Should I fight for an interpreter?

I don't think she was asking anyone to make decisions for her, but to weigh in on what you think she should do, what your experience has been, and whether or not you think her request of the district was unreasonable, as others had told her.

But, looks like cause for celebration!

Very similar to my reaction. The idea that an exchange viewpoints can often make a person think of something they wouldn't alone. Bouncing ideas off each other can result in ideas that none would think of alone. I am not sure how clearly I am expressing this.

Battles with school districts can go on forever. Didn't one of the posts in the other thread about the 18-year-old graduating with grade school level math and reading say that lawsuit had already cost the school district nearly a quarter-million dollars? Would have been cheaper for them to have done their job in the first place.

Meanwhile, this child we're talking about does not have time to waste while the grown-ups fight. If there is a plan B - like paying for the interpreters one's self, or paying for an FM system that works, whatever - seems to me it's worth doing. And then add the costs of that into a lawsuit against the school, if need be.

Something like the concept of pedestrians always have the right of way in the crosswalk. It's still a good idea to wait and look for traffic before blithely setting foot off the curb.

By doing that, it would give the school the impression that they can get away with giving minimal accodomations.

*hence my reasons for HATING mainstreaming...just for that very reason most of all among others*

By doing that, it would give the school the impression that they can get away with giving minimal accodomations.

*hence my reasons for HATING mainstreaming...just for that very reason most of all among others*

Not if they ended up losing a lawsuit!

But looks like the whole thing is moot, anyway. Congrats, Csign! That is wonderful news. Hope your son has a wonderful time at science camp.

But looks like the whole thing is moot, anyway. Congrats, Csign! That is wonderful news. Hope your son has a wonderful time at science camp.

I mean the part about you saying about the parent paying for the interpreter as a plan B. That's very very sticky because it could give public schools the idea that it is ok and expect all parents to provide the cost of the interpreters which most parents wouldnt be able to afford to.

I don't think she was asking anyone to make decisions for her, but to weigh in on what you think she should do, what your experience has been, and whether or not you think her request of the district was unreasonable, as others had told her.

But, looks like cause for celebration!

How could that which is legal be unreasonable when it comes to the education of a child? Especially considering how many years it took to get that law into place. That is just the part I don't understand. Asking for an extra-curricular terp is no more unreasonable than asking for an academic one.

I mean the part about you saying about the parent paying for the interpreter as a plan B. That's very very sticky because it could give public schools the idea that it is ok and expect all parents to provide the cost of the interpreters which most parents wouldnt be able to afford to.

Or just letting it drop. That is why the mainsteam schools still try to get away with this stuff. Too many parents have just dropped the ball and given up the fight.

Or just letting it drop. That is why the mainsteam schools still try to get away with this stuff. Too many parents have just dropped the ball and given up the fight.

You dont have to tell me. Boy do I know a LOT about that!!!

Yes, that could be a risky precedent. That and using family members to interpret for activities can backfire.

Hence, why I said several posts back that threat of due process generally got the job done. These things happen in the mainsteam all the time.

Yes, that could be a risky precedent. That and using family members to interpret for activities can backfire.

**nodding** I would never, ever recommend that a client do that.

You dont have to tell me. Boy do I know a LOT about that!!!

Yep, me too. Unfortunately, in serving the kids I do, I also see too many that need services they aren't getting because the parent will not demand what their child is entitled to. If the school can get away with not doing it, they will.

Using family as terps? :eek3: That's just about the last thing a school should do.

Last edited:

Nah....it would still be the law.....and who knows, perhaps a better system would come from it. :shrug*

Nah....it would still be the law.....and who knows, perhaps a better system would come from it. :shrug*

You arent really making any sense. I am not sure if you really understand the legalities of the educational system and the risks of setting a bad predecent. My personal experience as a professional shows the opposite of what you are saying if my interpretation of your post is correct.

lol I'm seeing TXGolfer's getting a lot of flak and I can see why but apparently TXGolfer doesn't.

simple - you don't have any experience with this specific thing. and no - "something similar" doesn't count.

You arent really making any sense. I am not sure if you really understand the legalities of the educational system and the risks of setting a bad predecent. My personal experience as a professional shows the opposite of what you are saying if my interpretation of your post is correct.

:lol: I am not sure you do..... A person paying for their own terp in no way sets a LEGAL Precedent. The law would still be in place for others.

Using family as terps? :eek3: That's just about the last thing a school should do.

But you would be surprised how many times it happens, especially for extra curricular activities. The school figures, "Hey, let big sister terp. Saves us the trouble of finding, hiring, and paying a terp". And also gives the school legal standing for saying that the parent agreed not to have a terp supplied by the school by allowing a family member to do it.

Add my experience to yours. And then add Reba's to both of ours. Lots a years of experience there.:giggle:

:lol: I am not sure you do..... A person paying for their own terp in no way sets a LEGAL Precedent. The law would still be in place for others.

I do hope it never falls to you to ensure that a deaf kid gets the education he is entitled to.:roll:

Back