Sidekick Tricks

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
I found some interesting tricks that you can do on your Sidekick. There are more, but I won't mention them here... since they can harm your Sidekick if not done correctly. Here goes:
  • Jump (Main)
    • Menu + F = turns wheel/D-pad into a flashlight
    • Menu + Shift + M = black screen (press Back to restore)
    • System Info (Menu > "Settings" > "System Info")
      • Menu + D = diagnostics
      • Menu + U = network username/password ??
      • Menu + W = clears browser info
      • Menu + R = erases sign-in info
      • Menu + X = erase flash settings
    • About Sidekick (Menu > "Settings" > "About Sidekick")
      • Menu + Shift + 8 = Snowbored game
      • Menu + Shift + Spacebar = pauses scrolling credits
  • AIM
    • (while online)
      Menu + Shift + I = sets idle timeout
    • (while online)
      Menu + J = joins chat room
  • Email
    • Menu + U = fetches pop email
    • Menu + K = marks read/unread
  • Browser
    • Menu + Shift + T = toggles full-screen mode
  • Gallery
    • (while in full-screen)
      Menu + W = 100% zoom (press Menu for other options)

Very informative, but old. Saw this on hiptop forums last year. :D BTW, the one that triggers a black screen is really the mirror function, it allow you to see yourself on the LCD screen.

oh yea i know some of that.. cuz of my good friend teach me how!! hehe! but i dont know few that u sent.. thanks for share with us.. :hug:

for this one

Email
Menu + U = fetches pop email

got a screen stating that I couldn't fetches but need to set up an account... how to do that?

nozobo said:
for this one

Email
Menu + U = fetches pop email

got a screen stating that I couldn't fetches but need to set up an account... how to do that?
Okay, here's a more detailed step-by-step procedure:
  • Email
    • Menu > "Settings" > "Accounts"
      • Menu > "New Account" (Menu + N)
        • Works with Gmail
        • Does not work with Yahoo unless a paying member
        • Does not work with Hotmail unless a paying member
        • Works with other servers... if server permits

VamPyroX said:
Okay, here's a more detailed step-by-step procedure:
  • Email
    • Menu > "Settings" > "Accounts"
      • Menu > "New Account" (Menu + N)
        • Works with Gmail
        • Does not work with Yahoo unless a paying member
        • Does not work with Hotmail unless a paying member
        • Works with other servers... if server permits

• I forgot to add...

You'll have to refer to the help section of those servers for information on how to set up a POP3 account for your pager. For Gmail, it's easy...
    • Account
      • Mail Server
        pop.gmail.com
      • Protocol
        POP/SSL
      • Port
      • Username
        (your username)
      • Password
        (your password)
      • Email Folder (Be sure to create a new folder before creating a new account. It's easier that way. It can be done after, but it's more complicated and longer.)
        Gmail Inbox (This is just a suggestion. I do that so I know what's directed to me through pager and through the computer.)
      • From Name
        (your name)
      • From Address (This is recommended. If people receive your reply, they will think it came from the computer.)
        username@gmail.com
      • Reply-To Name
        (your name)
      • Reply-To Address[/b] (This is also recommended. When they reply, it will still go back to your personal computer account. That way, you can save them and keep track of them.)
        username@gmail.com
    The last part is "Copy Outgoing Messages". That is optional. I checked that and set it to BCC so all replies are blindly copied to my email. That way, my computer account keeps track of my replies as well. ;)

Yeahh Here is worth useful tools & tricks!

VamPyroX, Grr you beat me already.. Actually, I was planned that set sidekick tutrual, trick, tip on this.. but many thank you for created this sidekick trick & tips in alldeaf more easy for deaf people could learn and share with us..

Evevryone, I was wondering if any of you who know how to change shortcut in Jump shortcuts? because I am totally forgotton how to change or add it for shortcut in jump shortcuts that where I learned from hiptop trick & tips for long time ago... I came back there, there is trick & tip gone.. grrrr.. Anybody could help me how to change and add shortcut list in jump shortcuts..

You click Menu > Settings > Jump shortcuts:

For example

Symbol sign of Jump = a Address Book

n/a AOL Mail

on and on lists in Jump shortcuts..

You see two lists as above. You can change it whatever shortcut as example: n/a AOL Mail change Q AOL Mail.. that why I forget somehow trick and tips from jump shortcuts.. I hope there anybody still remeber that how jump shortcut's trick and tips.. Just throw tricks & tips on this please..

Many thanks!

Enjoy stay!!!! have wonderful weekend!! :D

ckfarbes said:
VamPyroX, Grr you beat me already.. Actually, I was planned that set sidekick tutrual, trick, tip on this.. but many thank you for created this sidekick trick & tips in alldeaf more easy for deaf people could learn and share with us..

Evevryone, I was wondering if any of you who know how to change shortcut in Jump shortcuts? because I am totally forgotton how to change or add it for shortcut in jump shortcuts that where I learned from hiptop trick & tips for long time ago... I came back there, there is trick & tip gone.. grrrr.. Anybody could help me how to change and add shortcut list in jump shortcuts..

You click Menu > Settings > Jump shortcuts:

For example

Symbol sign of Jump = a Address Book

n/a AOL Mail

on and on lists in Jump shortcuts..

You see two lists as above. You can change it whatever shortcut as example: n/a AOL Mail change Q AOL Mail.. that why I forget somehow trick and tips from jump shortcuts.. I hope there anybody still remeber that how jump shortcut's trick and tips.. Just throw tricks & tips on this please..

Many thanks!

Enjoy stay!!!! have wonderful weekend!! :D
You're right... you can change shortcuts. I usually prefer to leave mine alone. I usually recommend that others do the same. If it's a new application, you can go ahead and create new shortcuts for them. For the old usual applications, I prefer they're left alone. The reason for this is so that I can easily share my pagers with my friends. For instance, if I wanted my friend to add his contact information... I can simply give him my Sidekick and let him do it himself quickly. He simply does this (Jump + A; Menu + N) and then fills in the rest. If it's changed, then they have to scroll to find everything. Heh!

I just learned a new trick recently!

You can make your notes read-only! Hehehe!

This is a tricky process. Here's how you do it: (Online means to do it online. Sidekick means to do it on your Sidekick.)
  1. Sidekick: Create a new note
  2. Online: Access your account
  3. Online: Open that note in EDIT mode
  4. Sidekick: Delete that note
  5. Online: Click "Save"
  6. Online: Open that note in EDIT mode
  7. Online: Click "Save"
  8. Sidekick: Check that note... it will open, but it can't be edited. ;)

Do you know how to create clear stars and black stars? Or print big BRB? I noticed my friend's away msg. I did ask her about it, she said it is secret, so she won't tell me. :mad:

Oddball said:
Do you know how to create clear stars and black stars? Or print big BRB? I noticed my friend's away msg. I did ask her about it, she said it is secret, so she won't tell me. :mad:

I got the copy of those stars saved on my sidekick. It is hard to make one but if you want one, i can text/email you the stars so you can save it onto your notes and use it via copy/paste (I do that if I want to use the stars for email or whatnot). I don't think you can just "type" it in and it will turn into the stars.

Also--Did yall know about those monkey faces?
Somewhat like this: @(oo)@ ? @(^^)@ et cetera...
Is there more? I dont like those monkey faces. :-D

gnarlydorkette said:
I got the copy of those stars saved on my sidekick. It is hard to make one but if you want one, i can text/email you the stars so you can save it onto your notes and use it via copy/paste (I do that if I want to use the stars for email or whatnot). I don't think you can just "type" it in and it will turn into the stars.

Yes, please!! I pm you with my email addy. Winks.

I tried that but its not work with Port number which they can't find directory or anything...

gnarlydorkette said:

It's actually...

@(^o^)@ for monkey faces... I did it recently. :thumb:

Speaking of SnowBored game...

If you play it during the dates of December 14th to December 25th, you get holiday decorated trees instead of plain green trees. ;)

Jump Shortcuts for SIDEK!CK Owner's Manual

About the Settings Screens

You customize your device by selecting options listed on the settings screens. There are two types of settings screens:

• From these screens you set device - wide preferences, such as application shortcuts, sound profiles, key guard idle time, etc. To open these screens, press Jump
    T02003-14.gif
    to go to the Jump screen, then press Menu
    T02003-15.gif
    and select the Settings submenus.
  • Application-specific settings - From these screens you set application-specific preferences, such as call forwarding options, browser home page, etc. To open these screens, press Jump
    T02003-14.gif
    to go to the Jump screen, then select any application (Web Browser, Phone, Email, etc.). Once within an application, press Menu
    T02003-15.gif
    and select Settings.

Jump Shortcuts

You can always press Jump
T02003-14.gif
to return to the Jump screen, where you can then select one of the applications. However, if you want to jump to a specific application quickly, you can set a shortcut key. Your device comes with a default set of shortcut keys, but you can change them, as described below.

To open the Jump Shortcuts screen, press Menu
T02003-15.gif
then select Settings > Jump Shortcuts.

T02007-40.jpg

Change Default Shortcuts

1. Scroll to highlight the application for which you want to change a Jump shortcut, then press the wheel. The Key Mapping dialog box appears. In the illustration below, Address Book was highlighted when the Key Assignment dialog box opened:

T02007-28.jpg

2. Press the key you want to use to jump to the application you've highlighted. The Key Mapping dialog box disappears and your shortcut is saved.

3. Now, to use a Jump Shortcut from any screen at any time, press Jump
T02003-14.gif
plus the shortcut key to open that application.

4. To delete a shortcut key mapping, rotate the wheel to highlight the application name, then press the DEL key
T02003-18.gif

We recommend you step through the device Settings screens and then the application-specific Settings screens to completely customize your device for your personal use. The device-wide settings are described in detail in this chapter. Settings for the applications are described in their own chapters.

SOURCE: http://help.sidekick.dngr.com/en-us/

Owner's Manual Contents

Owner's Manual Index

Last edited:
VamPyroX said:
Speaking of SnowBored game...

If you play it during the dates of December 14th to December 25th, you get holiday decorated trees instead of plain green trees. ;)
If you want to try playing the game with holiday trees, you can either wait until those days or change the dates now to those dates specified. However, it won't work if you're connected to the service. You'll have to turn off wireless before being able to do it. ;)

I tried to play Snowbored but I cannot control the way the player is snowboarding.. I kept falling down and crashed. >:[

I tried the toggle pad but it didn't work. Where do I press to keep the snowboarder going?

swtalmd--I still have problems with GMAIL on my Sidekick-- port number is not valid or something , just like you said. Vampy-- Help? :)

Aha!

YOU have to enable the POP access first before you try to sign it on your sidekick...
It says all here

pop.gif

Click 'Settings' at the top of any Gmail page.
Click 'Forwarding and POP' in the orange 'Mail Settings' box.
Select 'Enable POP for all mail' or 'Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.'
Choose the action you’d like your Gmail messages to take after they are accessed with POP.
Configure your POP client* and click 'Save Changes.'

Back