Should I Get An Implant?

Funny I couldn't load the vid on my pic but it did load on my iPhone. Event sponsored by Deaf, Inc. Been to events at the MA locations. Nice Deaf org.

alright..
thank you...

i actually do appreciate it..
moving along..
sheeeeeeesh...

aweet_princess I mainly thought of you when I saw this on TV but am posting it here with the thought that others will be interested also. This is from Channel 4 (the CBS station) out of St. Louis, MO and Fenton is a suburb. There is video included which has captions that you need to turn on if you want them. There is an error in the recorded captions that was not in one of the rebroadcasts that I saw. The dentist did not get a CI until she was 30.
http://www.kmov.com/story/32505787/fenton-dentist-office-dedicates-day-to-giving-deaf-people-a-smile

That was a good video. I haven't said what field of medicine I will be working in but it is important that if you are dealing with somes life you need to have a full understanding and make sure the person you are treating has a full understanding. I'm not sure why she got implanted but to wait until 30 it could possibly be for the same reasons as mine.

no im just stating in the end, the choice has to remain yours, or by definition its not your choice.
if one gives another person the final word, by definition they are relinquishing choice.

You have to be specific in what you are saying. Because now I am truly confused.
Either I am an idiot and against medical doctor advice decide to implant useless ear "because in the end the choice is mine",
OR I listen to someone who is qualified where I am not, and go with professional advice. So which it is?

Fuzzy

You have to be specific in what you are saying. Because now I am truly confused.
Either I am an idiot and against medical doctor advice decide to implant useless ear "because in the end the choice is mine",
OR I listen to someone who is qualified where I am not, and go with professional advice. So which it is?

Fuzzy

the "which is it" is entirely up to you...that's what actually having choice means..
choice doesn't mean blindly following a professional at their whims..especially when those very professionals have large stakes in the very products being pushed..
NO
that's not choice at all.
choice means you have the power to decide and YOU decide..

so the myth of it goes...

the "which is it" is entirely up to you...that's what actually having choice means..
choice doesn't mean blindly following a professional at their whims..especially when those very professionals have large stakes in the very products being pushed..
NO
that's not choice at all.
choice means you have the power to decide and YOU decide..

so the myth of it goes...

I think you backed yourself into a corner. Your reply make no sense to me.
Because what you are saying is - I should decide whichever ear I want to implant not the doctor,
even though I have no medical training whatsoever, and deciding this upon myself I can actually seriously harm myself.

Fuzzy

I think you backed yourself into a corner. Your reply make no sense to me.
Because what you are saying is - I should decide whichever ear I want to implant not the doctor,
even though I have no medical training whatsoever, and deciding this upon myself I can actually seriously harm myself.

Fuzzy

im in no corner. not at all.
my statements have rested on your choice of words you stated this.

I
the last word belongs to the doctor

all i was stating was in regards to this statement.

if someone other then you, ie the doctor has the final word as you claim, then by definition you do not have that choice, the other person with the final word does.

think it through using the standard english definitions of the words..
anyway

im in no corner. not at all.
my statements have rested on your choice of words you stated this.

all i was stating was in regards to this statement.

if someone other then you, ie the doctor has the final word as you claim, then by definition you do not have that choice, the other person with the final word does.

think it through using the standard english definitions of the words..
anyway

Yes, exactly, I was referring to the fact that it needs to be a doctor who chooses which ear is more suitable for implantation.
Pray tell me Hoichi, why should I be better qualified to do that?

Fuzzy

Yes, exactly, I was referring to the fact that it needs to be a doctor who chooses which ear is more suitable for implantation.
Pray tell me Hoichi, why should I be better qualified to do that?

Fuzzy

its not one of qualifications . qualifications are important int he process of actual making the choice. yes indeed.
but int he end freedom is freedom and the choice if it is a choice must rest with you.

no one else. or if someone has that final word then by definition they have that choice not you.

no reason to go in circles though,, i accept its a post modern world as such words can mean anything people want them too sadly..
so be it..

Hoichi: its not one of qualifications . qualifications are important int he process of actual making the choice. yes indeed.
You could have stated that right away clearly, because I was relating to the "which ear" ever since you said "if you let the doctor chose.." etc.
Unnecessarily muddying discussion with unrelated subject, particularly with
but int he end freedom is freedom and the choice if it is a choice must rest with you
when we talked about "ear"
only confuses the point, and the whole rigmarole could have been avoided long ago. try to keep in mind this, please, at least with me
as I am very linear conversationalist :)

Fuzzy

You could have stated that right away clearly, because I was relating to the "which ear" ever since you said "if you let the doctor chose.." etc.
Unnecessarily muddying discussion with unrelated subject, particularly with
when we talked about "ear"
only confuses the point, and the whole rigmarole could have been avoided long ago. try to keep in mind this, please, at least with me
as I am very linear conversationalist :)

Fuzzy

alright

no, really? I was serious, I AM very linear, so if say one thing and in the same breath add another I treat it as the same and it confuses me. so if you are also serious we truly could avoid too many going in circles :)
and, thanks :)

Fuzzy

ps
I do try to keep in mind not everyone thinks as me, but it's hard.

no, really? I was serious, I AM very linear, so if say one thing and in the same breath add another I treat it as the same and it confuses me. so if you are also serious we truly could avoid too many going in circles :)
and, thanks :)

Fuzzy

no plm

Hello, hopefully the OP visits again after all this useless bickering.......but

I have progressive as well. It started 21 years when I was 20 in my left ear, and when I was 26ish in my right. I am now no response, no hearing left at all, whatsoever.

During the course of its progression my left ear was worse throughout, since it started there first. For quite a few years I was profound in my left and severe in my right and only wore a hearing aid for that severe ear. I didn't even get a ha for that left ear until my hearing started going in my right, I just relied on my good ear. For the 20 years I was losing it I was only aided in that left ear for maybe 6 years?

Anyway tomorrow is my implant anniversary, one year ago I got one. I chose to have my good ear implanted. For one thing, there was no hearing to "save". But mostly because it's the side that the best exposure to speech. From what I understood learning to hear with a CI was hard enough. I wanted that leg up implanting the ear that the nerve had the most exposure, the ear aid been relying on most.

I would do again too. I understood speech right away and spent 0 time rehabbing. I just wore the thing and went about my business and listened.....and understood. I'm not convinced my experience would have been as easy if I had chosen my "bad" ear.

Now warning, I may have lost all my hearing but my results aren't typical. I had 20 years history of being 100% hearing and good 16 years of ha use, and by good I mean affective for speech. The last 4ish was a struggle, and the last year of that 4 being......my ha was just accessory hahaha a VERY expensive accessory that I just wished worked.

wow...
now thats a face i haven't seen in a long time...
Hi ambrosia!!
hope your doin wicked....

But mostly because it's the side that the best exposure to speech. From what I understood learning to hear with a CI was hard enough. I wanted that leg up implanting the ear that the nerve had the most exposure, the ear aid been relying on most.

I would do again too. I understood speech right away and spent 0 time rehabbing. I just wore the thing and went about my business and listened.....and understood. I'm not convinced my experience would have been as easy if I had chosen my "bad" ear.

I am curious, what was your dr opinion about that? (more exposure, better results?)

Fuzzy

Back