that a CI will not be benifical.

Wirelessly posted

100 years? Try 400-600 years. It's only in the last 150 years technology has been applied.

See? It don't do a thang to the Deaf culture, oh no, it doesn't.

*Imagine me doing a finger waving gesture in a bitchy way*

Wirelessly posted

Daredevel7 said:
souggy said:

See? It don't do a thang to the Deaf culture, oh no, it doesn't.

*Imagine me doing a finger waving gesture in a bitchy way*

Yes, and no. With more and more people functioning as if they only have mild hearing loss, it decreases the number of participants; whether it is a good thing or not, the individuals will have to decide for themselves. Cultural values have certainly changed, before the Deaf didn't care for music. Now? With more individuals being able to hear music? We have interpretations of songs being performed by Deaf individuals themselves-- not just interpreters, CODAs or students. However, the need for ASL to exist, and curiosity of the culture surrounding it certainly have not diminished.

Last edited:
The VERY last deaf person?...Hmm. Glad it won't be me (at least I hope it won't be me!), it would sucks to be the last deaf person in the whole world.
Although I wonder if it would make a good novel out of this notion?

The VERY last deaf person?...Hmm. Glad it won't be me (at least I hope it won't be me!), it would sucks to be the last deaf person in the whole world.
Although I wonder if it would make a good novel out of this notion?

Ishi, the last of his tribe. So the concept has already been done.

souggy, not quite. It's based on the presumption that hoh folks are "more hearing" then deaf.
And Daredevil, you're 100% right. It's going to be a while before we can honestly say if this generation will be able to assimulate into hearing society better then previous generations.
Just b/c a kid can aqquire speech easily, it does not mean that it will be the only helpful tool in their toolbox. 28 years ago when I got my hearing aids, and mastered speech the experts thought that's ALL I "needed"
The thing is.......in order to prefer one or the other mode of communication, you have to present a CHOICE between two options. You can't just give them oral skills and go " oh they've mastered oral skills and don't "need" ASL.

souggy, not quite. It's based on the presumption that hoh folks are "more hearing" then deaf.
And Daredevil, you're 100% right. It's going to be a while before we can honestly say if this generation will be able to assimulate into hearing society better then previous generations.
Just b/c a kid can aqquire speech easily, it does not mean that it will be the only helpful tool in their toolbox. 28 years ago when I got my hearing aids, and mastered speech the experts thought that's ALL I "needed"
The thing is.......in order to prefer one or the other mode of communication, you have to present a CHOICE between two options. You can't just give them oral skills and go " oh they've mastered oral skills and don't "need" ASL.

The point is, if they prefer speaking over ASL (or just choose not to seek out ASL), what happens then? I know a few kids (2 are even from Deaf families) who default to speaking even though they know and use (and go to school) in ASL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back