Should I fight for an interpreter?

lol I'm seeing TXGolfer's getting a lot of flak and I can see why but apparently TXGolfer doesn't.

simple - you don't have any experience with this specific thing. and no - "something similar" doesn't count.

That is it in a nutshell.

lol I'm seeing TXGolfer's getting a lot of flak and I can see why but apparently TXGolfer doesn't.

simple - you don't have any experience with this specific thing. and no - "something similar" doesn't count.

Experience in???? Fundraising? Plan B's? Not depending on "the system"?

I mean I already stated the obvious.....the child has a legal right.... And my first statement was fight for it. *shrug* some of us parents prefer to do more than just blame the system when our kids are involved. If the parent wants to fight for their rights.... Great! If a parent wants to look for alternatives.... Great! Both? Great!

feel free to chime in again when you have raised a kid....I think you are lacking a little experience there. :lol:

BTW....in case you missed it. She won.

Experience in???? Fundraising? Plan B's? Not depending on "the system"?
disability accommodation at school

I mean I already stated the obvious.....the child has a legal right.... And my first statement was fight for it. *shrug* some of us parents prefer to do more than just blame the system when our kids are involved. If the parent wants to fight for their rights.... Great! If a parent wants to look for alternatives.... Great! Both? Great!

feel free to chime in again when you have raised a kid....I think you are lacking a little experience there. :lol:
But you don't have any experience with raising a deaf child and fighting for deaf kid's rights to accommodation on constant basis. My experience with this is certainly not lacking... because I went thru it half of my life.

BTW....in case you missed it. She won.
she won because of advices we, as deaf individuals, have given to her... not from yours.

But you don't have any experience with raising a deaf child and fighting for deaf kid's rights to accommodation on constant basis. My experience with this is certainly not lacking... because I went thru it half of my life.

she won because of advices we, as deaf individuals, have given to her... not from yours.

Umm.....I advised she fight it too. :wave:

Count a hearie in there, too!:giggle: I predicted this is exactly what would happen. Go in prepared to go to due process, and the school backs down. Been there done that too many times for too many deaf kids. No one involved in this area would ever advise a parent to find another plan. No, no. Very bad move.

Count a hearie in there, too!:giggle: I predicted this is exactly what would happen. Go in prepared to go to due process, and the school backs down. Been there done that too many times for too many deaf kids. No one involved in this area would ever advise a parent to find another plan. No, no. Very bad move.

No back up plan? How foolish. Oh well. *shrug*. Luckily this happened quickly.

Meh. I knew they would back down. I don't think they would have if she assured them she had a backup plan. :hmm:

No back up plan? How foolish. Oh well. *shrug*. Luckily this happened quickly.

well - back-up plan is not needed because the law is already there. because of that - csign's situation was resolved quickly. It's just damn sleezy of them to hope csign and other parents like csign to just "go away quietly" without a fight and they were betting on them not be well-informed of existing laws. It's typical sleezy "win lot, lose some" tactic.

now because of our advices and experience, csign won without difficulty.

yes. with wrong advice.

*shrug*. You are welcome to your opinion of course. But we both said fight it If this had gotten hung up in court you advice would have sucked for the child while the fight was going on. Mine was good either way. :)

luckily it went quickly. :)

*shrug*. You are welcome to your opinion of course. But we both said fight it If this had gotten hung up in court you advice would have sucked for the child while the fight was going on. Mine was good either way. :)

The child would have been provided services while the case was in court. I already outlined the way that works several posts back.

well - back-up plan is not needed because the law is already there. because of that - csign's situation was resolved quickly. It's just damn sleezy of them to hope csign and other parents like csign to just "go away quietly" without a fight and they were betting on them not be well-informed of existing laws. It's typical sleezy "win lot, lose some" tactic.

now because of our advices and experience, csign won without difficulty.

I hope she will appreciates it and remebers that in the future.

TXGolfer...you suggested her to pay for a terp as a backup plan. That's a BIG no-no knowing how educational politics works. That was very dangerous advice you gave.

I wasn't looking for legal advice. I know what my Childs rights are. I was looking for people to affirm or negate the importance of a terp in sports and extra curricular activities. Like I said, I've been made to feel guilty for requesting it at the last meeting. I was hoping for some people to say either; yes it is important and it would be helpful or not.

I know it would be beneficial for him. I just needed some positive to balance out the negative I've encountered. Obviously that was an error in judgement on my part.

So, you want us to pat you on the back and tell you're a good parent if you decide to fight for your kids' rights? That's some backbone you got there!

You really, really need to toughen up and just DO IT IF YOU think it's in your kids best interest. If not, then drop it. As we've said, it's not our decision to make. It's yours and our input shouldn't mean a hill of beans to you or have any bearing on your decision.

I'm glad you put us in such high esteem, but we're NOT Gods. We're just people with differing opinions. Now, if you want OPINIONS, you will get them. The good, the bad, and everything in between. Everything on a MESSAGE BOARD needs to be taken with a degree of salt. If it's not, then you've already screwed yourself over.

Two things.....yes you should fight for it. But there may be more than one way to fight. I would fight the district but would also seek creative ways to raise funds at the same time. Given the budget cuts in California schools you are going to catch ALOT of flak. That doesn't mean your child doesn't deserve the terp though. If you need ideas feel free to PM me.

*shrug*. One of the first to say it

opinion? I don't have any opinion... just advice because the law is already there in place for this kind of thing.

this kind of thing is not about opinion... it's a matter of legality.

Two things.....yes you should fight for it. But there may be more than one way to fight. I would fight the district but would also seek creative ways to raise funds at the same time. Given the budget cuts in California schools you are going to catch ALOT of flak. That doesn't mean your child doesn't deserve the terp though. If you need ideas feel free to PM me.

1. parents should not be seeking creative ways to raise funds for school to effectively provide accommodation
2. parents should not be raising fund for school to effectively provide accommodation
3. parents should not be catching some flaks because their kid's accommodation was costing money for school

all in all - it's illegal to deny one due to budget issue and it's illegal to discriminate.

Yes, indeed. You said it first.

Perhaps this is a case of selective memory for those doing the tut tuts?

see post #127.

fight for it. specifically how? that's the thing. wrong advice. and didn't even state the existing law that csign could use.

Back