Should we move Thanksgiving (US) to January!

Even though I do have a good share of native American ancestry, I would like to point out that almost all peoples have been conquered by an invading power at some point in history. This is far from a unique situation.

but you not see them celebrating the people that conquered their country. I do not know of one Jewish person that celebrate Hitler's birthday!

For those who starts decorating stores with Christmas decorations....do we really cares how other people run their business? If they want to have Christmas decorations around Thanksgivings, ok fine. They're running a business. Their money, not ours.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that will spend time on Thanksgivings watching football. They may not bother to observe the real meaning of Thanksgivings or ignore it completely. Many people may think that football on Thanksgivings is special, but they would watch football just about any time, not Thanksgivings.

I'm sure that there are a lot of Cowboys and Lions fan that does NOT celebrate Thanksgivings, but they'll still watch their beloved team play.

On Thanksgiving Day, our family gets together for fellowship and feasting but first of all to thank God for another year of His provision and blessing.

Short answer ~ no.

I like the time of year that it falls on, because it is right after harvest. That was part of the reason the current date was used, to reflect and give thanks on the bountiful harvest. I really don't care about the football aspect of it.

January suggestion would interfere with Valentine's Day promotions. Maybe we can try mid-August, when everyone has a garden full of goodies. Would that interfere with "back to school" sales? :hmm:

what do you like and celerbrate more indpendence day or thanks giving

it's hopeless trying to move thanksgiving just because stores market Christmas stuff very early on. I know around me, the supermarket were already selling wreaths and tinsel right next to the Halloween candy in September.

The bigger problem here is the habits of the consumer. Stop buying premade useless junk to celebrate holidays. When demand goes down, stores will stop being so ridiculous with their marketing campaigns.

Assassin's Creed 3 doesn't mention about War of 1812, but it is just about American Revolution (1753 to 1783).

I know, my point is that 'Connor' is going to find that he stabbed a lot of people in the neck and then backflipped out the window only to be double crossed by the US.

it's hopeless trying to move thanksgiving just because stores market Christmas stuff very early on. I know around me, the supermarket were already selling wreaths and tinsel right next to the Halloween candy in September.

The bigger problem here is the habits of the consumer. Stop buying premade useless junk to celebrate holidays. When demand goes down, stores will stop being so ridiculous with their marketing campaigns.

Selling Christmas decorations is ok by me, even year round, because people just starting out in their own homes (or who have lost their stuff due to fires, floods, etc) will want to buy a lot of new stuff and that can be costly, so being able to buy throughout the year is ok with me.

What I don't like, and saw this past Saturday, are stores that have already set up their store decorations.

I am a Christian and celebrate Christmas (both religiously & secularly), but there are many people who do not celebrate Christmas and I don't feel they should have to put up with nearly 2 months of looking at Christmas decorations when they go shopping.

That's how wars are actually won. Just sayin...

Not this one as in the War of 1812, both of them lost. Nobody win on both side. Get it!!!! That is the only war that had not won at all and this is the first time on this. :cool2:

Not this one as in the War of 1812, both of them lost. Nobody win on both side. Get it!!!! That is the only war that had not won at all and this is the first time on this. :cool2:

We didn't win the Vietnam war and the communist already conquered Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia (until 1993 when monarchy restored).

I say that we who celebrate Thanksgiving should extend that delicious day to the last Thurday of EVERY month!! There I said it.

On a side note: Now that we are talking about moving dates, did you know that the Declaration of Independence was ACTUALLY signed on July 2, 1776; and not on July 4th!!

All those poor firecracker corner dealers must pitch their tents two days early. Poor fellows...I feel for them.

And let's not get into the Cinco de Mayo offset either. America needs a time machine to align birthday celebrations correctly.

Cinco de Mayo or May 5th should be Dieciséis de Septiembre or September 16th, the true day of Mexico's Independence.

So there...

_

_

first to respond to that quote - noway! There would be some people still workinng and harvesting until end of october, we need a break . 14-18 hours days running the combine in the mud is not my idea of fun. After th harvest is done - I would want a couple weeks to recover and collect firewood in time for winter.
But after your family has that big thanksgiving dinner, they could all go out into the fields and help you around the fields. Free manpower for a free dinner!

For those who starts decorating stores with Christmas decorations....do we really cares how other people run their business? If they want to have Christmas decorations around Thanksgivings, ok fine. They're running a business. Their money, not ours.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that will spend time on Thanksgivings watching football. They may not bother to observe the real meaning of Thanksgivings or ignore it completely. Many people may think that football on Thanksgivings is special, but they would watch football just about any time, not Thanksgivings.

I'm sure that there are a lot of Cowboys and Lions fan that does NOT celebrate Thanksgivings, but they'll still watch their beloved team play.

The stores are after OUR money and that is why they put up Christmas decorations way before it Christmas is here.

Original Thanksgiving was suppose have every Thurs of November. They change to one Thanksgiving in early 1910s or 1920s something.

Original Thanksgiving was suppose have every Thurs of November. They change to one Thanksgiving in early 1910s or 1920s something.
That's a lot of turkey! :shock:

Short answer ~ no.

I like the time of year that it falls on, because it is right after harvest. That was part of the reason the current date was used, to reflect and give thanks on the bountiful harvest. I really don't care about the football aspect of it.

January suggestion would interfere with Valentine's Day promotions. Maybe we can try mid-August, when everyone has a garden full of goodies. Would that interfere with "back to school" sales? :hmm:

Probably and make kids hate Thanksgiving because it would mean it is time to go back to school. lol

Short answer ~ no.

Probably and make kids hate Thanksgiving because it would mean it is time to go back to school. lol

With a very early September birthday I dealt with this in connection with Labor Day (in USA). When I was in school we started right after the Labor Day weekend. Sometimes that starting date was even on my birthday!

Later as a bookkeeper I had a mixed reaction to "The Holidays" as it also meant that January was close. And January included many year end forms such as W2s to be gotten out within the month.

I was speaking militarily. The Colonies of the United States, for a second time, ended a war with Britain without military victory. Yes, we did push the British back in the Revolutionary War (called the War for Independence in England), and I'm not discounting those victories(we fought a tough fight). However, the United States (even in 1812) could not defeat Britain, a world superpower who ruled the seas on military alone. In the first war, the British abandoned the project because of war with France and other economic conditions. They did so again, after sacking Washington in the second war.

Both sides gained and lost in the war, the British with their North American colonies and the United States with it's land treaties west of the Mississippi River. The real people who lost are the Native Americans who took a huge gamble in that war. But, you can't discount that the United States tried to invade to take Canada and failed, it is a key point of the war as well.

On Topic: All of the above things led into what would become the Civil War after which Lincoln formalized Thanksgiving to heal not only North and South but also (hopefully at the time) issues with Native Americans as well.

...Reba is correct, Lincoln formalized thanksgiving as a way of healing the country after the civil war....
Just to be clear, the proclamation was in 1863, and the war ended in 1865, so at that point the war was still being fought.

Just to be clear, the proclamation was in 1863, and the war ended in 1865, so at that point the war was still being fought.

Yes. It was after Gettysburg that the proclamation was signed. I'm thinking Lincoln either saw a draw(war too costly for the North as the South hoped) or victory. Either way, he knew the Union would have to reconcile.

Still, it was before Lincoln gave Grant control of the Union army, so your point is well taken.

Back