Should Evolution Be Taught To Our Children In The Classroom?

Yeah, but where does the hydrogen come from? :giggle:
In the bold....Amen!

When something is a mystery it does not indicate any evidence that supports a godly existence (or other), it's simply a mystery - unknown. So you can't plant your view(s) on a mystery. For no one knows one way or the other.

As for Evolution vs. Intelligent Design, I believe both should be equally presented in the schools. Allow the students to make up their minds or their parents can guide them towards one or the other at home.

As Botts said if you don't want your children exposed to one side or the other, enroll your child into a private school that teaches strictly one or the other OR home school them.

ABSOLUTELY! I totally agree 100%. But, sadly, the teaching of evolution in public schools in unconstitutional. Isn't that pathetic.

Perhaps because gravity is something tangible while millions of years in history is not.

Well, "Gravitational Theory" is our explanation of the phenomenon we know as 'gravity'.

It is a law of gravity that if you drop an object here, it will fall to the ground, but it is Gravitational Theory that explains how and why this occurs.

Gravity is a law, but we understand and explain it through a theory.

As for Evolution vs. Intelligent Design, I believe both should be equally presented in the schools. Allow the students to make up their minds or their parents can guide them towards one or the other at home.

As Botts said if you don't want your children exposed to one side or the other, enroll your child into a private school that teaches strictly one or the other OR home school them.

Who's version of intelligent design should be taught?

You can teach intelligent design without outright promoting one specific religion. You can go with a broad statement:

Many people believe that the universe came into existence by way of intelligent design, the belief that the universe was created by a higher being or supernatural force. There has been archeological evidence to support that this may have happened but archeological evidence also supports evolution. However there isn't enough evidence to completely prove or disprove either of these, therefore they are theories and are not law. There are also theories that support both of these in a combined theory. The universe is constantly changing and scientists continue to study and debate these theories. As scientists discover new things we may begin to learn and understand how our universe came into existence.

YES, I believe evolution should be taught in schools; if people want to bring in religious dogma that's a personal decision to be discussed among the family or in a private school that represents the individual's family belief system.

their are all sorts of theories regarding gravity, yes.

Have you guys ever heard of a magazined called, Scientific American? Maybe they have copies of the current issue in your local library. That magazine will grant you a wealth of highly interesting scienctic information. I recommend it.

You guys won't believe me if I told you but did you know that my favorite book of all time is the bible. I have read it twice in my lifetime and I still read it today...not as much as I use to but, regardless, I still do. Of course I don't read it gain any spiritual maturity but to enjoy of its deep wisdom. Now I bet that's a surprise.

I read that once in while.

I agree. It all started somewhere. Where and how is what people get all caught up in, and there's no need to really. Life is a miracle, even if it started in a primordial soup bowl.

I'm just saying, some humans need to revise their thinking about how life was/is created and how it evolves. I'm perfectly okay knowing that I am the result of billions of years of perfect coincidences and small, miraculous mutations. In fact, that is much more special and divine to me than thinking I was created just the way I am by some authoritative figure.

Agreed.

And to answer the OP's question, yes the theory of evolution should be taught. It can be scientifically supported.

Agreed.

And to answer the OP's question, yes the theory of evolution should be taught. It can be scientifically supported.

I don't think intelligent design should be taught as it isn't supported by science. I do not want our country to end up being backwards because we got taught bad science.

Now if they were to come up with good scientific support, I'll revise my opinion when there's evidence for it that's accepted by scientists.

I don't think that atheism and spirituality are necessarily exclusive though. Not all religions are theistic.

I think it's very important that evolution be taught - it's arguably the most important concept in biology as it logically connects the other areas in the field and explains the origins of complex organisms. Intelligent design really would be better suited in a social science or history class since it's not supported by evidence and there is no way to experimentally test it.

Some people mentioned the origins of the first lifeforms or similar - I felt the need to point out that strictly speaking, that is considered to be abiogenesis, not evolution. It's a different question (though it is related).

I don't think intelligent design should be taught as it isn't supported by science. I do not want our country to end up being backwards because we got taught bad science.

Now if they were to come up with good scientific support, I'll revise my opinion when there's evidence for it that's accepted by scientists.

I don't think that atheism and spirituality are necessarily exclusive though. Not all religions are theistic.

I wanted to ask a question regarding your personal writing. It is quite good. Do you write often - in personal journals, blogs, creatively, etc.? You read well. I can invite you, if you you are so inclined, to be a member of a writer's board I frequent often. If you are into writing you will feel quite at home there. Yes?

__

I wanted to ask a question regarding your personal writing. It is quite good. Do you write often - in personal journals, blogs, creatively, etc.? You read well. I can invite you, if you you are so inclined, to be a member of a writer's board I frequent often. If you are into writing you will feel quite at home there. Yes?

__

Thanks. I just post. I used to read a lot when I was younger. I have a hard time writhing lengthy anything. Thanks for the invitation though.

My high school teachers said I had a flair for writing.

I can see ability, potential, and talent a mile away. I think that if you joined my clan of writers that you may discover that your teachers where right on target with their words.

Send me a PM if you decided to join my group.

I am currently beginning to read a book on that very subject.

162743_150228835029076_100001258821273_291446_5767915_n.jpg

Does anyone know about the Miller-Urey experiments and the later subsequent experiements patterned after it? It is one of the first experiments a long time ago in an attempt to replicate the early Earth's environment to bring forth organic compounds from inorganic compounds to test for the occurrence of chemical origins of life.

I was taught evolution in high school, but also, I was never really taught creationism....but since we live in such a connected world with internet and all, we can't but help know what is evolution or creationism regardless of where/what we were taught, right?

I mean, the children who learned creationism in school or church will have to know about evolution eventually since they will come across it in magazines, newspapers, etc, right?

I think it's very important that evolution be taught - it's arguably the most important concept in biology as it logically connects the other areas in the field and explains the origins of complex organisms. Intelligent design really would be better suited in a social science or history class since it's not supported by evidence and there is no way to experimentally test it.

Some people mentioned the origins of the first lifeforms or similar - I felt the need to point out that strictly speaking, that is considered to be abiogenesis, not evolution. It's a different question (though it is related).

Good to see you back on the forum, rraja!!! Lol, did you say those based on the 7.012 you took?

Back