Show off your own Built a Custom PC!

It's time for me to buy LCD.

If it was 7 years ago, I would prefer CRT for no doubt.

Now, LCD technology is alot better.

The way I see it, going more than dual just means for today's multimedia world, you want the best for what's out there RIGHT NOW for the game that you want to play. It has nothing to do with future proofing, that's just a gimmick to make you feel safe about your buy.

Remember the SLI Voodoo 2 PCI's? Exact similar situation back in the late 90's. Game of choice then was Quake/Quake2 and in order to provide better framerates and higher memory (textures, etc) the V2SLI attracted people that desired this.

The purpose of adding more memory to a videocard is exactly for texture rendering. How much textures can be displayed, and how fast it can be done. There is a limit to due to how far the programmers allow for it to be done in the game. It's almost exactly for the same reasons of adding more memory over 2GB on a desktop system. Adding more is always beneficial, but the gains are so slight you won't even notice anything to the native eye, especially depending on what you are doing.

In a game, you could say, it goes both ways. How far the world gets drawn out in a RPG, how detailed the building looks in Fallout 3 or Farcry 2, etc. In multiplayer, for most programmers you want an equalized game for everyone so that no one can get an advantage just because of their system specs. So there are limits to background textures and stuff that can be controlled server-side.

And yeah, for CRT vs LCD. If you want higher refresh rates (VERY important for FPS games where everything is going by the nanoseconds) you'll want a CRT. It is able to draw images on the screen faster than LCD crystals can generate them. (Hence, higher refresh rates).

I haven't been playing for awhile, but the only game I last knew about where FPS mattered was Quake 3. If your FPS was set to max at 60 due to vsync or general LCD settings, there was this one block you could not jump over in multiplayer 1 vs 1 arena. If you bypassed the 60FPS cap, you were able to jump over this block. Sounds crazy, but if you saw it you'll know what I mean.

Yes, I am fully aware that more memory, smoother the video. It seem that once you have 256mb or 512mb graphic card, You probably wouldn't notice any difference as were if you were using 1gb or 2gb graphic card. Human eye don't see nanoseconds of it. All I know that GPU is one of the most important factor. Example, My basment system, AMD Althon XP system (old) and using ATI Radeon 9000 Pro which is very old to you. It cranks at 275mhz and it plays most games no problem. I do not believe it'll meet up with current heavy graphical games. I've seen some GPU around 500mhz to 1Ghz which make difference with current game. Gamers wanted no choppy video on games and able to move on next level without worry about GPU "bottleneck".

I agree with you about LCD monitors. Since that LCD monitor are restricted to 60hz refresh rate (lustfully changing to high res would do damage). The real problem is that LCD can't keep up with fastest movements. It'll "skip or blanks cuz it's too fast for crystal to change color. Also Changing the resolution of LCD monitor can be really a pain. I've messed with my work Dell LCD monitor. Most supervisors prefer set it to 1024x768 while I personally prefers 1600x1200 (that's the set resolution that LCD monitor setting according to it's Onscreen information). I can see text perfectly fine and it's cleaner and sharper. Any supervisors other than me would squint hard with :wag: and struggling to read like they're blind (hee hee hee :giggle: ). The real problem is the LCD's pixle. More expensive LCD monitor tend to be more finer and cleaner that you can change resolution without seeing any "blurry" text or lines.

We now have new OLED TVs, I am beginning to wonder that OLED would be the fastest display for games cuz it's directly from LED instead of LCD. I would love to see what's the difference. I know it's lifespan is short but manufacter are improving it's lifespan tho.

I agree with you that programmer don't want to be unfair to anyone cuz of system spec that gamer own. I sure hope that they don't demand too much of graphic power just over tiny details of the games :lol: but the games today are much more finer and realistic than it was years ago. Thus it requires more processing power on CPU and GPU to make it smooth and fast with realisitc graphic. I hope the developer would find a new way to make graphic go really smooth, fine, and fast with less power on graphic card with fps all cranked up high.

I planned to buy 512mb or 1gb Nvidia PCI-E graphic card (GT model only!! :lol:) for my son's AMD64 system. And also be compatible with Linux too if I plan to dual boot.

Catty

Catty, try get the XFX brand they make good cards, but yeah i agree get at least the GT's..... dont piss about with the crippled cards , real waste of time this doesnt matter what generation series 7/8/9(nvidia) ......

I read posters about LCD VS CRT.. There is none LCD better than CRT Monitor for whole rest.. However the hardcore gamers feel forced themselves buy LCD instead of CRT, Because CRT is no longer makings nor making many.. You guys know that CRT Monitor is STILL KING forever and ever!

:rofl: 1) I understand how you feel. :rofl:

2) You hit the right point that Upgrading graphic card only neccessary. I agree with you totally cuz Graphic card is a big role to make PC run faster, larger memory and faster Graphic processor make old PC run fast. Upgrading system memory is 2nd to par.

3) That's the secret of making system go fast.

4) AGP graphic card are still around. You can check at Ebay or go to computer store, You'll see some AGPs there. PCI-E are becoming a norm and now new PCI-E 2.0!!!

5) I have seen many Brand Name system like Dell, HP, Compaq, Levono ect often use Onboard graphic chipset that shares system memory which cause problem with some games and apps. Some system allow you to change graphic memory size through BIOS or Graphic chipset software. I prefer using graphic card over Onboard graphic chipset cuz it made everything runs smooth and fast without issue.

6) I want Nvidia too. ATI is as good as Nvida but have issue when using Linux running on Compiz (Beryl) "eyecandy" desktop. I prefer full "eyecandy" than 80%. Using ATI Radeon graphic card, I only can use 80% of Compiz's Eyecandy desktop, 20% can't work due to driver issue for ATI. Nvidia allow more like "rain" or "snow", puddle and more "eyecandy" which I am missing 20%. Right now I am seeing ATI improving on driver for newer ATI card and Ubuntu and many other Linuxes recommending ATI than Nvida because Nvidia isn't trying hard to build "propriety" driver for Linux. (Sheesh! Nvidia!!)

7) Some mobo allow up to 3 graphic cards, It either combine speed to one card or allow 3 or 6 monitors (hacker's system :lol:)

8) I also realized that PCI-E 1x (not 16x) short slot is being use for TV card, Network adapter and some hardware cards to plug in to in place of old PCI slot.

Catty

1) Thank you for understanding.

2) Yeah Of course Graphic card is very key for upgrade or update when video card is out of update, then get new graphic card...

3) Yes, Can you tell me whats the secret making system run so fast? Mm..

4) I don't want to buy agp card from ebay, I feel doubt that seller would selling me ole card which could be out of update.. don't waste it. Thats what I consider to buy PCI-E which is more and more popular than ever. thats meaning I have to buy new motherboard, new memory ram, and new CPU as all upgrade parts which replace ole parts..

5) Yes thats VERY true..I actually loathe the completed system desktop pc built by Dell, HP, Compaq, Levono, on and on.. I must buy parts, new/ upgrade replace ole parts from my own built PC.

6) Yes, yes.. radeon cards are very good and quality. but Nvida is graphic-dominant and well-products!

7) Really?? If I put two graphic card installed in single PC, so i can hook two monitiors with single PC. You correct me if I am wrong?

8) Yes I aware of PCI adapter/slot is more different from PCI Express adapter/ slot.

I hate it when I playing games 800x600 with lowest setting in Half-life 2 and others games because my video card is really low-profile Geforce 6200 TC 128MB so I've unistalled 5 games from my currently PC and use it for checking email, internet or whatever that will not cause my current pc slower. I'll buy 3 video cards GeForce GTX 260 for my 2nd PC that would be best to play any games and good for up to 5 years or so...
Unbelievably.. HA! Honest I don't know what you talk about 800x600 setting for games, because I am behind from PC gaming. And I don't knowledge about PC gaming and settings resolution screen like you do.. But that's very interesting about dual graphic cards & settings! Wow, that's very impressive! you are knowledge & a hardcore PC gamer..

Catty, try get the XFX brand they make good cards, but yeah i agree get at least the GT's..... dont piss about with the crippled cards , real waste of time this doesnt matter what generation series 7/8/9(nvidia) ......

I saw XFX brand at Microcenter on sale. Shoot! didn't have $$ ready for it. Eventually tho.

I would go and review updated graphic cards for Linux to see which is which can play Compiz 100%

Catty

7) Really?? If I put two graphic card installed in single PC, so i can hook two monitiors with single PC. You correct me if I am wrong?

Not neccessary, There are one graphic card with two jacks called "D-sub" or one D-stub and one "LCD monitor Jack".

My ATI Radeon 9000 Pro graphic card can connects two monitors, One directly from D-sub and other using dongle (LCD jack on graphic card to D-sub converter for CRT montior). I used that few years ago. Right now, don't have room for two monitors and also didn't need 2nd for one system tho.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/include/...dpNo=4128445&csid=ITD&Sku=P450-9616&imgcart=1

See that pix showing graphic card with two heads. That's Dual head. You can just buy one card to hook up two montior.

There are many brands with dual head. You just simply buy ONE graphic card of your choice with dual head and plug in your system and plug in two monitor to one graphic card. The Windows XP or Vista's Display Property setting will show two "monitors" like Monitor 1 and Monitor 2. You can configure it to set wide XP or Vista desktop on two monitor. Wish you good luck look for mouse pointer hidden in one of two monitor :lol: . You'll have to move mouse in circle to find pointer and follow it. :rofl:

Catty

Single video card can performs 2 monitors since they have 2 DVI input included, usually for GeForce 8, 9 and 200's series.

I read posters about LCD VS CRT.. There is none LCD better than CRT Monitor for whole rest.. However the hardcore gamers feel forced themselves buy LCD instead of CRT, Because CRT is no longer makings nor making many.. You guys know that CRT Monitor is STILL KING forever and ever!

There's still CRT on market, you can order via online.

Mixed of hardcore gamers prefer either CRT or LCD, LCD technology has improved and refresh rate is almost compare to CRT.

I don't bother to say king, however you can say it.

Here is my computer that I built in October of this year,

Motherboard - Intel DG45ID with HDMI and DVI graphics port

Processor - Intel Core2Duo 2.53 GHz

Memory - DDR2 4 GB 800 MHz

Harddrive - Samsung 750 GB SATA 7200 RPM

DVD/CD Drive - Samsung 20x Internal SATA burner/reader

OS - Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1

Monitor - Soyo 22inch Widescreen

Update:

Added more memory - DDR2 4 GB 800 MHz for total of 8 GB

Added another harddrive to use as backup - 200 Samsung GB SATA 7200 RPM

Haf 932

Show off my new rig! It's HAF 932!
CIMG2921.jpg

I plan to get those meet my wise budget, but i am not sure which one of hardware for gaming PC. I sometime will play video games on PC.

EVGA 9400GT 1GB PCI Video Card or XFX 9400GT 1GB PCI-Express Video Card -

BioStar MCP6P M2+ Motherboard or MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 AM2+ Motherboard NVIDIA GeForce 6150

AMD Phenom II X4 920 Bx or AMD Phenom™ X3 8650 BOX Triple-Core or AMD Athlon™ II X4 620 Box

Mid-tower case: HAF 922 (i am fan of cooler master) or keep my old tower case.

I would spend on those parts about $410, without HAF 922. With HAF 922 be about $520. economic gaming pc is better than ALIENWARE, HP, VOODOO PC GAMING for $1,200 to 4,000..

But i really DROOL the new design alienware case (2010), I wish that they selling alienware case only..

I hate Alienware's new cases, look smaller than before. I like the full tower case better, it's more easier to accessible, more room for bigger video cards, and running cooler.

XBGMR,

I know you hate Macs...but believe it or not...a iMac with a 256 MB VRAM Radeon video card has faster fps than a PC with a 1 GB VRAM Video card in a all in one PC....sad, huh?

So, bigger VRAM doesn't mean better...it depends how good the video card itself is....

I plan to get those meet my wise budget, but i am not sure which one of hardware for gaming PC. I sometime will play video games on PC.

EVGA 9400GT 1GB PCI Video Card or XFX 9400GT 1GB PCI-Express Video Card -

BioStar MCP6P M2+ Motherboard or MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 AM2+ Motherboard NVIDIA GeForce 6150

AMD Phenom II X4 920 Bx or AMD Phenom™ X3 8650 BOX Triple-Core or AMD Athlon™ II X4 620 Box

Mid-tower case: HAF 922 (i am fan of cooler master) or keep my old tower case.

I would spend on those parts about $410, without HAF 922. With HAF 922 be about $520. economic gaming pc is better than ALIENWARE, HP, VOODOO PC GAMING for $1,200 to 4,000..

But i really DROOL the new design alienware case (2010), I wish that they selling alienware case only..

I am fan of cooler master because of many fans in cases that help the heats out of case to keep motherboard/cpu cool. I have a HAF 932 as you see my picture :cool2: I see that HAF 922 is mid tower and mine HAF 932 is full tower because of my video card GTX 260 is big and very tight fit in my old mid case so I decided to bought HAF932 from Fry's Electronics.

ew on that machine... not the best

biostar isnt a good board ... i recommended for asus mobo. ill make wishlist from newegg.com that you would bet on it

XBGMR,

I know you hate Macs...but believe it or not...a iMac with a 256 MB VRAM Radeon video card has faster fps than a PC with a 1 GB VRAM Video card in a all in one PC....sad, huh?

So, bigger VRAM doesn't mean better...it depends how good the video card itself is....

Right. speed is about video core clock, video memory size, video memory interface, and video memory type. It not just VRAM.

Same idea V6 3.8L with DOHC is faster than V8 4.2L with OHV. Size do not matter.

Back