Should we move Thanksgiving (US) to January!

Yes. It was after Gettysburg that the proclamation was signed. I'm thinking Lincoln either saw a draw(war too costly for the North as the South hoped) or victory. Either way, he knew the Union would have to reconcile.

Still, it was before Lincoln gave Grant control of the Union army, so your point is well taken.
It's possible that Lincoln was also thinking ahead to the future.

I believe the war of 1812 was in Ontario. Both countries couldn't have "lost' the war- as the United States withdrew back to the USA. "Lost"?
Great Britain was "assisted" by a group led by person named Tecumseh.
Further info: the Government of Canada has publicized the 200th anniversary-recently.

I believe the war of 1812 was in Ontario. Both countries couldn't have "lost' the war- as the United States withdrew back to the USA. "Lost"?
Great Britain was "assisted" by a group led by person named Tecumseh.
Further info: the Government of Canada has publicized the 200th anniversary-recently.

The war was heavily fought in the U.S.:

List of War of 1812 Battles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, as in my above post, I think the fact that we did not capture northern colonies would make it a loss, but that is matter of opinion.

I was speaking militarily. The Colonies of the United States, for a second time, ended a war with Britain without military victory. Yes, we did push the British back in the Revolutionary War (called the War for Independence in England), and I'm not discounting those victories(we fought a tough fight). However, the United States (even in 1812) could not defeat Britain, a world superpower who ruled the seas on military alone. In the first war, the British abandoned the project because of war with France and other economic conditions. They did so again, after sacking Washington in the second war.

Both sides gained and lost in the war, the British with their North American colonies and the United States with it's land treaties west of the Mississippi River. The real people who lost are the Native Americans who took a huge gamble in that war. But, you can't discount that the United States tried to invade to take Canada and failed, it is a key point of the war as well.

On Topic: All of the above things led into what would become the Civil War after which Lincoln formalized Thanksgiving to heal not only North and South but also (hopefully at the time) issues with Native Americans as well.

Bold statement is that it is not true. We still suffered under him. There were no freedom for us when the Whites and the Government keep bugging us to changed our traditions, our hairs, our clothing, our ceremonies, our heritage and our languages all in order for us to be like them. Also we were not allowed to go outside of the reservations or reserves as long as the government agents make us suffered with lack of food. We were not allowed to hunt for food. We were threatened, took the children away from us to residential schools and the children were punished for speaking their native languages and some of the children were abused with sexual from the women who taught at the residential schools. It was a never ending abuse for all of us Native Americans over 500 years. Lincoln does nothing to saved us at all. Black people were the luckiest people to be saved by Lincoln. Someone just put the Native Americans in the picture with the Whites (even Pilgrims) to make the whites believe that Native Americans are free too. No, that is not true. We were never free. **sigh**

And now WalMart, KMart & Sears are going to be open Thanksgiving night. So there will be a lot of people who can't sit back and relax on Thanksgiving because they have to go to work for their greedy employers.

Abraham Lincoln proclaimed for it to occur on the final Thursday of November in order to bring unity between the North and the South during the Civil War. Unfortunately, both sides refused to cooperate and acknowledge this until after the war and the date was finally established after Reconstruction.

It wasn't until 70 years later when Franklin D Roosevelt made it the 4th Thursday of November in order to give the nation an annual economic boost.

So, that's the story... :deal: :)

Well, my post was really just a rant about how the Christmas Season begins earlier & earlier each year in stores. I saw Christmas advertisements in Oct and our local mall & some of the stores in it were already decorated for Christmas.
I know the feeling. I think Christmas has become too commercialized that people forget the real reasoning behind it. (There are many customs behind it.) I just like it because it's festive and I can be with my family. The same goes for Thanksgiving.

To make things easier for my family, we use Thanksgiving and Christmas as our time to be together. For Thanksgiving, we go out of town to be with my dad's family (it's huge with over 80 members). For Christmas, we stay in town to be with my mom's family (it's small with under 15 members).

And now WalMart, KMart & Sears are going to be open Thanksgiving night. So there will be a lot of people who can't sit back and relax on Thanksgiving because they have to go to work for their greedy employers.

It is worse than that.

K-Mart has been opening on Thanksgiving for many years in Southern Illinois. We no longer have a K-Mart in the town where I live but I pulled up K-Mart's site and checked a local ad for a neighboring community. It shows "The Triple Door Buster" and for the "in store" portion shows hours of 6am-4pm on Thanksgiving!

Walmart's online site shows stores opening at 8pm on Thanksgiving.

Sears site (we don't have a company owned store for them here either) says 8pm on Thanksgiving and open all night where permitted.

For me, I will refuse to work on Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Christmas so I spent a lot of time with my families. I don't care if they fire me for not work and the retail job is completely trashed.

It is worse than that.

K-Mart has been opening on Thanksgiving for many years in Southern Illinois. We no longer have a K-Mart in the town where I live but I pulled up K-Mart's site and checked a local ad for a neighboring community. It shows "The Triple Door Buster" and for the "in store" portion shows hours of 6am-4pm on Thanksgiving!

Walmart's online site shows stores opening at 8pm on Thanksgiving.

Sears site (we don't have a company owned store for them here either) says 8pm on Thanksgiving and open all night where permitted.
Really? Whenever I went out to buy cigarettes on Thanksgiving and X-mas after 5 pm, every places were closed except 7-11 stores.

Instead of complaining about it, do something about it. Don't go shopping on Thanksgiving Day. It's that simple. If many of us boycotted shopping on the holidays, then the big fat CEOS might just realized we're smarter than they are.

Instead of complaining about it, do something about it. Don't go shopping on Thanksgiving Day. It's that simple. If many of us boycotted shopping on the holidays, then the big fat CEOS might just realized we're smarter than they are.
Well, alot of customers always look for good deals so they will probably show up regardless of what you said. Walmart will sell Vizio 60 inches LED Smart TV for $688 (very cheap for TV that big) on Thanksgiving night. I am sure many people will go to get one.

Well, alot of customers always look for good deals so they will probably show up regardless of what you said. Walmart will sell Vizio 60 inches LED Smart TV for $688 (very cheap for TV that big) on Thanksgiving night. I am sure many people will go to get one.

My point exactly.... the big fat CEOs know what make people tick. If we just say "nah, I'll buy the tv on sale on another time (sales occurs frequently through the year), imagine what the CEOs will do. I would not go for the cheap sale on holidays... maybe few days after the holidays (never on Black Friday - crazy experience).

My point exactly.... the big fat CEOs know what make people tick. If we just say "nah, I'll buy the tv on sale on another time (sales occurs frequently through the year), imagine what the CEOs will do. I would not go for the cheap sale on holidays... maybe few days after the holidays (never on Black Friday - crazy experience).
Right.

Also, the super good deals are loss leaders. The stores don't stock enough of them for everyone. Realistically, most people who show up aren't going to get the super deals. The stores depend on the shoppers staying at the stores and picking up items other than the super sale items.

I like that Thanksgiving is before Christmas. It is the one thing holding holding people back a little. Someone mentioned moving it to the 4th of January...can't do that. Technically, Christmas goes for 12 days. Last day of Christmas is the 5th.

As far as Black Friday..this is my first year in retail. I'll be spending Thanksgiving writing my will in case I get trampled by crazed crafters (I work in an A.C. Moore).

Right.

Also, the super good deals are loss leaders. The stores don't stock enough of them for everyone. Realistically, most people who show up aren't going to get the super deals. The stores depend on the shoppers staying at the stores and picking up items other than the super sale items.
That's true. Most stores don't stock more than 10 same items which are on sale like 60" HDTV so that means the first 10 customers would be lucky to get one but they have to race like crazy.

Back