Should I fight for an interpreter?

Fight for it.

that is correct beat to fight to interpreter

I agree you!

I already fight to struggle to patient try

Don't be give up keep work hard struggle on beat to interpreter will fail

Yes, fight for an interpreter.

Not just for your son, but for all parents who may send their deaf kids to the same school.

And also to show your son he has the right to have access to such services.

I was so self-conscious about appearing "special" or worse "needy" that I pretended I didn't need any help at all and man, that was stupid. You see, I was born in the 70s, political correctness wasn't such a big trend back then so all throughout elementary school, I was called dumb, dummy, stupid because of that blasted "deaf and dumb" thing. To prove them wrong, I had to be the best student and I was, I skipped a grade actually, and my pride was so strong that I never once asked for help. But there's another reason I did so well in class, I was bored! No idea what the teacher was saying so when I was finished with a chapter, I went onto the next one and kept going till the bell rang.

4 years of university bored out of my mind in the classroom. I skipped half of the classes and just studied at home. then when I learn from my classmates about the interesting discussions they had in class, that really expanded the subject they were studying, I thought, damnit, should have gotten an FM system or an interpreter so I could follow such interesting exchange of viewpoints."

If only I knew then what I know now - asking for help does not mean I am asking for more privileges that would make other people think I am getting an unfair advantage. No, asking for help means saying "lookit, I can't hear. But I did hear you've got FM systems, interpreters, note takers. Where can I sign up?"

I wonder who was the first person who demanded that those resources be available at my university? Was it someone like you? Someone who saw that there was a need and demanded it be met.

So, yes, fight for an interpreter so deaf people less stupid than me would take advantage of having such a resource at your son's school thanks to you.

Yes, fight for an interpreter.

Not just for your son, but for all parents who may send their deaf kids to the same school.

And also to show your son he has the right to have access to such services.

I was so self-conscious about appearing "special" or worse "needy" that I pretended I didn't need any help at all and man, that was stupid. You see, I was born in the 70s, political correctness wasn't such a big trend back then so all throughout elementary school, I was called dumb, dummy, stupid because of that blasted "deaf and dumb" thing. To prove them wrong, I had to be the best student and I was, I skipped a grade actually, and my pride was so strong that I never once asked for help. But there's another reason I did so well in class, I was bored! No idea what the teacher was saying so when I was finished with a chapter, I went onto the next one and kept going till the bell rang.

4 years of university bored out of my mind in the classroom. I skipped half of the classes and just studied at home. then when I learn from my classmates about the interesting discussions they had in class, that really expanded the subject they were studying, I thought, damnit, should have gotten an FM system or an interpreter so I could follow such interesting exchange of viewpoints."

If only I knew then what I know now - asking for help does not mean I am asking for more privileges that would make other people think I am getting an unfair advantage. No, asking for help means saying "lookit, I can't hear. But I did hear you've got FM systems, interpreters, note takers. Where can I sign up?"

I wonder who was the first person who demanded that those resources be available at my university? Was it someone like you? Someone who saw that there was a need and demanded it be met.

So, yes, fight for an interpreter so deaf people less stupid than me would take advantage of having such a resource at your son's school thanks to you.

I find it hard to ask for help because I got the impression during my mainstream days that asking for help was the worst thing that I could. My brother and sisters didn't need help so I shouldn't need help either. My parents resented that I needed help in areas that my siblings sailed thru.

Now I have no problems with terps and that kind of things but I still don't like to ask my neighbor to help me with calls.

It is illegal to deny a terp based on funding issues.

Do you have a point? All I said was she will catch alot of flak.....Not just from the district either. No reason to troll me here......I am offering help which is more than you can say. *shrug*

Do you have a point? All I said was she will catch alot of flak.....Not just from the district either. No reason to troll me here......I am offering help which is more than you can say. *shrug*

Actually, she does. She's given CSign a legal argument to use if the district bases a denial due to budget cuts and lack of funding.

You were the one to bring up the budget cuts on the previous page. Funny, though, that had I been the one to post a reply about it being illegal to deny based on funding, your reply to me would've been entirely different.

When I was on my high school soccer team, I wished many times for an interpreter. My school would not provide one for extracurricular activities and my interpreter had to volunteer few times. My teammates were a huge help whenever I didn't have an interpreter though, but I constantly felt left out.

I say, fight for it and your son will thank you for it later on.

Thanks to those who gave productive answers.
The reality is that I have been made to feel bad about requesting a terp for extracurricular activities. People have given me a hard time given the budget cuts, and the fact that it's not a "school" activity.

I know what my sons rights are, and have the relevant Ed codes to support our position. I was really hoping for some affirmation that it is crucial- even though it's not a school sponsored event. I know in my head what I'm going to do, but I was looking for some positive to balance out the negative I've been subject to in real life.

I should have known better than to think that done individuals would pass up this thread instead of giving me sh*t about it.

I already made my intentions clear to those close to me that I will file a compliance complaint if they don't agree. I have no problem asserting my sons rights and fighting the district. I've filed for due process before, and I'd do it again. I've filed a compliance complaint, and was successful in both endeavors.

I should have titled the thread differently, as I always will fight for my son.

So don't make this about me not caring for my child. I would give him my heart if that
meant saving his life.

Huh are you kidding me? Why did you think this way with deaf kids who attends to the deaf schools yet never been assiociate with hearng peers. Please don't think that way. I went to deaf school all my life and still managed to participate both deaf sports and hearing sports. I even joined both deaf and hearing girl scouts. And then I am in the work field with hearing peers. So please don't think that way with deaf kids who go to deaf schools that have never been assiociate with hearing peers. They do.

Of course I don't think that. That was my point.

The reality is that I have been made to feel bad about requesting a terp for extracurricular activities. People have given me a hard time given the budget cuts, and the fact that it's not a "school" activity.
I know what my sons rights are, and have the relevant Ed codes to support our position. I was really hoping for some affirmation that it is crucial- even though it's not a school sponsored event. I know in my head what I'm going to do, but I was looking for some positive to balance out the negative I've been subject to in real life.

I should have known better than to think that done individuals would pass up this thread instead of giving me sh*t about it.

I already made my intentions clear to those close to me that I will file a compliance complaint if they don't agree. I have no problem asserting my sons rights and fighting the district. I've filed for due process before, and I'd do it again. I've filed a compliance complaint, and was successful in both endeavors.

So don't make this about me not caring for my child. I would give him my heart if that
meant saving his life.

If it's extra-curricular (by which I'm thinking that means *at the school,* or *school-affiliated,*, like drama or sports or clubs that meet after school hours, how would that not be "a school activity?" Most extra-curriculars take place after school hours, don't they? Unless you're talking about church-affiliated Boy Scouts or something, I don't understand how anything that is related to stuff the school offers would not be a school activity.

And obviously I think you should keep bugging the relevant authorities until they come through with whatever it is your son needs.

Of course I don't think that. That was my point.

That was unnnecessary for you to make your point. You were jmaking a statement for this certain person and that still applies to others as well. That was where I jumped in to correct your point of views with deaf kids who go to deaf school. I had no interpreter with hearing sports and It went fine for me.

Welcome back ocean! Agreed. Big question, though, is how she can make her case if they are asking. Seems like someone here must have encountered this need in the past and made a case that would stick.

In that case, she would have to consult a professional who could direct her. We are not qualified on dealing with he law (except for maybe, Souggy). We can only give opinions on here. If she wants a professional opinion about whether or not it's worth fighting for, then she needs to find it "on the ground". We're not in a position to give good advice.

And, thank you for the welcome back. :) I should have sent you a PM, but maybe not?

In that case, she would have to consult a professional who could direct her. We are not qualified on dealing with he law (except for maybe, Souggy). We can only give opinions on here. If she wants a professional opinion about whether or not it's worth fighting for, then she needs to find it "on the ground". We're not in a position to give good advice.

And, thank you for the welcome back. :) I should have sent you a PM, but maybe not?

I wasn't looking for legal advice. I know what my Childs rights are. I was looking for people to affirm or negate the importance of a terp in sports and extra curricular activities. Like I said, I've been made to feel guilty for requesting it at the last meeting. I was hoping for some people to say either; yes it is important and it would be helpful or not.

I know it would be beneficial for him. I just needed some positive to balance out the negative I've encountered. Obviously that was an error in judgement on my part.

If it's extra-curricular (by which I'm thinking that means *at the school,* or *school-affiliated,*, like drama or sports or clubs that meet after school hours, how would that not be "a school activity?" Most extra-curriculars take place after school hours, don't they? Unless you're talking about church-affiliated Boy Scouts or something, I don't understand how anything that is related to stuff the school offers would not be a school activity.

And obviously I think you should keep bugging the relevant authorities until they come through with whatever it is your son needs.

She is in California.....it's different here right now. The budget crisis here is much worse than most of the country and the education cuts have turned very nasty.....

I think what she is asking is "is it worth it to put your kid through being that kid" during a time of so much animosity. At least that is the way I took it.

I cou

She is in California.....it's different here right now. The budget crisis here is much worse than most of the country and the education cuts have turned very nasty.....

I think what she is asking is "is it worth it to put your kid through being that kid" during a time of so much animosity. At least that is the way I took it.

I cou

Wha' happened, Terminator got you in mid-sentence for criticizing the great state of California?? :shock:

Wha' happened, Terminator got you in mid-sentence for criticizing the great state of California?? :shock:

California turned off my Internet! :lol: nah they are used to my criticism by now..... Half my sentences here start with "no wonder this state is broke"

Actually I don't know what that was.... I was finished.

I find it hard to ask for help because I got the impression during my mainstream days that asking for help was the worst thing that I could. My brother and sisters didn't need help so I shouldn't need help either. My parents resented that I needed help in areas that my siblings sailed thru.

Now I have no problems with terps and that kind of things but I still don't like to ask my neighbor to help me with calls.

You know, many, many adults got the same message growing up. Asking for help = weakness...and never, ever let anyone see your weakness. That attitude comes from a general lack of trust in the parents.

We all need help from time to time. No shame in asking. I have to convince clients of that all the time, and remind them that had they been able to ask for help sooner, they probably would not have stayed in their misery for as long as they did. I can usually get the point across by reminding them that I ask for their help in every session when I ask them to tell me things that helps me understand more.

My point was clear in the statement I made. What part of it don't you understand? If the school district says they don't have the funding for extra-curriculur terps, too bad. They are still legally obligated to provide one.

You also mentioned, if you will review your own post to which I responded, that you suggested she look for creative ways to fund it. That is not the parents' responsibility. It is the school district's responsibility.

meant saving his life.

Extra curricular activities that are school sponsored (sports, clubs, etc) are subject to the same ADA requirements for accessability as are his regular school day academics.
Of course it is necessary. This contributes to his socialization, and school has more of an impact on a school aged child when it comes to socialization and fulfilling those developmental needs that even the family does.

As long as it is a school sponsored activity, such as the ones you mentioned, then accommodation is subject to the same criteria as the academic school day is.

I cou

Yes, it is worth it. If you place a child in an inclusive placement in the mainstream, then that child needs access to everything that occurs in that placement; including extra-curricular activities. To fail to do what has to be done to achieve that access is to allow the child to have less than a satisfactory school experience and less benefit than that which is obtained by hearing peers.

Back