So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that it's also some of the deaf that wants to hear better or wants a CI, etc. Not just the hearing.

This is how hearing people have been influencing on small kids' self esteems by hearing people's point of view on hearing the sound and when they get older realizing that they would like to hear better or getting CI. That's totally understandable!! They may not have deaf culture if they don't practically ASL, facial expressions, deaf poems, deaf jokes, and deaf lanaugae and go on. That's what my thread is all about.

I look at it as a bigger picture.. 5000 years from now, "white supremacy" is going to be gone. There will most likely be small factions of whites who feel they are elite or refuse to mate with non-whites in order to main cultural hegemony.. Patriarch customs, whatever the reason why they would look down on other races. (Think KKK)

so, will deaf culture be like that? :hmm:

Sad, in some way, it can be. same idea for asian culture that will be gone. :(

Sad, in some way, it can be. same idea for asian culture that will be gone. :(

I'm sure many will be ok with it. They are the underdog under the white man's shadow for too long, and their culture is too old..
Confucius say: Study the past if you would define the future. (551 BC - 479 BC)

I would think the deaf culture will still be here for the next 20 years or so. There's too many of us to let it die. Now, after we are gone is another question. It hard to say what will happen as there are so many people getting CI's. A lot of them do still consider themselves to be a part of the deaf culture and may not let it die. As far as DNA "doctoring" goes, That's an iffy thing. Some people think it's against their basic biblical beliefs. (I promise, I am not getting into a religious discussion here). I would just hope that their beliefs (whatever they may believe) will allow themselves to make a well rounded decision before doing anything. I don't know that I want to be around for that. Who's to say that DNA altering won't affect other areas of the fetus's brain?

Yes its evolving. I love my deaf culture from 1970 to now only with our own people.

25 years ago I thought the Deaf culture would be gone by 2010 because of CIs.

Checking crystal ball.... *banging crystal ball on table... damn thing never works!

Who knows. I don't think deafness will last forever though, not unless it was implied. Hey...how do we know mankind will be here in 10 years? Anything can happen, and universe will still move on.

Human beings always seem to be striving for "perfection."

Even hearing's culture is evolving already. Probably because of technology. For example, you get to see newer generation not knowing some proper social skills due to the fact that they are communicate with each other using technology. Wanna break up, just text. Wanna find a mate, just get online. Wanna to discuss something to your boss that you are not happy about, just e-mail it.

Best thing we can do is just enjoying the moment we are given. Enjoy the deaf culture we have now. The future generations will have to figure out for themselves. All we can do with resources we are given, are to record it into the history and share it with them if we can.

Who knows. I don't think deafness will last forever though, not unless it was implied. Hey...how do we know mankind will be here in 10 years? Anything can happen, and universe will still move on.

Human beings always seem to be striving for "perfection."

Even hearing's culture is evolving already. Probably because of technology. For example, you get to see newer generation not knowing some proper social skills due to the fact that they are communicate with each other using technology. Wanna break up, just text. Wanna find a mate, just get online. Wanna to discuss something to your boss that you are not happy about, just e-mail it.

Best thing we can do is just enjoying the moment we are given. Enjoy the deaf culture we have now. The future generations will have to figure out for themselves. All we can do with resources we are given, are to record it into the history and share it with them if we can.

The bold sentence is what get me so upset that not everyone is perfect in our world. Remember Hilter and his men from World War II want to destroy anyone who is not perfect, and want the superior race to be blue eyed, blond hair and perfectly five senses. Same goes for KKK trying to destroy humanity even if we are different. Today they are still trying to make devices for the deaf to hear and listen. That is why we want them to leave us alone as the way we are no matter how much money the government had to save. We are not the only one and there are disability kids and adults who need accommodations too. The government don't care at all, even the AG Bell. :roll:

Key word is "strive"; nothing wrong with that but, yeah, I see what you mean.

Frisky, that just means that Deaf culture is going to become more Hoh friendly. What IS pure deaf anyway? I think the movement is swinging towards a "full toolbox" approach. Even a lot of DODAs are getting speech training and hearing aids and CIs.
We will still be around for many many more centuries.

i think technology will make things a lot different. voice to text and sign reading computers among other things will make any hearing loss less and less a problem. this goes beyong improvements in HA's and CI's . a hundred years from now we will all be surgically implanted with computers to communicate with each other.

i think technology will make things a lot different. voice to text and sign reading computers among other things will make any hearing loss less and less a problem. this goes beyong improvements in HA's and CI's . a hundred years from now we will all be surgically implanted with computers to communicate with each other.

My natural mode already! Cryogenics must be mine!!

Maybe set up a "Deaf culture death watch" clock? Kind of like the famous "Doomsday Clock?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back