So...what you think about the health care bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, i know it is not captioned, sorry, most youtubes aren't

yes, i know it is not captioned, sorry, most youtubes aren't

there is usually online transcript available. sorry if we don't take your video for granted. a complete transcript is necessary and appreciated in order to get the full picture.

there is usually online transcript available. sorry if we don't take your video for granted. a complete transcript is necessary and appreciated in order to get the full picture.

Sorry, I couldn't find a transcript, so I asked my 16-yr-old to help transcribe the video....
Man: Madame speaker, I’m just trying to understand. Umm, if you don’t buy health insurance you go to jail? You didn’t answer my question.

Pelosi: Well, there is, there is. a aa aaaa I think the legislation’s very fair in this respect.

*applause*

Man: Speaker Pelosi can I ask you just one more question please? Speaker Pelosi?

Sorry, I couldn't find a transcript, so I asked my 16-yr-old to help transcribe the video....

mucho gracious :ty:

that's a very awkward reply by Pelosi. I never liked her anyway. She needs to leave.... NOW! She's worse than Two-Face :mad2:

Pelosi is an idiot. And she's one heart beat away from being a vice president, too.

Pelosi is an idiot. And she's one heart beat away from being a vice president, too.

:cold:

although - I still prefer her over Sarah Palin

I just don't think they are going to be able to enforce this policy. They already don't enforce lack of vehicle insurance and that affects more than just the person driving the car, as when they do get into an accident and cause bodily injury to another individual it causes all of our rates to go up. Yet, there are still plenty of people out there with no vehicle insurance driving our streets.

I just don't think they are going to be able to enforce this policy. They already don't enforce lack of vehicle insurance and that affects more than just the person driving the car, as when they do get into an accident and cause bodily injury to another individual it causes all of our rates to go up. Yet, there are still plenty of people out there with no vehicle insurance driving our streets.

I'm all for major key points as listed in this health care reform but mandatory health insurance? public option? :nono:

Sometimes. Not for me but for clients. But I wouldn't make a definitive statement one way or the other about what illegal aliens do for medical treatment without something to back it up.

Not exactly. She's two heart beats away from being President.

Last edited:
Sometimes. Not for me but for clients. But I wouldn't make a definitive statement one way or the other about what illegal aliens do for medical treatment without something to back it up.

Pics? ;)

Sure...but they are fined when caught. And required to show insurance to register a vehicle.

Pelosi an idiot? ha...because she doesn't follow your dreams. She is considered to be a very good political achiever. Hardly something an idiot can do. I like her.

One thing to note... to even see a doctor, if you're not in critical condition, in B.C., you need to show your healthcare ID card or insurance number or they won't even allow you to see the doctor.

Just thought of this.

Amount spent on health care for undocumented immigrants is a hot political topic that politicians avoid.

Amount of health care losses for local government and hospitals in Texas due to undocumented immigrants:

The Comptroller estimates cost to hospitals not reimbursed by state funds totaled $1.3 billion in 2004. Similarly, 2005 local costs for incarceration are estimated to be $141.9 million. The Comptroller estimates that undocumented immigrants paid more than $513 million in fiscal 2005 in local taxes, including city, county and special district sales and property taxes. While state revenues exceed state expenditures for undocumented immigrants, local governments and hospitals experience the opposite, with the estimated difference being $928.9 million for 2005.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/undocumented/

Cost to Harris County:

The Harris County Hospital District, the nation’s third-busiest public hospital system, estimated about one-in-five of patients seen by the county’s healthcare system were undocumented immigrants. Medical care for these patients, both emergency and non-emergency related, accounted for $97.3 million or approximately 14 percent of the system’s total operating costs in 2005.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/undocumented/4health.html

December 12, 2008
Janet Elliott
The Houston Chronicle

State Rep. Garnet Coleman, D-Houston, said the study only tells half of the story.

He noted that the immigrants contribute to government coffers by paying sales and property taxes.

The report said that in the fiscal year ending Aug. 31, 2007, the state spent $80 million under the Texas Emergency Medicaid program, which pays hospitals to provide life-saving care, including labor and delivery services, to patients living here illegally. The state also paid $1.2 million to provide services to undocumented immigrants in family violence shelters.

Federal law requires hospitals and ambulance services to provide care to anyone needing emergency treatment regardless of their citizenship, legal status or ability to pay.

Harris County's cost
The Harris County Hospital District provided $203.5 million in uncompensated care to illegal immigrants in 2006, the report said.

But county hospital district officials disputed the report's numbers, noting that they were calculated on the basis of charges instead of costs. They said charges are inflated, typically double the actual costs of services to taxpayers.

"The cost of health care to undocumented immigrants is something we worry about, something we monitor, but we don't want to overstate it," said David Lopez, president and CEO of the Harris County Hospital District. "It's not an overwhelming percentage of our budget."

Lopez said the actual cost is 10 to 14 percent of the hospital district's budget, or about $100 million to $120 million.

About 80 percent of the district's illegal immigrant patients were women and children, and most were pregnant women. Lopez said the hospital district was not consulted for the report.

In another sense, the report underestimated the cost of care to illegal immigrants because it did not include figures for the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, which functioned like a hospital district by providing safety-net services. It spent $140 million annually on undocumented immigrant care, an official said Thursday.

Officials can only estimate the undocumented immigrants. They don't show up for help and announce their status. Many women go to the hospital for delivery without any prenatal care.

Pelosi an idiot? ha...because she doesn't follow your dreams. She is considered to be a very good political achiever. Hardly something an idiot can do. I like her.

Not that. Seriously, she is an idiot. But people do fall over her. I can't help that part.

Too bad Condi isn't an option ;)

actually I would consider it :hmm: I prefer a hard-liner type... along with a touch of Regan's diplomacy skill. While GWB has a terrible rep which pretty much tarnished RNC & Bush Legacy.... I do admire Bush's tenaciousness and his "Less Talk, More Action" style. His meetings with Cabinet members and Generals were short and strictly business. If somebody cannot do the job, get out.

Yes he made mistakes. He admitted it.
Yes he made bad decisions. He admitted it.
During the whole time - he was not afraid to make hard decisions while knowing the fact that people will die. He is not afraid to stick with it and go thru it.

Look at Clinton and his handling of Battle of Mogadishu aka Black Hawk Down. I was extremely disappointed at his half-ass military decision. The mission was simple - arrest Mohamed Farrah Aidid and his group to hold them accountable for crime against humanity. So Clinton gave it a go... later some soldiers were dying and causality rate was climbing. He got scared and aborted the mission. :wtf:

It's too bad that Bush made more bad decisions than good because the people he had with him were incompetent. It is also too bad that Bush used political cronyism. One thing for sure - our National Security is better than ever. The Presidential ability to do the job has been greatly improved for "anytime, anywhere" capability (ie. he ordered modernization of Air Force One to be fully-equipped for high-speed teleconference & cold lines with anybody in the world. During 9/11, Bush was not able to get in touch with anybody. He had a very very limited and unreliable communication with White House and Pentagon.)

Do you spend a lot of time in hospital waiting rooms to observe this?

no but I know enough that it is not a major culprit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back